So this seems pretty cool so far except when I go to set up the voice to text translation, I have to set up a plan. ? Am I doing something wrong or is the text portion a premium service?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    i think you get 5 free translations a month. if you want all messages transcribed, you have to pay the fee.
    06-04-09 09:26 AM
    i'm getting a 650.00 phone bill due to youmail, i didn't realize forwarding is a separate charge on t mobile.
    06-04-09 09:41 AM
    I loved YouMail until I saw 1 minute calls to Anaheim every hour...unfortunately had to go back to the crappy VZW voicemail.

It wasn't the visual aspect of it that drew me in -- the part I loved most was that callers could leave a message RIGHT AWAY instead of waiting forever for "to leave a callback number, press" and all that other nonsense.

I wish VZW could give us a little more control over our voicemail. Of course, they'll find a way to charge us $4.99/month to do so.
    06-04-09 09:47 AM
    i tried this program by itself without Vymail and i could not get a notifier to tell me i had voicemail. i set it up to email my phone when i had a voicemail left but i would never get the indicator showing i had a message. i would manually sync it and still no voicemail. if i logged into youmail, i could see and listen to my voicemail from the website but it would never forward over to the phone. i contacted youmail tech support several times and they are not sure why it wont work. they said they have a a few of these incidents but usually no problems. so i am using youmail but with Vymail . it sucks i cant just use Youmail. anyone else have this issue?
    06-05-09 09:19 AM
    I've got a low-minute plan (450 minutes) but I've used YouMail since January shortly after I got my Storm, and have grown pretty fond of it.

The early Vymail app wasn't great, and the official YouMail app certainly had some growing pains over the last few months. But over the last 2 months, it's become pretty stable, and not frequently bugging me with updates. (It seemed for a while, every time I checked my messages there was a new REQUIRED update.)

The feature to upload your contacts to the system is pretty interesting. For about 2 months, every person who left a message mentioned something about how "Did your voicemail say my name?" - some of my friends are still a little "freaked out" by it, lol. I think it's hillarious, and a great addition to the already great visual voicemail function.

If I were to complain, it's that the App doesn't download the messages right away, there's usually a delay, and no apparently way to make it happen more frequently. I usually will get an Email notifier first, then a few minutes later I'll get the notification by the Youmail app. (Typically a 5-10 minute delay or so, I haven't timed it.)

I didn't know about the 1 minute charges... but adding it to the F&F would probably fix it. I haven't run into any issues because I don't get an extraordinarily large amount of calls where messages need to be left.
    06-08-09 11:34 PM
    i'm getting a 650.00 phone bill due to youmail, i didn't realize forwarding is a separate charge on t mobile.
    what? i'm using it on tmobile and i don't get charges.. what are they charging for?
    06-09-09 12:40 AM
    So u only get 5 vm to texts a month?

06-13-09 11:49 PM
    this is ok not the best
    06-14-09 01:44 AM
    I have tried to call forward my voicemails to youmail. I dial the *711 number but the verizon lady comes on and says this feature is not available. I know I have call forwarding on my plan so what gives? I dont want to contact verizon just yet and tell them I;m ditching their vvm for a free one, but I will if I have to. Any suggestions?
    06-14-09 03:13 PM
    It's *71 then the number.....
    06-14-09 03:51 PM
    FYI, can't do that - per VZW's website:

Please note: telephone numbers must be entered in standard, ten digit format; only domestic landline or wireless numbers (other than directory assistance, 900 numbers, or customer's own wireless or voice mail access numbers) may be added;
    there talking about your Voicemail number which is your cell number the you mail number is fine I have it on mine....
    06-14-09 03:52 PM
    ahhhhh...... lol, ty
    06-14-09 04:05 PM
    Eh, still not working. guess I'll just call verizon. the extra 1 I was using was just for the area code of the number. Tired it both with/without the extra 1 and still doesnt work.
    06-14-09 04:25 PM
    @jayharper

There is no US area code that begins with the number 1.

To forward, dial the code, plus your area code & seven digit cell number:

*71-XXX-XXX-XXXX
    06-14-09 05:28 PM
    I've dialed *7117142043114.... Exactly what they told me to dial on the website of youmail. I've tried *717142043114 also.... Just called verizon and they said to dial *72 to forward. But that will forward all my call. I don't get it. Guess I'm just to slow to comprehend.

06-14-09 05:44 PM
    I love Youmail and I added the Youmail number to my F&F with NO added minutes or deductions from my minutes. No extra charge at all!

MrsStraty

06-14-09 05:48 PM
    i have had to assist customers with this. you need to call customer support and then call tech support. at which point you need to ask for what they call a "no answer transfer" or something along those lines. sorry i can't remember their name for it. it's a ***** to set up but they will do it. it just forwards after you don't answer your phone and the call would be transfered to voicemail. call forwarding traditionally forwards the call immediately upon receiving it, as in first ring.
    06-14-09 05:50 PM
    i had it for like a day and i hated it so much and was hard to get rid of
    06-14-09 05:53 PM
    I've been using it very successfully for two weeks now.
    I like the fact that you can click on a voice mail and listen to it immediately.
    I like that I can either use their custom greetings, or create my own. (I created my own...)
    I also like that I get a SMS txt when I recieve a voicemail.
    I have not tried the transcription part of it yet, don't need to really... though I can see it coming in handy if say I got a voice mail during a meeting or in a noisy place like a conference or convention, then you can just read the message. but it's not a deal breaker for me.
    I think for free it's great.
    I wish I had looked ahead of time at the preferences and set it up so that when clicking on a voicemail, it plays via the handset and not directly through speaker so everyone else can hear it. At least the option IS there. It's a nice feature to allow one to listen to it via the handset or headphones first.

btw, this is all done on my BB Storm 9530 with Verizon.
    It's a company paid phone bill, but we have unlimited texts and minutes, so the forwarding does not affect me.
    06-14-09 06:23 PM
    Thank u crescent. I will give it a try tonight and let u know.

06-14-09 06:29 PM
    i love youmail. its the best!!!!!!! and FREE!!!!!!
    06-14-09 06:42 PM
    Ok crescent. I got it. Thank you a lot. Its something called a busy no answer forward. They had to set it up for me thru tech support. Working great now and like it so far. Appreciate it.

06-14-09 07:01 PM
    Okay what do yall mean by forwarding taking minutes? With the app on our phones do we have to worry about forwarding or minute usage?
    06-14-09 07:53 PM
    Okay what do yall mean by forwarding taking minutes? With the app on our phones do we have to worry about forwarding or minute usage?
    Anytime you forward a call to a NON-Verizon Wireless phone number (i.e. YouMail), you are charged per minute for the usage. This applies to YouMail because YouMail works by setting your phone to forward calls on no-answer/ignore to the YouMail phone number where your new voicemail account is. Having the app on your phone simply provides an interface to retrieve the voicemails from the YouMail server and therefore does not have any effect on the charges.

This works the same way with TrapCall because it requires you forward your calls to their outside network number.

The amount of minutes used depends on how many voicemails or missed calls you get (longer voicemail messages will use up more minutes). Some people don't use near their monthly minutes and this won't matter. Those people that come close or go over their minutes every month might find that this pushes them over the edge.
    06-14-09 08:00 PM
    Of course, if you have an F&F plan, just set up the YouMail as one of your friends and you'll get unlimited calls to that number. If you got in on the GrandCentral beta and have a Google Voice number, add that to F&F and install GVdialer, and you'll never need to go over again.
    06-15-09 07:50 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD