I just D/L the youtube app and then watched a couple videos. The quality sucks! Video is VERY grainy. Ive watched the same videos on my kids iPOD touch(an iPHONE minus the phone) and they are crystal clear. Is this just how youtube is on the storm or is there settings that should be changed? If so which ones and how?
    01-24-09 11:33 AM
    this is how youtube is on any phone that allows you to run streaming video. Do you realize how big an average video file is? It would take 20 minutes to watch a 3 min video at like 15-20kbps/sec. So, it's downgraded so you can watch it and hear the audio. Now, when you watch a video on the ipod touch, ITS SAVED TO THE TOUCH so it can be as big as you want it to be. Same with the storm. If you ever looked through the sample videos you had when you first got it, there was a babylon ad trailer and the picture quality was great(for a phone)
    01-24-09 11:41 AM
    You are mostly correct- however the ipod touch is streaming the same video from youtube, the only diff is the touch is connected via WiFi on my home network.
    01-24-09 12:02 PM
    Using m.youtube.com I got much better results than using the app.
    01-24-09 12:03 PM
    that's what's probably making the difference as to how it converts the file. No matter what it has to be downgraded to make it worthwhile. I can only assume that because it has the ability to work on WiFi it naturally runs a higher kbps. My curve had a much better video playback from youtube but it took forever and in some cases would only do up to 30 seconds.
    01-24-09 12:04 PM
    Yea but even using m.youtube.com is still crappier quality than onboard video or the itouch
    01-24-09 12:05 PM
    Wifi is way faster than any 3g network. I am sure if you looked at Youtube on an Iphone thru the Wifi the video would look good. Now turn off the Wifi and stream the Youtube video thru the 3g network and it will look just like the Storms video. Enjoy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-09 12:25 PM
    the I-phone uses quicktime for their streaming video. which i think gives it the better quality. where the video on the storm is more compressed because it is downloaded instead of streaming. I could be wrong.
    01-25-09 12:43 PM
    my friend has the htc diamond and his videos are almost HD like
    01-25-09 05:56 PM
    YA it blows...move on .. nothing err unable to see here.
    01-25-09 06:15 PM
    My friend has a htc diamond and his is ran just from the towers no wifi and its crystal clear so its something to do with the app even my 3g iphone was way clearer and I wasnt using wifi
    01-25-09 08:42 PM
    It's the application
    01-25-09 08:53 PM
    My theory is m.youtube is a generic site for all mobile phones. They lowered the streaming quality for the slower bandwidth phones (edge). The youtube app only gives you a different way to navigate m.youtube but the video is the exact same.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-09 09:24 PM
    It's the app, my friend's Youtube stuff on his iPhone on the 3g looks much better.
    01-26-09 01:10 AM
    From what I've read, iPhone/ipod touch looks better if they are set on WiFi. iPhone on 3G looks about the same as Storm's 3G. The dedicated GPU on the iPhone / iPod may also have something to d o with it.
    Last edited by vdiesel; 01-26-09 at 06:19 AM.
    01-26-09 06:13 AM
    if you really want to see the video in better quality...

1 get opera mini and put it on http through the options

2 using opera go to pspube.com and search

3 sometimes it will give you an error message like not fetched but just touch download again and it will work

ps

make sure you don't save right away. touch the browse then sd card, blackberry, videos

I do this while I'm using the bb browser or doing something else and just keep coming back to it. I do the high quality since the storm has a bigger screen. smaller screen phones will probably be ok with the lo res
    01-26-09 06:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD