View Poll Results: What phone did you have before a Style?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • This is my first Blackberry!

3 21.43%
  • I am a hardcore Blackberry fan, this phone is a hardcore Blackberry!

10 71.43%
  • I have a Style, but I am thinking about changing to a different Blackberry.

1 7.14%
  • I have a Style, but I am thinking about getting a non Blackberry phone instead.

0 0%
    What kind of phone did you have beforehand?
    Did you have a Blackberry, or is this your first Blackberry?
    I would love to know the reasons as to why you went with the Style.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by darkangel07760; 03-04-11 at 01:41 AM.
    03-04-11 01:37 AM
    I am sorry, I cannot change option 2. I was trying to communicate that this option is for someone who is a longtime/big fan of Blackberry, and that they feel that the Style is on par with better Blackberrys out there. I hope that makes sense!
    03-04-11 01:43 AM
    The Style is my second BB. First was a 8330 Curve.
    darkangel07760 likes this.
    03-04-11 05:48 AM
    This is my first BlackBerry, and my first "real" smartphone. Sprint is now claiming that the Samsung Instinct is/was a smartphone, but... shudder. I had it for a year and a half. It's more like an unholy smartphone/feature phone hybrid.

Back at the end of 2009 I needed a new phone, and I needed something cheap, being unemployed. So I got the Samsung Reclaim. Though I disagree with Instinct-as-smartphone, going to a regular feature phone after it was a nightmare. Everything I wanted to do on it other than calling people was laborious or impossible. Web-browsing was a nightmare. (Although it was still for the most part better than the Instinct's native browser, which was painful enough using to cry over.)

Fast forward a year, and my Reclaim isn't holding up to the 9000+ minutes of talk-time per month I use it for. I got a bunch of gift cards for the holidays so that I could get a new phone to replace the struggling Reclaim. I had been looking at the EVO with envy for months, especially after my sister-in-law got one. I was researching that and other Android phones for months. Talking to a friend of mine, she said, "Why not look at BlackBerry?" I'd played with a few BBs in the past, but the keyboards were cramped, in my opinion, and I didn't like the track-nipple. Plus, I wasn't wild about the form-factor. However, the more I reflected on my Instinct, the more I realized I really didn't like the candybar form factor either.

Enter the Style. I saw it and researched it online. I went to the Sprint store. I spent somewhere over an hour testing it out and handling it vs. the other BBs and the EVO, and some other Android candybars. The BB was, for me, the easiest and most intuitive to navigate. It felt the best in my hand. The keyboard was great. The trackpad was, I thought, a brilliant concept. And it was a flip-phone! I'm a flip-phone girl. I love the form factor.

The Style had everything I really wanted and needed in a phone, and it felt like the phone for me. The Androoid devices didn't. So I am the happy owner of my first-ever BB, and would be happy to give RIM a shot for my future phones.
    03-04-11 10:09 AM
    Thank you Ferretling! I really appreciate your input it is very well thought out. I have always like flip phones as well. I ended up withe the Bold because I like how it feels solid in the hand. However, I am going to give the style another look. I still have plenty of time within my 30 days.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-11 11:44 AM
    the style will be my 5th blackberry and my favorite of all. its the quickest and its has a big screen and all the goodies a highend BB has. Best of all its a flip. my first BB was the pearl then curve, then tour then bold now Style. But lol BB was not my only Smart phone, i did have the Pre another great phone and i also had the Samsung moment. I will say though i am waiting to see what BB will come out with next. If Sprint has some sort of BB touchscreen with a keyboard aka Bold touch or torch then im all over it.
    03-04-11 12:56 PM
    the style will be my 5th blackberry and my favorite of all. its the quickest and its has a big screen and all the goodies a highend BB has. Best of all its a flip. my first BB was the pearl then curve, then tour then bold now Style. But lol BB was not my only Smart phone, i did have the Pre another great phone and i also had the Samsung moment. I will say though i am waiting to see what BB will come out with next. If Sprint has some sort of BB touchscreen with a keyboard aka Bold touch or torch then im all over it.
    Thank you! This is quite helpful. Would you consider a Style a high end Blackberry like the Bold?
    03-04-11 06:57 PM
    Thank you! This is quite helpful. Would you consider a Style a high end Blackberry like the Bold?
    yes they have similar specs, but few differences. Style has OS6, camera is better on the style but the Bold is a world phone and has a slighly better screen resolution.
    03-04-11 09:52 PM
    True the Bold is stated having a better screen res, but I don't notice the difference.
    I don't need a worldphone, I realized after two weeks of use.
    03-05-11 02:17 AM
    By far I prefer the Style's larger keyboard than that on the Bold. Don't let anyone try to BS you that the Style is inferior by any means. The slightly lower screen resolution isn't that terrible, but this is definitely the most powerful CDMA BlackBerry available, and is on par with the 9780.

I broke in on the 8330, graduated to the Tour, and my wife got a BOGO deal and gave me the Style for Christmas last year. While some folks don't 'like' the clamshell design, it is well laid-out, comfortable to use, I don't have to scroll up onto the screen any more, and the sucker balances in my hand like it's meant to be there. And I like that.

03-05-11 03:33 AM
    yes they have similar specs, but few differences. Style has OS6, camera is better on the style but the Bold is a world phone and has a slighly better screen resolution.
    And the Bold does have one other advantage. A wider range of accessories due to wider distribution and similarity to Tour. This is one of the few gripes about Style that some have.

03-05-11 03:37 AM
    lol @ track-nipple.

This is my first BB. I wanted a full keyboard in a compact size and this fits the bill. An added bonus is the screen is pretty big for a non-touch device since it has more room to work with when unfolded.
    03-05-11 11:08 PM
    I like the SLEEKNESS of this phone. Very clean-looking and unfussy! I really like that, on top of the other likes I have for it.
    03-06-11 12:29 AM
    By far I prefer the Style's larger keyboard than that on the Bold. Don't let anyone try to BS you that the Style is inferior by any means. The slightly lower screen resolution isn't that terrible, but this is definitely the most powerful CDMA BlackBerry available, and is on par with the 9780.

I broke in on the 8330, graduated to the Tour, and my wife got a BOGO deal and gave me the Style for Christmas last year. While some folks don't 'like' the clamshell design, it is well laid-out, comfortable to use, I don't have to scroll up onto the screen any more, and the sucker balances in my hand like it's meant to be there. And I like that.

I totally agree with you that this Blackberry is the most powerful CDMA one right now. This is one of the reasons why I got it.
    03-06-11 12:30 AM
    I had a 9650, before that a 9630 (and before that, a Palm Centro). My main complaint with flip phones was that they seemed underpowered for what I wanted, but the Style is great. Right now my only issue is the lack of cases.

I am keeping the 9650 for international travel, however.
    03-06-11 02:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD