I am new to this whole scene but can't help notice the number of people that are tired of the BB OS. While I agree that it is kind of lame that the OS is basically the same for every BB device out there, I feel like themes totally save it. Maybe someone can enlighten me on how adding a new theme is different from an OS update. It just seems like certain themes add functionality that the OS lacks. I am having trouble seeing how an OS update (other than one that fixes bugs such as the home screen icon update one) are any better than a well written theme.

Here is a link to the thread (which links to another thread) where I found a theme that totally satisfies me.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f177/fo...r-need-369842/

I feel like I am now in possession of the perfect device...or as perfect as a smartphone could be. I am open to thoughts or opinions on this topic. What are functions that the OS lacks that themes and apps can't add?
    12-04-09 11:05 AM
    You have MUCH to learn... Your comparing themes to OS's? Wow...
    12-04-09 11:13 AM
    I am new to this whole scene but can't help notice the number of people that are tired of the BB OS. While I agree that it is kind of lame that the OS is basically the same for every BB device out there, I feel like themes totally save it. Maybe someone can enlighten me on how adding a new theme is different from an OS update. It just seems like certain themes add functionality that the OS lacks. I am having trouble seeing how an OS update (other than one that fixes bugs such as the home screen icon update one) are any better than a well written theme.

Here is a link to the thread (which links to another thread) where I found a theme that totally satisfies me.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f177/fo...r-need-369842/

I feel like I am now in possession of the perfect device...or as perfect as a smartphone could be. I am open to thoughts or opinions on this topic. What are functions that the OS lacks that themes and apps can't add?
    That's like saying why change the engine in a car when we can just change the interior and brighten things up.

The OS is the engine. Matter of fact themes seem to cause more problems with Blackberrys, that's why I never bothered to use one when I had my S2 or S1.

I think you need to read the Blackberry 101 Blog and get a better understanding of your device.

BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series | CrackBerry.com
    12-04-09 11:13 AM
    lol the things some people say.
    12-04-09 11:16 AM
    Themes are like nothing more than a "dust jacket" for your BB OS. They provide aesthetic changes only -- any functionality that appears to be "added" still must be supported by the underlying operating system.

Maybe someone can enlighten me on how adding a new theme is different from an OS update.
    Metaphorically, this is kinda like saying that changing your background wallpaper and screen icons on your PC is the same as upgrading from windows XP to windows 7.

Whatever OS version you have on your blackberry, a theme RUNS ON TOP OF IT.

Many folks like themes, and many people (like myself) simply don't care. I may have been tempted to try a few, but when I was still using my S1, I didn't like the fact that themes often slowed the OS down and/or ate up memory. For me, performance always trumps aesthetics any day of the week.

If you found one you like that runs well, great! ... but don't confuse a theme with an OS upgrade.
    12-04-09 11:19 AM
    if you want a real theme

<<< m i r o 2 . 0 >>>

try this one!

although i agree the OP needs some education on the device first lol
    12-04-09 11:20 AM
    Like the saying goes...Youth is wasted on the young!
    12-04-09 11:22 AM
    At least you admit that you're new to the whole thing.

The OS is more like the heart of the phone itself, themes just change the way it's laid out...any problems with the OS will still exist if you change the theme.

But I agree, themes certainly freshen up the phone and give it a unique feel.
    12-04-09 11:35 AM
    It just seems like certain themes add functionality that the OS lacks. I am having trouble seeing how an OS update (other than one that fixes bugs such as the home screen icon update one) are any better than a well written theme...

...I am open to thoughts or opinions on this topic. What are functions that the OS lacks that themes and apps can't add?
    Well this thread is going pretty much in the direction I predicted. So instead of just telling me how green I am why don't you attempt to answer my question? Also note that this is a topic focusing on the OS and not the hardware.

For the poster using the car example of replacing the engine, you are missing the point. The engine is the processor...the hardware. The theme is software, adding to the options I have as far as accessing and arranging ways to use different functions that the phone offers.

@ fecurtis, I certainly mentioned OS updates fixing known bugs. A theme could never do that.

Hope this clarifies what I am talking about. Flame away.
    12-04-09 11:44 AM
    ok

Themes add flash to the OS and some little enhancements like the 'today' screen and that is about it, maybe a little function

An os update adds actual function, reliabilty, speed and security. It adds the ability to go longer without charging the battery. It improves how a user can browse the web, txtand listen to music all at the same time. Without a good OS a well written theme is a candy covered turd.

Look at it this way, load 4.7.0.75 on a storm and then put a theme on there and then take the same theme and load that on a storm running 151. After this you come back and try to tell me that a theme will fix everything

You would be a fool to think so.
    Last edited by howarmat; 12-04-09 at 12:10 PM.
    12-04-09 12:08 PM
    ...What are functions that the OS lacks that themes and apps can't add?
    I think the reason why folks aren't answering your question is because it doesn't make a whole lotta sense...

Themes and apps can enhance what an OS can already do, but they can't really add what isn't there--they can only do what the OS specifically supports.

The car metaphor DOES actually work well, if you think about it specifically (and strictly) from a software perspective. Take an old beat-up car with a busted, gas-guzzler engine that barely runs. Sure, you can replace the body, add a new paint job, replace the interior, put in a new sound system, etc., and basically make a car completely over...it may look nice, but it ain't gonna run any faster, get better gas mileage, or be any more reliable if the same busted engine is still under the hood.
    12-04-09 12:45 PM
    it may look nice, but it ain't gonna run any faster
    This is a really good line and I think it translates over easily to the OS/Theme discussion.

The "Hidden Today" themes do not add that feature, only the ability to use it. The OS already supported it, it was just up to the theme actually use it.

Like was said above, no theme adds functionality. A theme may make things more convenient (like putting certain buttons in certain places, hotspots, etc.) but those things were already supported by the OS.

For another example, go download a theme that makes the keys pop up on your Storm2...you can't yet, because even if the theme tries to do it, the OS doesn't support it.
    Last edited by spyderman09; 12-04-09 at 01:03 PM.
    12-04-09 12:58 PM
    I think the reason why folks aren't answering your question is because it doesn't make a whole lotta sense...

Themes and apps can enhance what an OS can already do, but they can't really add what isn't there--they can only do what the OS specifically supports.

The car metaphor DOES actually work well, if you think about it specifically (and strictly) from a software perspective. Take an old beat-up car with a busted, gas-guzzler engine that barely runs. Sure, you can replace the body, add a new paint job, replace the interior, put in a new sound system, etc., and basically make a car completely over...it may look nice, but it ain't gonna run any faster, get better gas mileage, or be any more reliable if the same busted engine is still under the hood.
    True. But it will be allot more pleasant to drive.

The new theme builder actually allows builders to put in a bit more functionality than is curently offered on the standard zen theme. In fact the theme I'm running, has the phone running faster, than the standard fare. I think it has been optimized to have a smaller footprint. Or maybe its just in my head.

On the S2 - I highly reccomend a theme developed with the new 5.0 theme builder. 5.0 OS and 5.0 theme builder work together as well as anything else RIM does.
    12-04-09 01:02 PM
    In fact the theme I'm running, has the phone running faster, than the standard fare. I think it has been optimized to have a smaller footprint. Or maybe its just in my head.
    I agree. I use a theme that I think is "faster" than the stock theme, but I think part of it might be that since the theme has all the features/shortcuts I want, things tend to feel faster since I'm not waiting, clicking extra, etc.
    12-04-09 01:04 PM
    You have MUCH to learn... Your comparing themes to OS's? Wow...
    Thats why there is CB to educate him/her.. We all started from Ground Zero at somepoint in our Blackberry lives!!!
    12-04-09 01:05 PM
    Like was said above, no theme adds functionality. A theme may make things more convenient (like putting certain buttons in certain places, hotspots, etc.) but those things were already supported by the OS.
    This is true to the OS itself. But if you are running standard theme - you don't have allot of the functionality supported by the OS.

I think a more apt simile is: Win 7 is allot nicer if you activate AERO.
    12-04-09 01:06 PM
    This is true to the OS itself. But if you are running standard theme - you don't have allot of the functionality supported by the OS.

I think a more apt simile is: Win 7 is allot nicer if you activate AERO.
    Right, but I was getting at the fact that you can't put an AERO-theme on Windows XP ( I know, you can, but it doesn't truly function like AERO) if it is not a feature that the OS (Windows Vista or 7) actually has the capability of using.

but you make a good point, and I understand it.
    12-04-09 01:11 PM
    Well then - we're both right.

That was easy.

Now, about this middle east thing...
    12-04-09 01:13 PM
    So EXACTLY what do you want RIM to add with the next OS update? The only thing specifically mentioned here so far that the actual OS doesn't support is the buttons popping up under your finger.

When I push a button the phone executes the function immediately so speed is not an issue for me. What functions are you experiencing excessive lag on? For that matter even the famed Jesus phone lags sometimes. 99% of the time I experience no lag. I guess it could be faster if it anticipated which button I was going to push before I pushed it.

As far as reliability, the only problem I have had is with 3rd party apps. I have not had a freeze or reboot when using core functions of the OS. We can't expect RIM to double check every function of every app to make sure it's compatible. No OS update will fix that.

Security hasn't been an issue for me either. Except for my buddy texting stupid stuff to my contacts when I set my phone down I have had no breaches.

So, again, exactly what do you want RIM to SPECIFICALLY add to the OS with the next update? All I needed was something easier to use and I found a theme to do that for me.
    12-04-09 01:14 PM
    So EXACTLY what do you want RIM to add with the next OS update? The only thing specifically mentioned here so far that the actual OS doesn't support is the buttons popping up under your finger.

When I push a button the phone executes the function immediately so speed is not an issue for me. What functions are you experiencing excessive lag on? For that matter even the famed Jesus phone lags sometimes. 99% of the time I experience no lag. I guess it could be faster if it anticipated which button I was going to push before I pushed it.

As far as reliability, the only problem I have had is with 3rd party apps. I have not had a freeze or reboot when using core functions of the OS. We can't expect RIM to double check every function of every app to make sure it's compatible. No OS update will fix that.

Security hasn't been an issue for me either. Except for my buddy texting stupid stuff to my contacts when I set my phone down I have had no breaches.

So, again, exactly what do you want RIM to SPECIFICALLY add to the OS with the next update? All I needed was something easier to use and I found a theme to do that for me.
    There's always room to grow!

It has become apparent that improvements to the software can fix the issue where the function buttons become hard to press (or at least improve it). For some, the fact that some status icons don't update on the home screen is an issue they'd like to see fixed; for others, the ability to separate different mailboxes when using BES. (Just to name a few).

For the record, I don't think that I, given how I use my phone and what I use it for, have ever been happier with an OS than I am right now with .320. ...but there's always room to grow.
    12-04-09 01:21 PM
    I just want my freaking icons to update...is that too much to ask?
    12-04-09 01:23 PM
    Well then - we're both right.

That was easy.

Now, about this middle east thing...
    Haha...we might need a little more help with that...

I think this is a valid point, and fortunately, the 3rd party apps should only get better (hopefully) as the OS progresses. I think (and I am new when it comes to the BB OS as I have only used it for a year) that the OS may be hard to work with (again, I am new to it, and I am most definitely not a developer/programmer) or that there simply isn't a market for it.

Also, because the OS spans touchscreen and full keyboard devices, it is not a solid platform that all developers can work with, hence the quirky nature of some 3rd party apps

I used to have an iPhone, and while I found 98% of the apps utterly worthless to me, I'm sure they existed because of the market for them, and the OS is the OS is the OS...there is only one phone to deal with, only one set of gestures, clicks, etc. to deal with.

I think the best thing that RIM could do is to branch off an OS meant specifically for the Storm ( I know there are Storm versions of 5.0, etc. but I hope you know what I mean)...because why would a qwerty phone need pop-up keys, etc.

As for what I want out of an OS update...I don't use homescreen update icons, but I think that's a given with the number of people that use them. I would like the ability to close some apps (I realize phone and messages must always be running, since they are push services, but I should be able to close and open the browser). But, like you said, the phone runs great with little lag, so if closing the apps is not causing an issue, I don't care if that ability is added.
    Last edited by spyderman09; 12-04-09 at 01:50 PM.
    12-04-09 01:23 PM
    That is a very reasonable response. Hopefully software can fix the hard button problem that some are having. I mentioned the home screen icon update fix. That is one I'd like to see for sure. I would like more people to chime in with specifics that they would like to see updated. Maybe RIM will look this way for suggestions? Doubtful but we can dream right?

I am glad that you are perfectly happy with the stock .320 OS. But revisit the title of the thread, you aren't the one I am suggesting try a theme.
    12-04-09 01:26 PM
    I dont have a storm 2 right now but there i can easily go through a list on the storm 1 and these will apply to Storm 2 if it had a higher OS

-better bluetooth connection and quality
    -better radio/call quality
    -voice dialing is hosed
    -tweeks on the threaded SMS
    -email images working
    -no truncation on emails
    -links in SMS and email working correction
    -screen dimming
    -better browser with actual tabs
    -flash

do i need to continue? i can list probably 10-15 more things that need work. point is, theme dont fix any of this or make any of it better
    Last edited by howarmat; 12-04-09 at 02:12 PM.
    12-04-09 01:34 PM
    You make a good point, Matt. Some of those things may be fixed with an OS update. I feel like at least a few of them may be network, server issues though. And a few more may be hardware related.
    12-04-09 01:41 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD