View Poll Results: Does your phone freeze up while typing on 5.0.x.x?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It freezes up

70 42.68%
  • No. It works fine

94 57.32%
    Yes, and it's driving me nuts! It actually froze today when I tried to make a call which is the first time other then typing it has happened. Looks like I'll be making a trip to a Verizon store in the near future...
    10-31-09 10:25 AM
    I have SMS freezing issue only on my phone so this cannot be totally a hardware issue.. i think its in software. if they dont figure out a fix for this im going to throw my 9530 into the hudson river :-)
    10-31-09 01:51 PM
    I get a good amount of lag sometimes. I now get freezes requiring a reboot, but not when typing. They just randomly happen when I pick the phone up and the screen doesn't work. Just started on .328

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-09 02:31 PM
    just went to the verizon store today and got a replacement with .328 already loaded, no questions asked. it's been running smoothly so far, but a full day of texting/emailing will be the real test, so we'll see.
    11-01-09 08:01 PM
    Yes.

I've wiped mine twice with BBSAK and reloaded .328 and I still get freezing when typing on it. It's never a sure thing, but at least twice a day it locks right up
    11-01-09 08:47 PM
    Typing is awesome on 328 I love it No lag or locking up on mine
    11-01-09 11:47 PM
    ALL THE TIME! It makes me furious! I might go kick a turtle!

I feel like its only when I text a few select people though, all of which I have over 3,000 texts for and when I delete them it goes a little faster.

11-01-09 11:55 PM
    I installed 5.0 yesterday morning, and have had to do about 10 battery pulls already....
    11-06-09 03:41 PM
    It happened for me on all flavors of 5.0 (even the hybrids). I had to get another refurb. New phone is flawless.

Guys, it's pretty clear this is a hardware issue. No amount of wipes and reinstalls will fix this issue (I can say that with confidence as I wiped and reinstalled 7 times over three 5.0 OS versions.
    11-06-09 04:34 PM
    I was retting all kinds of lockups. I removed BING and the phone is working fine now.
    11-06-09 05:15 PM
    It happened for me on all flavors of 5.0 (even the hybrids). I had to get another refurb. New phone is flawless.

Guys, it's pretty clear this is a hardware issue. No amount of wipes and reinstalls will fix this issue (I can say that with confidence as I wiped and reinstalled 7 times over three 5.0 OS versions.
    most definitely. i installed the exact shrunk os (just left the folder in loader files) onto my replacement that had been on my previous 8x a day freezing phone and this one is running smoothly as ever. if you're getting lockups, save yourself a lot of grief and get another phone.
    11-06-09 06:33 PM
    Reordered a new storm today, we'll see if the problem is fixed when I get the new one, mine freezes ALL the time now, not just texts/facebook/msn/aim like at the beginning of installing 5.0
    11-06-09 06:45 PM
    Mine still freezes on almost any kind of typing ... SMS, PIN, BBM, even searching for contacts. Also freezes sometimes when I highlight several messages to delete.
    Should I call Verizon, or go to the store? When I went to the store last week, the workers had never heard of this problem?
    11-07-09 07:08 AM
    I just go mines last night and so far it is working perfect.

11-07-09 07:18 AM
    Nope, mines been working fine.
    11-07-09 12:07 PM

I was running 5.0 since .328 was released and I'm wondering how this is a hardware issue. My phone was fine up until yesterday. The phone started locking up during replies to sms messages and BBM messages. It then went to a black screen with just the backlight. Why would my hardware just all of a sudden not be able to accept this software?

I did a wipe to error 507 with BBSAK and now it's working as long as I don't try to type. It's basically a poor phone and a decent MP3 player. I'm calling for a replacement ASAP, but I still don't understand how everyone is saying it's hardware related when the phone was working fine before. I personally think it's related more to the software corrupting the hardware...perhaps a memory bank or something related to text entry or whatever recognizes the screen click..?

Perhaps it's just a matter of time for all of us on this software version? I've had this device since March 10th, 2009 I believe. First device. Almost a year with no real issues besides the crummy OS.

UPDATE: Ok, so I'm still not sure how this is a hardware issue but alas, it is. I guess I was just hung up on the concept of it being inherent to specific devices, but I guess it's just a hardware issue that all of our devices are susceptible to, it's just the luck of the draw if you run into it or not.

My last attempt to fix this issue(BBSAK wipe, load of 4.7 OS, remove SIM, backup and format memory card, removed memory card, formatted device memory, factory reset, full wipe of the OS, clean install of 328/348 hybrid) has left me with a Storm that no longer blacks out the screen (not yet at least...) after the typing locks up the device, but it still fails to register the text on the screen for a few seconds, or until I run my finger over the field. Also, the keyboard does the same when switching to 123 mode. It shows a partial keyboard of numbers and letters until I run my finger over it and it then fills in the correct images. In every other aspect(closing/opening programs, receiving phone calls etc..) the phone runs like a dream, I just have trouble when I'm inputting text.

I'm calling VZW for a replacement.
    Last edited by crackberryn00b; 12-20-09 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Updating after findings...
    12-19-09 01:21 PM
    Heads up to all this os did fix the no circuit no channel issue for me i able to make calls anywhere and everywhere with a 9530 unlocked being used on t-mobile !!!!
    I wiped the os with JL CMDR
    installed the .328 os on my pc
    downloaded the .4219 cdma and java file
    replaced it in the .328 os in my computer
    reloaded the os and it works great!!!
    12-20-09 03:23 PM
    It freezes for a second and then it works fine again.
    12-20-09 03:42 PM
    The new one should be here today...I'll post the results once I get it set up!
    12-22-09 10:17 AM
    Has anyone tried installing the latest 9530 leaked OS that was having these lockup problems?
    12-22-09 11:16 AM
    THE LATEST RELEASE FIXED IT!!!!!! NO lock ups for me!
    12-22-09 01:35 PM
    Has anyone tried installing the latest 9530 leaked OS that was having these lockup problems?
    Not sure if I'm up on my leaks, but that was my last ditch effort. I ended up installing a leak that was a hybrid 9500/9530 OS. It was based around 5.0.0.428 and 5.0.0.328 if I recall correctly. My numbers might be mixed-up there.

Got my new phone on Tuesday and loaded everything through Google Sync, App World, and the media card. I'm stoked to have a new phone that works great, with a tighter screen and doesn't have the faintest scratch from a wayward key in the black plastic(not that my other one did :|).

I should have asked for a new case for Christmas...
    Last edited by crackberryn00b; 12-27-09 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Convinced myself to stop being lazy, then looked up the numbers...
    12-27-09 09:49 AM
    Nope, my phone works fine when I'm typing on .328.

12-27-09 10:09 AM

Just so you know, I saw this post earlier and seriously considered taking your advice but noticed that you hadn't tried version 4.7. So that's why I persisted.

I should have listened! What a headache.

Thanks
    12-27-09 10:26 AM
    Nope, my phone works fine when I'm typing on .328.

So did mine. I don't know what caused it, although I had my phone since March 2009. It seems a lot of people have had their Storms replaced for a multitude of reasons. Maybe the ones that are having problems now are an early revision that had the issue?
    12-27-09 10:33 AM
80 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD