Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
01-12-10 12:13 AM
56 123
tools
    I saw a video that a guy turned off the clicking noise on the storm 2, when he was using the screen no noise at all, how do you do this? is it easy?
    11-30-09 01:58 PM
    I would like this also. The clicking is annoying in a meeting.
    11-30-09 02:03 PM
    Please post link of said video...
    11-30-09 02:06 PM

Posted originally by Salomondrin
    11-30-09 02:10 PM
    yep, its possible to do

requires some voiding of the warranty to do it
    11-30-09 02:13 PM
    That's an old video from before the phone hit the market....
    11-30-09 02:17 PM
    Damn to bad there is not a option, I am a S1 owner and if that was possible with an easy click, then I would be even more sold to buying
    11-30-09 02:19 PM
    yep, its possible to do

requires some voiding of the warranty to do it
    Care to explain ?
    11-30-09 02:45 PM
    You have to modify the phone physically. Its a physical noise.
    11-30-09 03:05 PM
    You have to modify the phone physically. Its a physical noise.
    well obviously....
    I have no qualms about voiding a warranty.... make with the instructions already
    11-30-09 03:10 PM
    I think if you run a search you will find it in the forum, I remember seeing it at one point.
    11-30-09 03:11 PM
    I am guessing that eventually it may become an option "Stealth Mode." Ha ha ha, but I'm surprise that no one has created some 3rd party app that can stop the electronic click (I guess it's too embedded into the software).

RIM if you're listening, "Stealth Mode" was my idea!
    11-30-09 03:14 PM
    BT did a nice little write up over at The BlackBerry Zone
    11-30-09 04:40 PM
    There's no way you would be able to stop the clicking noise with software. The sound your hearing is the screen going up and down when you click it therefore its a hardware thing. Now if in the future RIM put a feature in the OS that enabled you to switch b/w clicking the screen and using it like a normal touch screen device that would solve your problem. But the sound doesn't really bother me and you knew it made the sound when ya bought it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-09 04:49 PM
    There's no way you would be able to stop the clicking noise with software.

Wrong. Notice that when you hit the lock/power button, the screen gets stiff and does not move? that is software.. The screen is completely software controlled. Look at BOLT and Opera... They do not use the click at all.. so it is possible that someone could make and app that does not require clicking, however, RIM would have to implement that into the OS to make it OS wide, instead of just one app.

Basically, the only way to get the phone to not have to click, is if RIM codes an option for that into the OS. Which is probably unlikely. Who knows... I am sure you can screw around with the engineering screen on the S2 and change the numbers for the screen force, and make it so you just have to touch the screen for it to register as a click..
    11-30-09 05:02 PM
    Wrong. Notice that when you hit the lock/power button, the screen gets stiff and does not move? that is software.. The screen is completely software controlled. Look at BOLT and Opera... They do not use the click at all.. so it is possible that someone could make and app that does not require clicking, however, RIM would have to implement that into the OS to make it OS wide, instead of just one app.

Basically, the only way to get the phone to not have to click, is if RIM codes an option for that into the OS. Which is probably unlikely. Who knows... I am sure you can screw around with the engineering screen on the S2 and change the numbers for the screen force, and make it so you just have to touch the screen for it to register as a click..
    That's pretty much what I said. So your saying that someone could create an app that makes the sound of the buttons under the screen silent? That's not possible buddy. Yes the screen locking and unlocking is controlled by software but the actual noise is hardware and wouldn't be able to be stopped by an app. RIM would have to make an option in the OS that enabled you to either click the screen or just touch it. Which you pretty much reiterated from my post and then told me I was wrong.

Also the OP was talking about still clicking the screen but making it silent not disabling the screen click.
    Last edited by tyler.hopkins; 11-30-09 at 06:24 PM.
    11-30-09 06:16 PM
    That's pretty much what I said. So your saying that someone could create an app that makes the sound of the buttons under the screen silent? That's not possible buddy. Yes the screen locking and unlocking is controlled by software but the actual noise is hardware and wouldn't be able to be stopped by an app. RIM would have to make an option in the OS that enabled you to either click the screen or just touch it. Which you pretty much reiterated from my post and then told me I was wrong.

Also the OP was talking about still clicking the screen but making it silent not disabling the screen click.

+1 go team Hopkins :-)

11-30-09 07:37 PM
    Hopkins.... Reading comprehension OWNS you, buddy. It IS completely software controlled. Its not just a mechanical click like the old storms were. There are actuallu electronic actuators that allow the screen to be depressed and clicked, all controlled by the operating system.

11-30-09 07:44 PM
    Hopkins.... Reading comprehension OWNS you, buddy. It IS completely software controlled. Its not just a mechanical click like the old storms were. There are actuallu electronic actuators that allow the screen to be depressed and clicked, all controlled by the operating system.

Actually it appears reading comprehension owns you bro. I completely agree with the screen being controlled by software BUT as I stated in my last post the OP was asking if the noise could be stopped. And I said that couldn't be controlled by software. Which is a fact....did you not read anything I said? The "electronic actuators" cannot be silenced.UNLESS it were integrated into the OS. You can't write code that stops something like the noise of a button from making a sound when its pressed. That's all I'm saying....and I'm not wrong. Anybody that knows anything about electronics would agree. Yes the phone COULD do it if the OS was written that way but its not and therefore when you press the screen in it will always make a "click" sound and an app can't stop that. Now go back and read my posts and see who has problems with comprehending simple facts. I just can't put it any simpler than that.

11-30-09 08:21 PM
    ...You are looking at it from one narrow point of view. Obviously, if the screen is depressed it will make a noise. No one is talking about that. We are pretty much entertaining the idea of being able to make a selection, without having to depress the screen and actually disabling the while clock mechanism. Do me a favor and actually read my post before responding.

Last edited by JeffH; 12-01-09 at 10:39 AM. Reason: language
    12-01-09 12:45 AM
    whole click mechanism*

12-01-09 12:45 AM
    I did read your post. ... Read the title of the post! It says: turning the click noise off? ... Your argument is pointless and has no merit. I was merely pointing out for the last time that ya can't friggin make the 4 buttons silent when you click the screen. ... this thread was not asking can I make this into a regular touch screen where all I have to do is touch the screen to make a selection? It was asking can I make the click noise STOP? Some ppl don't like the sound because its fairly loud and annoys them. And all I said was that this was a physical/hardware type thing and the noise can't be controlled by software.

Now let's recap....lol so you don't get confused.
    Were talking about the noise being turned off not disabling the click mechanism.
    And its not possible to control this with software. There's not an app for that lol.
    BUT if it were integrated into the OS to where one could say hey I don't feel like clicking the screen in I want to use my S2 like its an iPhone....then what your saying would be possible yes. This has been talked about numerous times with the S1. Just do a search and you will find plenty of threads in the subject. And yes the S2's "electronic actuators" are diff. Than the S1's but neither can be silenced by an app. which is all I was saying in my first post in this thread.
    Last edited by JeffH; 12-01-09 at 10:39 AM. Reason: language
    12-01-09 01:34 AM

+50 for reading comprehension. People love to post those "WRONG!" posts dont they? Nice Job.
    12-01-09 08:53 AM
    Ok Im just putting this info out, I have the app called storm slider the full ver and when you slider the unlock and then enter you password YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PUSH THE SCREEN SO IT CLICKS TOO ENTER YOUR PASSWORD; Its like the iphone when you just touch the screen so maybe when a new OS comes out there will be no need to push the screen on some apps..

Not to sure on this but I just wanted to put this info out there..
    12-01-09 11:16 AM
    The point would be to operate the screen where the touch worked as if the phone were unlocked, but the devices that generate the screen click would operate as if the phone were locked, which is something that is controlled electronically and can be manipulated by software.
    12-01-09 11:43 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD