Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
01-12-10 04:26 AM
82 1234
tools
    Thanks for sharing! Awesome post!
    12-16-09 03:55 PM
    great post tbacker, finally we know whats going on inside there. the phone does seem to have improved with software updates but as you had pointed out earlier, it has made the screen too sensitive than previous software builds. so there is no way of changing sensitivity for different parts of the screen....honestly before rim brought this technology in to the mass, they should have done some homework.

i think they should have a recall if they want to save their storm branding.
    12-16-09 04:23 PM
    Nice tear-down... nothing that wasn't already shown in my tear-down months ago though

Storm 2 Secrets Revealed - TBZ Exclusive - The BlackBerry Zone Forums

Just teasing... nice to see other's who aren't afraid to tear it apart...

And I can show you the diff's between the pre production and final units if ya like...
    12-16-09 07:48 PM
    Thanks for the photos -- very helpful. I was especially interested in learning about the antenna configuration for both 800/1900 MHz. and the WiFi antenna at the top. It doesn't make much difference if you have a strong signal, but in my weak signal area, I really wish they had included external antenna jack(s). At least I know now how to orient the unit for maximum signal.
    Bob (amateur radio WoNXN)
    12-16-09 07:59 PM
    What an engineering Marvel!
    12-16-09 08:05 PM
    Great Pictures.
    During my day at work I open up main frame computers.
    But You are LOTS, LOTS braver than I am.
    WOW!!!

Thanks for the pictures and information.
    12-16-09 08:16 PM
    This looks sick!!! Thank you
    12-16-09 08:16 PM
    This is simply amazing... Just truly amazing... I've noticed that the vibrate was a little "off," but I just couldn't figure out why. It didn't feel as solid to me, but it always registered in the back of my mind. It was never brought forward as a high point.

This was a very educations and awesome post. I didn't even notice that there wasn't a vibration cam until you pointed it out. I was in such disbelief that I had to, first go back and view all of the photos before that, then try the vibration function to see if it was actually true.

I'm still analyzing these photos. Bravo my friend... Bravo.
    12-16-09 08:46 PM
    tbacker

What would you say about the uneven screens on top.. i mean after taking it part can you see any reason for the screen to be uneven thanks..
    12-16-09 08:58 PM
    TBacker:

Thanks for the cool pix. Lots of curiosity is now satisfied about the S2.

I'm curious how sure you are about the cable and antenna you've labeled as WiFi because that cable and antenna exist on the S1 which doesn't have WiFi. And, the antenna at the bottom of the phone you've labeled as the Cellular antenna did not exist on the S1, making me think that might actually be the WiFi antenna. What 'dya think?
    12-16-09 09:50 PM
    Hey congrats on making the home screen blog section! Now can you please tell me why the screen is slanted on many s2's?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-09 09:55 PM
    Wow you got guts opening that storm2 and thanks for sharing them pics to.
    12-16-09 10:22 PM
    Now, I have to wonder, mine is missing the battery tab. Can you tell any difference in build quality between that Canada model and Mexico version? Think that might be the cause of a few random reboots and seemingly loose back cover...
    The battery tab and the pad on the back door both serve the same purpose - to keep the battery seated so it doesn't loose contact with the connector. If you have no pad and no tab, any slight jarring or bumping may cause your phone to reboot.

If you have to put your own pad in, MORE IS NOT BETTER. It should only be about 1/16" to 3/32" thick and should be soft.
    12-16-09 10:30 PM
    Hi thanks for detail pictures of the S2, I am have slight problem with top piece where the earphone piece. it is not tighly attached to the phone,

my guess is the double side glue tape or glue loosen up. since you have experience can you please tell me what is the original blackberry use to glue the top piece? is it glue or double side tape?

any details are highly appreciated.
    thanks
    12-16-09 10:33 PM
    Have you figured out a way to solve the button issues people are having?
    That is still underway. Unfortunately the phone I am working on is binding mechanically as well, so once I fix that, I can check into the click sensitivity issue.

FWIW - RIM did crank up the touch sensitivity on OS .402 and later. It works for most people, but it is a work-around. Some have said the upper, main portion, of the screen is now too touchy (pun intended)
    12-16-09 10:34 PM
    That is still underway. Unfortunately the phone I am working on is binding mechanically as well, so once I fix that, I can check into the click sensitivity issue.

FWIW - RIM did crank up the touch sensitivity on OS .402 and later. It works for most people, but it is a work-around. Some have said the upper, main portion, of the screen is now too touchy (pun intended)
    Thats good to hear then
    12-16-09 10:41 PM
    Why in the world do they put the cellular antennas on the bottom of the phone? You would think putting them at the highest point would increase reception by a tiny bit.
    12-16-09 10:45 PM
    Yeah I was gonna buy a digitizer on eBay too. They are only $25.. Worst case scenario, I "lose" the phone and tell my brother to pay the $90 deductible and have insurance replace it
    Keep in mind that the digitizer is just the layer on top of the LCD screen that senses touch. It's likely that the screen has cracked, not the digitizer. That said, it's all one assembly - you would replace the screen and digitizer as one unit.

There may be digitizers for sale, but that won't fix a cracked screen. Plus I don't recommend replacing the digitizer alone yourself - you have to remove the old one that is sealed to the LCD screen without breaking the screen, and then properly mount the new one without leaving gaps for dust and lint to get under it. Even RIM's supplier doesn't do it right sometimes!

This isn't for the faint of heart. Have a lot of patience and a few hours of free time. Note each step to help you when it comes time to put all of those tiny parts back together.

Finally, insurance won't cover disassembled units. One fingerprint inside, or a mauled tamper dot will signal that it was no accident.
    12-16-09 10:50 PM
    Nice tear-down... nothing that wasn't already shown in my tear-down months ago though
    The more knowledge, the better

And I can show you the diff's between the pre production and final units if ya like...
    That would be great. I know that they refined the piezo disks and pressure sensors ("buttons"). I know they added little rubber bumpers between the screen and the pressure sensor / piezo sandwiches.

Did I miss anything?
    12-16-09 10:55 PM
    I didn't even notice that there wasn't a vibration cam until you pointed it out. I was in such disbelief that I had to, first go back and view all of the photos before that, then try the vibration function to see if it was actually true.
    Yeah - the vibration method was totally unexpected for me too. But, it is logical. Why add a motor and cam when there is already a haptic feedback system on board.

My daughter has a Motorola "smarter-than-dumb-but-still-dumb" phone with touch and haptic feedback, but they're pulsing the motor/cam to simulate a click. Very power hungry and ineffective. Thumbs up to the RIM engineers for thinking piezo.
    12-16-09 11:03 PM
    What would you say about the uneven screens on top.. i mean after taking it part can you see any reason for the screen to be uneven thanks..
    No offense, but I have yet to see proof of an actual crooked screen.

What I have seen is the top bezel is frequently not stuck down well on the left side, so the left third peels away from the face of the phone a tiny bit. This makes the screen look fubar, but it's an optical illusion.

Try this:

With the phone flat on a table, take a rule or straight edge and put it across the sides of the phone (side to side), on edge, over the screen.

With the bottom of the phone toward you, look along the face of the screen under the ruler (there should be a tiny gap between the ruler and screen). You will likely see that the screen is level with the ruler, but the top bezel behind it is not.
    12-16-09 11:09 PM
    TBacker, Nicely done! Seek and You shall find. And you're take-down and highlights are shedding light on many of our questions. Do you have any new insights on the bottom button issues? Still sticking with your original theory? Again, well done. : )

12-16-09 11:15 PM
    I'm curious how sure you are about the cable and antenna you've labeled as WiFi because that cable and antenna exist on the S1 which doesn't have WiFi.
    The cable is in the S1, and it terminates at the same places. However, in the CDMA S1, there is no antenna strip for the top circuit board to mate to. Not sure about the 9500.

In the S1 teardown I did, I assumed that the Bluetooth antenna, which would be very tiny, was on that top circuit board, but it was an educated guess.

What I know for sure is that the flexible antenna strip on the top of the S2 is the right size for WiFi frequency wavelengths, and it does not exist on the S1. So - I guess it's half way between educated guess and absolute certainty

And, the antenna at the bottom of the phone you've labeled as the Cellular antenna did not exist on the S1, making me think that might actually be the WiFi antenna. What 'dya think?
    The S1 did have the cellular radio antenna in the same place. It was made differently, though. Instead of a flexible ribbon antenna like you see in these pics, it was metallic traces on a large plastic piece on the bottom side of the main board.

The S1 teardown is here.
    Cryle likes this.
    12-16-09 11:21 PM
    No offense, but I have yet to see proof of an actual crooked screen.

What I have seen is the top bezel is frequently not stuck down well on the left side, so the left third peels away from the face of the phone a tiny bit. This makes the screen look fubar, but it's an optical illusion.

Try this:

With the phone flat on a table, take a rule or straight edge and put it across the sides of the phone (side to side), on edge, over the screen.

With the bottom of the phone toward you, look along the face of the screen under the ruler (there should be a tiny gap between the ruler and screen). You will likely see that the screen is level with the ruler, but the top bezel behind it is not.
    Hey what's your pin number? I will personally show you an uneven screen if you want. We need to get to the bottom of this because I know for a fact its not a bezel issue.

12-16-09 11:26 PM
    Do you have any new insights on the bottom button issues? Still sticking with your original theory?
    Let me start by saying my ground plane problem theory is just that - an educated theory. I could be wrong. Now that the lawyers are satisfied...

While RIM's solution of cranking up the sensitivity works, I still believe they are overcoming an issue with the phones ground plane connections that varies during manufacturing.

Fact - The four bottom keys on many S2's work fine out of the box on any surface with the original OS and no third party apps.

Fact - Some or all of the four bottom keys on many S2's work poorly or not at all out of the box with the original OS and no third party apps. That is - UNLESS the phone is in a persons hand, or has cables connected, or is in close proximity to a significant size metal object, all of which enhance the ground plane.

I believe the ones that work perfect on any surface out of the box are built better, or at least built tighter so that the metal parts are in better contact with each other.

I've found a few points in this S2 where I can do a little non-destructive improvement to connections.

I do want to make that subject and my findings a separate thread. I'd like this thread to stand on it's educational value and don't want the inevitable arguments over who's right on the bottom button problem to ruin that. I'll resurrect my older "Possible Cause" thread when I have more info either way.

Bear with me - I've started putting in crazy hours at my "real job" since volunteering for this mission, so things are moving a bit slowly on the R&D front right now.
    Last edited by TBacker; 12-17-09 at 12:51 AM.
    12-16-09 11:37 PM
82 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD