Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
01-12-10 04:26 AM
82 1234
tools
    Nice Pics

Hope you remembered how to re assemble it.
    12-17-09 01:02 AM
    Hope you remembered how to re assemble it.
    Do I cut the blue wire, or the green wire

Actually, while I am troubleshooting it, it's been together and apart a few times!
    12-17-09 01:08 AM
    Well crap then, don't answer my question

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-09 01:30 AM
    TBacker,
    nice pictures but teardown is from/for amateur.
    Many things missed but anyway good stuff.
    12-17-09 07:48 AM
    TBacker,
    Huh?

Never claimed to be a phone design engineer, but know enough to hopefully be helpful.

Thanks for your input? I think?

Sincerely,

Amateur
    Last edited by TBacker; 12-17-09 at 08:17 AM.
    12-17-09 08:08 AM
    Why in the world do they put the cellular antennas on the bottom of the phone? You would think putting them at the highest point would increase reception by a tiny bit.
    5 inches makes no difference for coverage. However, higher might be better from the standpoint of where your hand normally grips the phone as it does attenuate the signal a bit.

The mainboard on this phone is on the lower half of the device, so from a design and manufacturing standpoint, it's easier to keep the main antenna near the electronics that connect to it. It's probably as simple as that.
    Last edited by TBacker; 12-17-09 at 08:18 AM.
    12-17-09 08:14 AM
    Huh?

Never claimed to be a phone design engineer, but know enough to hopefully be helpful.

Thanks for your input? I think?

Sincerely,

Amateur
    Please don't be mad. It was just my feedback. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to show you how should be created professional teardown.
    Anyway you made nice pictures.
    12-17-09 08:21 AM
    Please don't be mad. It was just my feedback. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to show you how should be created professional teardown.
    Anyway you made nice pictures.
    No problem.

It would be better if someone from RIM or a design engineer was doing it with more inside info, but then someone would have to send in the black helicopters and kill them
    12-17-09 08:27 AM
    The battery tab and the pad on the back door both serve the same purpose - to keep the battery seated so it doesn't loose contact with the connector. If you have no pad and no tab, any slight jarring or bumping may cause your phone to reboot.

If you have to put your own pad in, MORE IS NOT BETTER. It should only be about 1/16" to 3/32" thick and should be soft.
    After double checking, I DO have a pad on the back door, but no tab. I remember when I got it thinking it was odd for that to be missing.
    12-17-09 08:30 AM
    Hey what's your pin number? I will personally show you an uneven screen if you want. We need to get to the bottom of this because I know for a fact its not a bezel issue.

suby is correct, it is the screen that is uneven (in alot of cases anyways).

http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/wh...uneven-375902/
    12-17-09 09:22 AM
    suby is correct, it is the screen that is uneven (in alot of cases anyways).
    There must be two problems then. I know the bezel is one. Pardon the doubt - there were many that did have the bezel issue that swore their screen was twisted until they pressed the bezel back down and said "wow - that fixed it!"

Is it just the corner, or the whole side of the screen? If just the corner, is the opposite corner a bit higher?

There are two possible causes that come to mind. One was pointed out in the thread you referenced - maybe a variance in the LCD panel manufacturing where a bonding layer is thicker or thinner on one side. The other is that I believe there are small soft pads now between the back of the screen and the four buttons. It's possible that the pad on the upper corner is misplaced, missing, or has become dislodged.

I have yet to see clear closeup pics in a teardown of a recent production run Storm 2, so it's difficult to tell. The LCD assembly is, however, much more complex than the S1.
    Last edited by TBacker; 12-17-09 at 09:51 AM.
    12-17-09 09:45 AM
    Yeah at least on all the S2's I've encountered, the entire left side of the screen sits lower. The reason I've been highlighting the top left is because that's where it is most visually evident.

If I run my finger on the Green Call/Send area of the screen down towards the bottom bezel, I can feel the screen is lower than at the Red End side of the screen. Other than this oddity, the S2 is quite a beautiful device!
    12-17-09 09:56 AM
    Aside from soundium's "opinion" on this thread, I believe it is a well put together and informative post. You managed to be informative and not overload us with all of the miniscule BS that some of the "professional teardown" posts you may see. Thank you for your efforts.

@ soundium - Both of your posts in this thread lack the tact and professional decorum I would expect from an "official" representative of this site. Your posts come across as pretentious and are, quite frankly, insulting.
    12-17-09 10:28 AM
    Thank you very much for taking your FREE time to VOLUNTEER to do this mission. I definitely appreciate the detailed breakdown and all the work you did to put it together so we can better understand our units

I was curious where the accelerometer and proximity sensors are located?

TBacker,
    Just figured I would highlight the two main statements once again....FREE TIME.....VOLUNTEER

I love Monday Morning Quarterbacks that explain what you didn't do and criticize what you did as they sit doing nothing at all.
    12-17-09 10:35 AM
    Incredible. Like dissecting an alien and answers all curiosity!
    12-17-09 10:51 AM
    Very good post. I guess I'm a true addict when I read every post and don't even have a storm.

12-17-09 11:26 AM
    Keep in mind that the digitizer is just the layer on top of the LCD screen that senses touch. It's likely that the screen has cracked, not the digitizer. That said, it's all one assembly - you would replace the screen and digitizer as one unit.

There may be digitizers for sale, but that won't fix a cracked screen. Plus I don't recommend replacing the digitizer alone yourself - you have to remove the old one that is sealed to the LCD screen without breaking the screen, and then properly mount the new one without leaving gaps for dust and lint to get under it. Even RIM's supplier doesn't do it right sometimes!

This isn't for the faint of heart. Have a lot of patience and a few hours of free time. Note each step to help you when it comes time to put all of those tiny parts back together.

Finally, insurance won't cover disassembled units. One fingerprint inside, or a mauled tamper dot will signal that it was no accident.
    Just wanted to first thank you for an great & informative post!

I have recently ordered a digitizer from ebay as well LINK HERE
    My digitizer is cracked (i can feel the broken glass with my finger nail) but the lcd underneath has no damage. I understand its not easy to replace but can it be done? I have done some electronic work on cell phones, I am just hoping the adhesive would come off with some rubbing alcohol ?
    12-17-09 01:13 PM
    TBacker ,
    Thanks for the info and pics. It's nice to see what's going on inside these phones without taking them apart personally. Much gratitude !
    I await your next chapter on these.
    I hope it makes a sticky.
    12-17-09 03:59 PM
    WOW!!! Amazing...To see the insides of the Storm 2 and how it works. Simply beautiful....
    12-17-09 05:24 PM
    Thanks for this info and pictures for Storm2..
    12-17-09 08:59 PM
    My digitizer is cracked (i can feel the broken glass with my finger nail) but the lcd underneath has no damage. I understand its not easy to replace but can it be done?
    I've never had to replace a digitizer, but some googleing says that a little heat from a hairdryer and dental floss or thin fishing line to separate the layers may work. Google for +Phone +digitizer +"how to" +replace. You won't see anything specific to the storm, but the results for other phones will give you a direction to go in. Look for a phone that has the digitizer integrated into the LCD - some have a separate digitizer that is secured to the face of the phone.

Hope that helps.

For anyone with this issue - I really recommend you get the whole LCD assembly. They're close to $100 bucks, but immensely easier to change. You have a good chance of busting the LCD when attempting to replace just the digitizer layer, then you'll need the whole thing anyway.
    Last edited by TBacker; 12-17-09 at 09:48 PM.
    12-17-09 09:37 PM
    @TBacker

Here are shots of my S2. I love it, but I have the button issue, and as you should be able to see here, the 'uneven screen' problem. All along the left, the screen is deeper set than right side. I definitely have a slight warped bezel at the top of my handset, but it doesn't explain the 'dipping' of the screen. The right side actually sits a fraction higher than the top bezel, and almost flush with the side of the main body.

Oh, and the left side is definitely tougher to click. Running stock OS on 9550.

::EDIT:: Forgot to say: thanks for the teardown!!
    Last edited by dancingcrab; 12-21-09 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Lack of manners
    12-21-09 09:57 AM
    Thanks for sharing the awesome pics

12-21-09 10:28 AM
    Very informative! Great pictures as well!
    12-21-09 10:32 AM
    For anyone with this issue - I really recommend you get the whole LCD assembly. They're close to $100 bucks, but immensely easier to change. You have a good chance of busting the LCD when attempting to replace just the digitizer layer, then you'll need the whole thing anyway.
    This is why it pays to have the insurance. Slightly cheaper ($89) and there is no chance that you will screw up the repair and be totally SOL.
    12-21-09 01:21 PM
82 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD