09-25-09 07:55 PM
32 12
tools
    Remember this?

Storm Thunder

As to how the clicky screen works, it's rather simple: just a plate behind the display (pictured above) with a dimple to push a button on a circuit board.

Storm Odin
    In physics, the piezoelectric effect can be described as the the link between electrostatics (your finger) and mechanics.

Below is a video that I found on youtube that explains the piezoelectric effect to help you better understand how the hardware may work. This side of the mechanics wasnt really detailed in the Odin video which is understandable. This has more to do with the Odins screen and the technology behind it rather than the Odin itself.

A few comparisons of hardware that look exactly like hardware used in piezo electrics.

Hope this gives you a better idea of the evolution of surepress1 to surepress2.
    Last edited by Card Storm; 08-24-09 at 10:42 PM.
    08-23-09 02:31 PM
    sounds pretty cool. Although Im happy with my storm 1 I will still be picking up the storm 2 because of the Wifi. Cant wait. I will be able to use my BB at home and actually have a data connection. Nice!

To me the new screen technology sounds pretty complicated and expensive. I predict 249.00 with new or upgrade.
    08-23-09 02:48 PM
    sounds pretty cool. Although Im happy with my storm 1 I will still be picking up the storm 2 because of the Wifi. Cant wait. I will be able to use my BB at home and actually have a data connection. Nice!

To me the new screen technology sounds pretty complicated and expensive. I predict 249.00 with new or upgrade.
    I wonder how much retail price is...
    08-23-09 02:49 PM
    I wonder how much retail price is...
    $599 to $649 maybe
    08-23-09 02:59 PM
    $599 to $649 maybe
    Man....I dont know if I wanna sell my Thunder....
    08-23-09 03:00 PM
    Typing should end up being really fun on this device.
    08-23-09 03:35 PM
    Man....I dont know if I wanna sell my Thunder....
    im not gonna sell it. I will just put it on my extra line and use it for backup if needed. Im gonna have a hard time getting rid of any BB I buy. Im gonna have 10 by this time next year.
    08-23-09 03:40 PM
    Typing should end up being really fun on this device.
    to be honest the storm one is fine for typing on once you understand how the screen works.

For me the only thing I am truly looking forward to is the Wifi.
    08-23-09 03:41 PM
    im not gonna sell it. I will just put it on my extra line and use it for backup if needed. Im gonna have a hard time getting rid of any BB I buy. Im gonna have 10 by this time next year.
    I agree lol, I'm just gonna set this one aside and if I have any hardware problems on the S2 that require it to be sent in, I at least will not be phoneless.
    08-23-09 03:59 PM
    I agree lol, I'm just gonna set this one aside and if I have any hardware problems on the S2 that require it to be sent in, I at least will not be phoneless.
    I will probably never sell any of my BB's. I know, its kind of weird.
    08-23-09 04:04 PM
    If I can get s2 at a good enough price I wont sell my storm 1.
    08-23-09 04:07 PM
    I will probably never sell any of my BB's. I know, its kind of weird.
    Nope. Completely normal. I have every one I have ever owned in a shoebox in the closet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-09 04:18 PM
    CX is the metal plate still in use?

08-23-09 04:24 PM
    Lol I have mine in boxes where reams of copy paper comes in, but that's including all my phones

Nope. Completely normal. I have every one I have ever owned in a shoebox in the closet.

08-23-09 04:27 PM
    CX is the metal plate still in use?

I dont think the metal plate would exist as such because of the new hardware involved in conducting electric current.
    08-23-09 04:30 PM

ok good, I knew I wasnt the only one.
    08-23-09 04:38 PM
    Check out the new pic in Kevins thread of Odins insides. THink those are electrical conducted buttons?
    Last edited by Card Storm; 08-24-09 at 11:07 AM.
    08-24-09 11:05 AM

In the above pic is comparing a piezo force sensitive resistor to the "mysterious object" that talk and walks like piezo.
    Last edited by Card Storm; 09-14-09 at 08:57 PM.
    08-24-09 07:23 PM
    You guys are killing me. I was trying soooooo hard to wait until LTE to buy my next phone, but the more I see, the more I want the S2! Maybe I should take a break from Crackberry?

08-24-09 07:42 PM
    Good luck with that...taking a break from CB is like a dope fein saying he's gonna quit.

Then ends up stealing his moms TV that same night and selling it for Meth.

Someone please tell me if the picture I have posted above of the Odins battery resemble the strain guage in the right of the pic.
    08-24-09 07:45 PM
    I am really convinced that this piezoelectric idea is still accurate. Just looking at all the diagrams Im finding points the technology in the odin to piezo electricity.
    08-24-09 10:02 PM
    The object panels pertruding from the "buttons" are indeed Force Sensing Resistors.

08-24-09 10:31 PM
    Pretty good info.
    08-24-09 11:57 PM
    Card Storm you really have gone out of your way to try and explain this screen technology. Based on the info and diagrams you posted I would say the Storm 2 will use Piezo tech.

08-25-09 12:46 AM
    Wow, Card Storm. I have to say it starting to look as though you are correct. I'm not saying you ARE correct, but its looking that way. based upon the pictures of the components of peizoelectric mechanisms, I would have to say, the components surrounding the four new magical button do appear to be of a piezoelectric nature.

Good job and thanks for the extra effort in helping us answer this question!!!
    08-25-09 02:27 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD