Any one fell like we storm2 owners have the most capable BB form factor available in the palm of of our hands, yet we are hindered by outdated software.
    This might sound like an unorthodox scenario, but envision a storm 2 with a touch based U.I. like android or winMo7 loaded on it. it would eat the competition, not saying i would prefer the later, but if we had an o.s. comparable to them i.e. one having ad webkit browser, and an actual U.I designed for touch interface, the storm2 would be a much more key player b/c simply put the storm 2 form factor is pristine.
    Last edited by dlight57; 02-28-10 at 02:57 PM.
    02-28-10 11:19 AM
    No, that's just... wrong.
    02-28-10 11:21 AM
    I envision an S2 with a webkit browser and other OS enhancements!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-10 11:26 AM

That is what i mean essentially. If we had an o.s. that was as elegant as other platforms we would have the webkit browser and other o.s. enhancements, and the storm 2 would be a much more key player. People sleep on the s2 due to its o.s. but the form factor is pristine
    Last edited by dlight57; 02-28-10 at 01:58 PM.
    02-28-10 11:35 AM
    BlackBerry OS is as capable as other platforms, RIM must only clean it up a bit and come up with the Webkit browser. Other than that the lack of app developers can ruin the experience a bit, but in addition to the essentials what else do you need, it's a smartphone after all and not a multimedia phone.
    02-28-10 11:55 AM
    There are alot of things coming for the S2 in a couple months. Webkit browser works well although the build I have is a lil shaky (I cant/wont share so don't ask) and def isn't on par with the Iphone or even android peers but def is much better then internet explorer. I don't agree with RIM's aggressive data compression as it hinders the experience but at least it will improve. I think the next Storm with a larger display and better surepress will be a game changer.
    02-28-10 01:17 PM
    It is every bit as capable. It just isn't as pretty. (outside of browsing) this arguement always kills me. There is nothing you can do on any other phone that you can't do on a berry.

02-28-10 01:27 PM
    I think the next Storm with a larger display and better surepress will be a game changer.
    I really hope the display doesn't get any bigger! You'd need a purse to carry it in. I think the iPhone is too big.
    02-28-10 01:29 PM
    I am typing this on a soon to be returned moto droid, and please, let me tell you, this is as unfinished and unpolished as an os can get. The only thing stopping me right now from goin to the verizon stord is I forgot a charger at work. Andoid is ok, and imo could be great, but when RIM gets us the webkit browser, you have it all. Don't give up on bb, and don't flame me. I'm sorry to the bb gods for my betrayal.
    02-28-10 01:37 PM
    I think the choice for a touch-screen phone will be based on the looks on the 3rd place and the capabilities on the first. The service make a strong 2nd.

You put the looks on the first which I find wrong. Preferences, preferences and preferences.
    02-28-10 01:37 PM
    I know it is sacriligious to post on this forum using a competitors device, but all I'm saying is you have it pretty wonderful. And I want back in. Thankfully, I'm within my thirty days.
    02-28-10 01:51 PM
    Umm.... WM7 can't run on this hardware, too little ram and too slow of a processor. Android on a BB? Yuck. I think the storm isn't the most powerful device out there or even the most powerful BB; but it's a DANG GOOD DEVICE

Give me a Storm2 with a 2500mah battery, 1 ghz snapdragon processor, 512 ram and rom, and I'll be a happy camper ALso a 3.7 inch screen AMOLED would ROCK.
    02-28-10 01:55 PM
    I agree with most of you whole heartedly, but it seems like some have missed the point. the title of the thread was rim maxing out storm potential. I've been with BB since the 8330 and i am hooked on the functionality of the platform, but is it to much to ask for to have that wrapped in a elegant widget enhanced environment. all of things things are supposedly on the way, but by that time the storm 3 will be out and the story will read, "the storm 3 is the device the storm 2 should or better yet could have been"
    02-28-10 02:07 PM
    Am I missing something? RIM is creating OS 5.1 soon and is trying finalize 6.0. I know one of these OS' s is suposed to be very much enhanced with widgets and such. What more do you want?

Be glad that BB OS isn't overly layered the way HTC does to their devices or WinMo. You thought S1 had lots of slowdown and needed battery pulls all the time...
    02-28-10 03:52 PM
    The BB os does what other os can do. The only thing with the BB os goes about it's business without flair.
    02-28-10 03:57 PM
    If RIM created a cool theme for the Storm/Storm2 by default, it wouldn't get as much flack as it's getting now. Getting rid of those boxes around every icon does a lot to the look and feel of the Storm OS.
    02-28-10 08:53 PM
    I know its painful but it will come soon...I really hope so

02-28-10 09:42 PM

And from what I hear, they're coming
    02-28-10 09:51 PM
    (I'll second the WebKit browser, but it's just a matter of time now).

I had a Storm 2 for about 48 hours (until I decided I wanted a 9000 instead).

I was getting used to SurePress2, but speaking for myself, having experience with an iPod Touch for almost 2 years, I think RIM should do more to accommodate iPxxx users migrating to a touch screen BB device... I think that somewhere between the current SurePress2-based UI, and the iPxxx "touch only" (no surepress) interaction is the just-right combination that will take what users like about the iPxxx interaction model and improve it via SurePress for certain types of interactions.

For example, I would like to use a flick to move up and down a scrollable area, and when I want to give focus to something, a single touch... touch that focused thing again, and no SurePress is needed. Or, touch and "surepress" something once to launch it immediately... do a double-touch is the same as a "surepress".

It would be best if various interactions were categorized (and perhaps differentiated for portrait (one hand?) and landscape (two thumb?) interactions, and they were configurable i.e. "when I'm typing on the on-screen keyboard in portrait mode, use surepress, but when in landscape mode, just touching should be enough".

Just thinking out loud here...

(p.s. I fully intend to pick up a Storm 2 again one day, but I think I'd like a Storm 3 with a full qwerty slider a la Droid or Pre)
    02-28-10 10:25 PM
    There are alot of things coming for the S2 in a couple months.....
    Speaking from S1 experience, yes i am sure there is allot coming and it will include another unfinished Storm 3 like the S2 now and S1 last year.

Dont get me wrong, i am a BB believer but logic and available information suggests that there will be no miracles in this area.
    03-01-10 05:19 AM
    It is every bit as capable. It just isn't as pretty. (outside of browsing) this arguement always kills me. There is nothing you can do on any other phone that you can't do on a berry.

Find a friend with a Nokia N97 and 3g activated. Call him from your Skype Desktop and get amazed
    03-01-10 05:24 AM

Amen..........
    03-01-10 09:33 AM
    So I was justing looking at the priv and thought man I had this idea 6 years ago and people said I was crazy
    m1kr0 likes this.
    12-19-17 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD