So it was bound to happen sooner or later when you have a phone attached to you all the time. This morning My Storm went swimming in the toilet at home (I won`t say what type of water it was but it was not clean).....I watched it hit the seat and it was honestly like a basketball slow motion shot from a movie....it spun around....was it going to bounce in or out....it hung for an eternity......then splash......it barely got to the bottom before I grabbed it out.....the screen had gone white and had black writing on it (similar to the 507 writing)....I didn`t wait long enough to read it...I ripped the door off and pulled the battery immediatly.(thanks Crackberry for that because I know I read somewhere years ago that was the first thing to do).....from there I pulled the memory card.....and tried to dry up whatever I could that was visible......I gave the phone and few hand slaps with the screen facing down to get the water out from under the screen and I shuddered when I noticed white moisture of death under the screen.........I got out the space heater and propped the phone up about a foot away and turned it on medium with the back facing and let it run for about 5 mins......then the other side for 5.......I then put the heater on low and shut the door to the small room and left the phone for an hour just in range of the fan. I had to travel an hour to a job and I still kept my phone taken apart and put it on the defrost on high alternating sides for about 40 mins......(driving with the windows open I still can hardly hear).......THE MOMENT OF TRUTH!!.....I put the battery in (no memory card yet).....and the most beautiful site of my life showed up.....the sand timer.....but I remembered seeing that before the 507 before so I held my breath.........the screen went black and my heart sunk....then the Blackberry logo came up and the progress bar......all loaded up and has been working 100% for over 2 hours.....thank you Jesus:-)
    04-28-10 02:46 PM
    Gross!!!!!!
    04-28-10 03:07 PM
    Uhm....here's the most important point (even more important than "does the phone work?" or not... Did you CLEAN the phone? Man, that just sounds simply gross, the thought of using the thing. But then, the question becomes "how would you clean the inside?"

Finally, did you notice the moisture symbols change color?
    04-28-10 03:12 PM
    Nice =)

Now, did you remember to wash your hands? Personally I think that is more important.
    04-28-10 03:13 PM
    Just a little trick to help when any phone is dropped in water. Take the battery and cards out then put the phone in a bag of rice. It absorbs water better than anything EVER.
    04-28-10 03:27 PM
    Very true, but I'd add that LARGE GRAIN rice is far easier to remove than small stuff, lol. Still, one doesn't exactly have time to say "oh crap, I only have small grain, let me run to the store and buy a box of large grain." You use what you got, period. The whole desiccant thing is something that many people so often overlook.

To take this COMPLETELY off topic (but, still a good, relevant example), a neat trick when someone (note I did not say "ME") spills a glass of red wine on brand new, white carpet....pour salt (you would NOT want to do this with your phone, BTW) over the spill and wait 10 minutes, then vacuum it up and pour more salt....works like a champ!

Just a little trick to help when any phone is dropped in water. Take the battery and cards out then put the phone in a bag of rice. It absorbs water better than anything EVER.
    04-28-10 03:57 PM
    I have nightmares about doing that and always ....ALWAYS.....drop the toilet seat before I pick up my berry off of the cabinet over the toilet.
    04-28-10 04:14 PM
    Are you going to put that thing back up to your ear????
    YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    04-28-10 04:23 PM
    Hate to tell you this, but I've been witness to several phones getting wet (most recently a 9700) and even though all initially worked, over the next few days they all crapped out.

I'm no electrician, but would imagine the fine circuitry slowly starts to corrode.

Anycase, good luck. Hope you're the exception.
    04-28-10 04:25 PM
    Id call customer service and tell him... your phone is acting up... if they say its physical damage... tell em it happened during shipping.

^ that works toooooo! haha
    04-28-10 04:41 PM
    Hate to tell you this, but I've been witness to several phones getting wet (most recently a 9700) and even though all initially worked, over the next few days they all crapped out.
    "They all crapped out."
    ROTFLOL!!!!!!
    04-28-10 05:05 PM
    To be safe, you should put in a bag of rice for a day or to to make sure all the moisture is absorbed.

Then give it a good cleaning haha
    04-28-10 05:31 PM
    No paragraphs...
    No read.
    04-28-10 05:36 PM
    Let me see if I understand this right: You're recomending, in fact, ENCOURAGING, someone to LIE due to something that was their own fault to begin with? Gosh, you're a steallar example of humanity. It's people like you that contribute to increased costs and hassles when someone is truthful and has a legitimate issue. Gee, thanks.

Id call customer service and tell him... your phone is acting up... if they say its physical damage... tell em it happened during shipping.

04-28-10 06:14 PM
    I spilled hot chocolate into my cup holder in the car. On my way home for the day I put my phone into the cup holder to realize rather quickly it was full of a fantastic drink.

Resolution: Turn phone off and pull battery from the start. Go home and poor rubbing alcohol all over it to get out all the stickyness. Blow dried and let sit dry... Tada, no problems.
    04-28-10 06:46 PM

boooooooooooooo
    04-28-10 06:47 PM
    Let me see if I understand this right: You're recomending, in fact, ENCOURAGING, someone to LIE due to something that was their own fault to begin with? Gosh, you're a steallar example of humanity. It's people like you that contribute to increased costs and hassles when someone is truthful and has a legitimate issue. Gee, thanks.
    .........And you are a stellar example of a company man.

To the OP---

Good move.......quick hands........
    For all the people that infer they wouldn't have done such a thing, I don't by it. They just wouldn't talk about it.
    Last edited by jiggyb; 04-28-10 at 09:27 PM.
    04-28-10 09:22 PM
    "They all crapped out."
    ROTFLOL!!!!!!
    That was a no pun intended line

Id call customer service and tell him... your phone is acting up... if they say its physical damage... tell em it happened during shipping. a
    There are several stickers that turn color when wet, so they'll know instantly what happened. You would just look foolish trying a story like that.
    04-28-10 09:34 PM
    Not a "company man" at all.....but I do have at least SOME scruples and morals. I don't believe that telling lies to pull one over and take advantage is responsible, ethical or mature. It's something a 15 year old would pull...sadly, there are many adults that do the same. I just can't let something like that go on here, without at least pointing them out as the sleazeball idiots they are.

04-28-10 09:49 PM
    Not a "company man" at all.....but I do have at least SOME scruples and morals. I don't believe that telling lies to pull one over and take advantage is responsible, ethical or mature. It's something a 15 year old would pull...sadly, there are many adults that do the same. I just can't let something like that go on here, without at least pointing them out as the sleazeball idiots they are.
    Agreed. It's easy to think of RIM or your service provider as a faceless entity, but you end up screwing all the other customers that end up paying in the end.
    04-28-10 10:41 PM

I'm no electrician, but would imagine the fine circuitry slowly starts to corrode.

Anycase, good luck. Hope you're the exception.
    If it was not cleaned out internally, you WILL have problems, guaranteed. There is a thread someone posted on the PROPER WAY to clean a BB which does not involve rice but is somewhat detailed and give extra steps to take.
    04-29-10 12:45 PM
    Yeah, and let's not forget the oh-so-important E-Coli that will build up.........this is getting more and more gross, LOL.
    04-29-10 04:45 PM

To the OP---

Good move.......quick hands........
    For all the people that infer they wouldn't have done such a thing, I don't by it. They just wouldn't talk about it.
    Hah Thanks. Honestly wasn't time to think....all that flashed in my brain was the price of a new one.....as for the gross factor....after spraying lysol and wiping down etc I bet my phone is a **** of a lot more sterile than when you wash your hands then grab the door to the bathroom after the 50 people before you didn't wash their hands....then you go grab the menu and eat your pizza:-).......and I am not sure you should be on crackberry if you would not act first and think later if your berry got a swirlie.
    04-29-10 05:59 PM
    Oh and day 2 phone still working fine. Just still have this dam bbm problem where the keyboard gets stuck down and no matter what I do won't come back up,,,,,,used to be that I had to go to the messenger app and it wouldn't work and only didn't work when going to messenger out of messages folder.....won't come up even when using bberry button.....driving me nuts....have reinstalled over and over
    04-29-10 06:01 PM
    well if it still works who cares! the phone is a BEAST in more than one way!
    04-29-10 08:24 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD