So first the extra 10 dollars that they will be charging us per phone bothered me but o well I can deal with the extra 20 dollars better than other carriers blackberry plans from what I hear but now they are taking away my yearly upgrade and now I have to wait two years for the cheaper upgrade price just seems like sprint is moving backwards in customer appreciation
    02-21-11 01:05 PM
    Agree. I am gone in August (2 of my 4 lines will be out of contract, the other two lines will have ETFs <$100 each).

I can get a family plan with 4 lines at AT&T or Verizon for LESS than Sprint (since Sprint forces me to pay for data on added lines that don't need it).
    02-21-11 05:09 PM
    The qualifications were very low to allow you to get to do so yearly.
    For some...but if I have 2 lines on the 3000 minute family plan ($169) I am Gold.

If I have 10 lines, split between 2 5-line family plans (2 x $129 plan +$60 = $380/mo), I am Silver.

That is why I am upset. I spend as much money ($169) each month with my 4 lines as someone with 2 lines, they are Gold, I am Silver.
    02-21-11 05:19 PM
    For some...but if I have 2 lines on the 3000 minute family plan ($169) I am Gold.

If I have 10 lines, split between 2 5-line family plans (2 x $129 plan +$60 = $380/mo), I am Silver.

That is why I am upset. I spend as much money ($169) each month with my 4 lines as someone with 2 lines, they are Gold, I am Silver.
    I'm not trying to be nit-picky here.

You do spend as much total as someone with 2 lines, but you do not spend as much money per phone. That is what they seem to be looking at, what you are spending per phone, as their subsidy is per phone.

I can understand your sense of upset about this. I don't know how long you've been with Sprint. I can say that, if you've been with them 10 years or more, your main line qualifies for Gold status no matter what plan you have.

I've been a premier customer since 2007 or 2008... I can't recall which. One of the things that qualified me for it was the Simply Everything plan. I don't think it was possible to get Premier status without spending that $99/month on a single line or being with Sprint for 10+ years. (I could be wrong.) Admittedly, I was surprised and not entirely thrilled when Sprint decided to lower the Premier requirements, because I was worried that, at some point, it would bite them in the **** and they'd ditch the program. So, while I can appreciate the frustration, I can also see their reasoning behind things.

I do think that they should re-visit their family plans. Between them I doubt my parents use more than 200 minutes on their phones, and they don't use any data. On the other hand, they are both Premier Gold customers because they've been with Sprint since 1999.

Maybe I'd have a different perspective if I were going to end up Silver instead of Gold. But... there's my opinion, for what it's worth.
    02-21-11 07:42 PM
    Yea good luck with the capped data at ATT or the ungodly pricing at Verizon. Sprint has the best customer service and is still cheaper than the other demon carriers. Yea the early upgrade policy sucks but even with that and the 10 dollar data its still better value.
    02-21-11 08:41 PM
    Someone has realized they are losing money and decided to raise the bar (not take away the yearly subsidy), and you are upset?
    Exactly... They are still going to be cheaper than the other two and have as good service.

Frankly, I was stunned when the store rep told me how much the Everything Data plan was. A few years ago $80 a month would have gotten you only a limited number of phone minutes and texts. I couldn't get my name on the contract fast enough. And the customer service was excellent.
    BayouBengal21 likes this.
    02-21-11 10:05 PM
    I call BS on the idea that Sprint is losing money by "subsidizing" the phones. The difference between the subsidized price and the "retail" price is always greater than $200. They claim the ETF is protection for them to not take a loss if you walk before the contract expires. So if I get a "free" phone and pay the $200 ETF a month later, are they losing money? How is it that Sprint is raising data prices yet Virgin Mobile (Sprint) is $25/mo? I know $10/mo doesn't sound like a lot, but put it into perspective with Virgin Mobile and that $10/mo is almost 1/3 of the price of the entire Virgin plan which includes unlimited data and text also. I know people will say "but VM only gives 300 minutes!" But let's be real, most people don't talk that much anymore, they text and facebook. VM also doesn't roam but I don't know many people who would buy a phone that doesn't work the majority of the time... I'm strictly comparing prices, not service. Let's put aside the monthly cost comparison between Sprint and VM and get back to this subsidy nonsense... LG Optimus on Sprint = $350 "retail", VM Optimus is $150 with no contract (or ETF). 24mos on VM = $600 (I'm pretty sure this is tax and fee free... They probably don't even have activation charges!) 24mos on Sprint = $1680 before taxes and fees, $1920 after the additional $10 fee. So Sprint is raising rates for loyal (contract) customers and letting pre-paid pretty much get a free ride. Where are they making money from pre-paid by offering the phones for roughly the same as the "subsidized" post-paid phone, and charging significantly less for the monthly service?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-11 11:18 PM
    I call BS on the idea that Sprint is losing money by "subsidizing" the phones.
    I agree with you to some extent. I think they do take a hit on smartphones. Of my 4 lines on my family plan, I have one smartphone that Sprint subsidized, 1 subsidized dumbphone, 1 refurb purchased from Sprint.com (dumbphone), and my GF bought her phone on craigslist.

To take your example even further, a Virgin mobile Optimus costs $150, and you can pay for one month of service and switch. Sprint charges $49 for the same thing with a 2 year contract. Virgin, which is wholly owned by Sprint, apparently can make money selling non-contract phones for only $100 more than Sprint with plans that cost about $60 less each month. AND with Virgin, there is no guarantee anyone will be around for 1 year, let alone 2, and no ETF to recoup any subsidy. Sprint also gets a $36 activation fee out of you. I suspect Sprint customers are subsidizing Virgin too.

As for capped data...people...we have BB's which are the slowest (data-wise) smartphones on the market. If I cared about data speeds I wouldn't get a BB. If it is the amount of data used, even with my Epic I only exceeded 5GB used once in 6 months. So not an issue.

Finally, almost as irritating as the changes Sprint is making, is the blind repetition by Sprint fans that Sprint is so much cheaper. For a single line plan, yes it is true. But I have done the math...if I upgrade any 2 of my lines to new smartphones, I will pay $30 to $40 more per month with Sprint than either Verizon or ATT.

Why are VZW and ATT cheaper? Because each of them will let me only pay for what I need. My 9 year old daughter that lives with her mom does not need data...but Sprint makes me pay $20 each month for her cheap little Sanyo. The line we ported into Sprint when we canceled our landline does not need data, but Sprint has me paying for it. My GF does not need data, because her work supplies her with a BlackBerry. I am the only one that needs it, so Sprint decided all my lines should be forced to have it.

The introduction of tiered data plans elsewhere has actually made them cheaper. Sprint provides no incentive to stay, and is in fact taking incentives to stay away. So in August, I and my money are gone. Simple.
    02-22-11 07:53 AM
    Sprint still has the lowest price,
    they give yearly to 169 and up.
    Other carriers don't
    In Canda, they get to get subsidised for 3 years

quit your whining everyone. I'm sorry that it annoys you.

We Americans are so Spoiled.
    02-22-11 08:10 AM
    We Americans are so Spoiled.
    And how did this happen? Oh, right, because the companies gave one thing, that took it away.

Sprint only has the lowest price if you have a need for 1500 minutes and data services on all lines in a family plan. If neither is true, Sprint is not the cheapest. Sprint gives you more for your money than anyone else...but if told I could spend $3 and get 3 bagels or spend $3.50 and get 300 bagels, but I had to eat them all myself, is 300 bagels for $3.50 really any better than 3 for $3?
    Last edited by anthromatt; 02-22-11 at 08:19 AM.
    02-22-11 08:12 AM
    To take your example even further, a Virgin mobile Optimus costs $150, and you can pay for one month of service and switch. Sprint charges $49 for the same thing with a 2 year contract. Virgin, which is wholly owned by Sprint, apparently can make money selling non-contract phones for only $100 more than Sprint with plans that cost about $60 less each month. AND with Virgin, there is no guarantee anyone will be around for 1 year, let alone 2, and no ETF to recoup any subsidy. Sprint also gets a $36 activation fee out of you. I suspect Sprint customers are subsidizing Virgin too.

Looking at Virgin Mobile, $150+ tax is the cost for the phone, but there is nothing saying that you have to activate it and pay for a month of service. So technically, you can potentially walk away after spending just $150. They cant force you to activate it. If we were to buy it from Sprint with a new contract for $50, and then pay the ETF right away and keep the phone, you would be out $286 + tax and other fees (this includes activation) and at least a few dollars for service fees for the few minutes or hours before the account is canceled and shut off. This is at least $100 cheaper than buying the phone at "retail". So, lets say that you have a broken phone and need a new one... it is technically cheaper to buy a new phone with contract, then cancel and pay the ETF, than it is to pay them "retail" price. So that ETF is supposed to cover the "subsidy" right? Does the inflated "retail" price allow them to sell the phone and make a profit? If so, why would they allow a work around like the example I gave above which would allow me to buy the phone and strip them of their profit? How can Sprint give away the phone on Virgin Mobile for $150 with no further commitment?

I still think that they're lying about this supposed subsidy. I cant think of any product that is bought at wholesale and then isn't sold for a profit. They used to at least try to keep this illusion alive because pre-paid phones had always been more expensive in not only up front cost, but in monthly plan costs as well. Lets remember the original reason for their existence...people with bad credit. The whole idea that anyone can now get a pre-paid phone and plan for LESS than those under contract is just crazy! I think that one of the main reasons that Sprint has Virgin is not only to inflate their "subscriber growth", they're probably hoping to get Boost Mobile customers to switch, as well as traditional Post-Paid customers to switch. In this case, the person has paid (more) for the Boost phone and service, then pays for the Virgin phone and service. They ding them twice and maybe then they're making some money? haha
    02-22-11 09:48 AM
    No, not upset, even though its 10 bucks more im still very much happy with my lower prices.
    02-22-11 10:59 AM
    As a dealer both Verizon and Sprint are stopping the one year upgrades. I don't sell ATT but I would bet that if they haven't already, they will. The thing is people are buying much more smart phones and this is a higher cost to the carriers. They could probably keep the new phone every year if they didn't make a 400 dollar phone 50 bucks, but then you would cry about the prices being too high.
    02-27-11 02:02 PM
    And how did this happen? Oh, right, because the companies gave one thing, that took it away.

Sprint only has the lowest price if you have a need for 1500 minutes and data services on all lines in a family plan. If neither is true, Sprint is not the cheapest. Sprint gives you more for your money than anyone else...but if told I could spend $3 and get 3 bagels or spend $3.50 and get 300 bagels, but I had to eat them all myself, is 300 bagels for $3.50 really any better than 3 for $3?
    You're making this Jersey Boy crave a bagel haha... I've found a few decent bagels here, but it's not the same.

While you said how Sprint isn't the cheapest for family plans because they charge for data on 2nd line whether the phone is capable of using this feature or not, this is true, but another thing I forgot to mention earlier and I'm pretty sure no one else has mentioned... Sprint is HORRIBLE when it comes to pricing their phones! The initial price is usually on par with other carriers, but they rarely if ever lower prices no matter how long the phone has been out! A Touch Pro 2 is still $199 on contract!! Really Sprint? same price as the Evo for an ancient WinMo phone?! Look at the Bold... still full price... Verizon may be more expensive for most people monthly, but if you consider that they usually have lower priced phones, it may even out. AT&T also... Go to Best Buy... Sprint Bold 9650=$199, AT&T Bold = FREE. If difference in price is divided by the 24mo contract, the plan prices might be closer than others think.
    Last edited by danisnotstan; 02-28-11 at 02:47 PM.
    02-28-11 02:32 PM
    Well customer "appreciation" aside, in my experience, their customer "support" has been great. And no matter which carrier you're with you need good support.
    I once heard a lady talk about how much she was paying for service for 6 phones on AT&T at a radioshack store and my eyes bugged out! She would save HUNDREDS if she went with Sprint. I don't know all the details, but if you need a shared/family plan & need data then Sprint is, in my opinion, the way to go.
    As far as upgrading goes, I haven't checked that out compared to other carriers, but I just assume to cross that bridge when I come to it. A lot changes in a year or two and I don't wanna find I've switched carriers prematurely, 'cos of the current conditions of something I don't need to fret about at this point.
    I've got two great phones; an LG Optimus & BB Style for free. And I have a plan that covers all my needs at a comfortable monthly price. And customer support has been wonderful to me. I'm happy. No sense in fixing what aint broke.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-11 07:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD