Just a question? Like to see what people are working on? Anybody find a way to utilize OPEN GL ES? Pics, video?
    11-17-09 07:17 PM
    Well I will take a stab at it.

Media Library

Hope it works. Was found digging around the Theme Builder 5.0 Release. The transitions, as seen at the end of that movie, changes in menu, animations from composer are what we will see.

We are already seeing that in some of the new themes, as well as the home screen in landscape. Lots of the Storm1 owners are having issues, one of them being memory and second are graphical issues which could be due to lack of the API's being "opened" or whatever for Storm1. please correct me if I am wrong as I can only speak for the Storm 2 where I see no issues other than beautiful transitions and awesome new icons.

I think its a RIM fail to not allow us to set an additional wallpaper in landscape home screen. Hopefully next update.

Anyways the new Theme Builder IS USING the new API's which is part of the Open GL if I am wright? We won't see anything more spectacular OTHER THAN THE IMAGINATION of the builders in the SVG, and the eventualy limitation of the Composer where the SVG is just to big and lag restarts. Again I am not a builder so please speak up to coreect me

We are already seeing multiple screens in some of the KD themes and it is amazing. Few glitches here and there but usable. Nothing other major till the next Theme builder.
    11-17-09 10:20 PM
    I don't think OpenGL has been integrated into the OS UI yet. You'd see more 3D type stuff if it was (page turning transitions, better zoom, etc).

As new OpenGL capable phones start coming out, I expect we'll see something eventually.
    11-18-09 10:33 AM
    the new API's look pretty tame and all 2D. I see no 3d related APIs and am begining to wonder if the OPEN GL ES will be version 2.0. If so, there is a LOOOOOOONG way to go before those type of APIs are in the theme builder.

Also 2 other quick items - First - looks like updating icons only work on 1 of the 4 screens. WTF?

FINALLY WHAT GENIUS CONTINUES TO POPULATE THE BB DOMAIN WITH FLASH VIDEO? REALLY? REALLY - REALLY? VIDEO ON A BB SITE THAT NO BB CAN PLAY? Genius.
    Last edited by 1magine; 11-18-09 at 11:37 AM.
    11-18-09 11:34 AM
    I'm sure the ideas are flowing and folks are trying to figure it all out, but my best guess would be that one of the first themes would be a Cube theme.

I'll do my best to try and describe what's stuck in my head.

Imagine a home screen with what looks like a cube in the center with 12 icons (could be 4 large icons since a cube has 6 sides) on each side of the cube. Persistent information could be located all around the cube. To get to the side of the cube you want, you just flick the cube and it spins, not fast, but fast enough. Flick it from left to right, down to up, right to left, up to down, which ever way you want. Of course flicking the cube brings up different icons on each side.

So far nothing earth shattering, but lets say that one side of the cube contains your mail icons and you get an email. The cool part could be that one an email arrives, the cube automagically spins to the side with the mail icon and pulses the mail icon. Of course pressing the icon would trigger another neat transition to the mail program.

Ok, just an idea. Had to get it out so I could see what others are thinking about. Hopefully peopls will start talking about what they invision the new themes will look like. There's a lot of folks out there with some great imagination that's just waiting to be turned into a theme.

What's everyone think? What are we looking at? Will it be great difference, or just a small barely noticeable change?
    11-18-09 03:05 PM
    Wow! That would be impressive. Unfortunately I don't see any way any of the new API's would provide for this. The Cube would need to be developed in one of the new ADOBE enviroments and ported over - but there is not an API that I am aware of that would allow it to work as you have described.

I was thinking of something similar but on a much smaller scale. Where the icons themselves were fully 3d and performed some type of 3d action when hovered and then when selected.

But at this point RIM has not even opened up the landscape screen to a seperate wallpaper, or allowed development wihtin a theme for a better caller id screen.
    11-18-09 03:14 PM
    The current UI gives us 4 screens. As soon as you hit options, its all out the door. You are back to the boring list menu and all the submenu's are equally as bland. This is the section that needs to be changed. Nothing a theme developer can do about it.

It would be nice to hit the settings key and see that whole list screen turned into another Screen similar to the app screen. Just turn all those list items into icons and you are set. I don't even want to move them, just make it a little more pleasing to the eye. Its just seems that the Storm UI stops there and you are back to the old 4.7 OS.

Theme developers are left to 2 screens to really see what they can do. The usual Homescreen in portrait and now in landscape with their SVG's. They opened so much but left so much more to open, like allowing a user defined wallpaper in landscape. I guess we should be thankful we even got the screen.
    11-18-09 03:36 PM
    The current UI gives us 4 screens. As soon as you hit options, its all out the door. You are back to the boring list menu and all the submenu's are equally as bland. This is the section that needs to be changed. Nothing a theme developer can do about it.

It would be nice to hit the settings key and see that whole list screen turned into another Screen similar to the app screen. Just turn all those list items into icons and you are set. I don't even want to move them, just make it a little more pleasing to the eye. Its just seems that the Storm UI stops there and you are back to the old 4.7 OS.

Theme developers are left to 2 screens to really see what they can do. The usual Homescreen in portrait and now in landscape with their SVG's. They opened so much but left so much more to open, like allowing a user defined wallpaper in landscape. I guess we should be thankful we even got the screen.
    Exactly. Like so much that RIM developers do, its half aassed. Granted its still beta, but not holding out much hope. The caller ID/ Call screens are entirely locked down. WHY? Imagine being able to design your own caller id screen around your theme? A seperate backround and resize the picture? Its not a security issue or even a coding issue. Its some mojo nixon sitting on a high thumb, thinking to him/her self, "Nahhh, why would anyone want to acess that?"
    11-18-09 03:43 PM
    Wow! That would be impressive. Unfortunately I don't see any way any of the new API's would provide for this. The Cube would need to be developed in one of the new ADOBE enviroments and ported over - but there is not an API that I am aware of that would allow it to work as you have described.

I was thinking of something similar but on a much smaller scale. Where the icons themselves were fully 3d and performed some type of 3d action when hovered and then when selected.

But at this point RIM has not even opened up the landscape screen to a seperate wallpaper, or allowed development wihtin a theme for a better caller id screen.
    If OpenGL makes it's way into the Composer and OS UI interface, it'd be possible for sure, and not terribly difficult. Of course, that if OpenGL makes it there, and RIM doesn't pooch the Composer's use of it.
    11-19-09 11:54 AM
    I'm sorry. I like my BB - - but RIM I have no faith in. Think of how much is still not up-to-date in the core applications. Had to explain to 2 people today in seperate forums that RIM will not allow ringtones and alerts to go through any form of headset (bluetooth, wired, or otherwise). Caps on size of downloads (even to a media card?). Cut off e-mails? ....
    11-19-09 12:03 PM
    I'm sorry. I like my BB - - but RIM I have no faith in. Think of how much is still not up-to-date in the core applications. Had to explain to 2 people today in seperate forums that RIM will not allow ringtones and alerts to go through any form of headset (bluetooth, wired, or otherwise). Caps on size of downloads (even to a media card?). Cut off e-mails? ....
    Yea, there's a bunch of stuff they need to "get with the times" on. I'm not at the "no faith" phase yet, as they are addressing issues that need to be addressed, but they need to do it more quickly, and not half *** it.
    11-19-09 12:09 PM
    They let you use a different wallpaper in landscape mode in theme studio 5.0 unless you guys are talking about something else. I did it in the theme I just made. Didn't do a landscape homescreen yet tho.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by csalem77; 11-20-09 at 09:22 PM.
    11-20-09 09:20 PM
    1. Theme maker csn set wallpaper in landscape home. NOT user.

2. Try using 2 animation svgs in theme. 1 in portrait and 1 in landscape. Device will be reduced to a crawl.

11-20-09 09:28 PM
    1. Theme maker csn set wallpaper in landscape home. NOT user.

2. Try using 2 animation svgs in theme. 1 in portrait and 1 in landscape. Device will be reduced to a crawl.

Really? Well that sucks and totally explains why we haven't been seeing themes with SVG's in Both screens. I have been bugging KD about this.

Did you try this or was it posted imagine?

11-20-09 10:20 PM
    any updates?
    11-22-09 11:20 PM
    Not many. Theme builder is plenty buggy still. Of course it is still Beta. Though open Beta. Hopefully developers are reeporting their bugs, or they won't be fixed on the final release.
    11-23-09 10:12 AM
    Any update?

12-20-09 11:19 PM
    update? I'm not a developer but i'm keen to hear how you guys are progressing.
    01-14-10 08:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD