I've been running YouMail on my phone for just about a week now and I don't think I've ever been so impressed with a cellular application, let alone a free one!

I had been using Verizon's Visual VoiceMail, but in an attempt to cut costs on my bill (in order to increase my plans minutes while keeping the bill around the same cost), I dropped VVM and VsNavigator. I'm personally finding YouMail to be every bit as good as Verizon's VVM - if not significantly better.

Just curious what others' experiences have been. How has YouMail's services been for you? How long have you used it?
    06-01-09 09:31 AM
    I really like it...all my contacts get a kick out of it when they get my voicemail greeting.
    06-01-09 09:43 AM
    Same here. I have been using it for about 2 months and everyone who calls tells me how neat it is. Much better than Verizon's VVM, IMO.
    06-01-09 09:48 AM
    I've been using YouMail (the VyMail application however) for about 6 months and I love it. There's nothing better than not having to call my voice mail every time I need to get a message.
    06-01-09 09:50 AM
    I've been running YouMail on my phone for just about a week now and I don't think I've ever been so impressed with a cellular application, let alone a free one!

I had been using Verizon's Visual VoiceMail, but in an attempt to cut costs on my bill (in order to increase my plans minutes while keeping the bill around the same cost), I dropped VVM and VsNavigator. I'm personally finding YouMail to be every bit as good as Verizon's VVM - if not significantly better.

Just curious what others' experiences have been. How has YouMail's services been for you? How long have you used it?
    I would only caution you to add the youmail voicemail number to your fam and friends list because Verizon charges u a minute to forward the call to youmail. Look at your bill and you will see it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-09 09:50 AM
    I would only caution you to add the youmail voicemail number to your fam and friends list because Verizon charges u a minute to forward the call to youmail. Look at your bill and you will see it.

FYI, can't do that - per VZW's website:

Please note: telephone numbers must be entered in standard, ten digit format; only domestic landline or wireless numbers (other than directory assistance, 900 numbers, or customer's own wireless or voice mail access numbers) may be added;
    06-01-09 09:57 AM
    Okay Bob, thanks for the reminder of the official rules and regulations on what phone numbers to put in our contacts.

But I think the post was referring to uploading contacts to the youmail server...
    06-01-09 10:00 AM

Now this is the kind of feedback that's really important! It's probably stated in their information, but I for one did not know this (more than likely because I didn't pay attention) and if I were budgeting my minutes closely, it could have a significant impact.

Glad to hear everyone is having good results as well! Im simply using their default greeting, but I think it's super cool to have the callers name spoken to them when directed to voice mail. Adds a really nice personal touch.

Im using the blackberry application via my phone as well.
    06-01-09 10:01 AM
    Okay Bob, thanks for the reminder of the official rules and regulations on what phone numbers to put in our contacts.

But I think the post was referring to uploading contacts to the youmail server...
    Nope, I understood what he meant.

If friends and family (unlimited calling to 5-10 numbers - depending on plan) is available on your verizon account, theoretically you could add YouMail's number to this unlimited calling feature which, if you get loads of voice mails, could really save on the number of minutes used on your plan due to the 1 minute charge verizon applies when redirecting from their own voice mail servers to YouMails voice server.
    06-01-09 10:06 AM
    Nope, I understood what he meant.

If friends and family (unlimited calling to 5-10 numbers - depending on plan) is available on your verizon account, theoretically you could add YouMail's number to this unlimited calling feature which, if you get loads of voice mails, could really save on the number of minutes used on your plan due to the 1 minute charge verizon applies when redirecting from their own voice mail servers to YouMails voice server.
    Ahh, okay my bad I understand. Thanks...
    06-01-09 10:13 AM
    I would get this but I heard they have ad's. Do they text message you with spam?
    06-01-09 11:20 AM
    I remember when vymail was the only thing around. Then youmail came out with this application and it was ok but didn't put a red star on it so I was missing voicemails. Now that they have updated to include it, this program rocks!

06-01-09 11:52 AM
    I would get this but I heard they have ad's. Do they text message you with spam?
    There are ad's, but not a one of them done at their leisure - they're textual ads at the bottom of your notifications and voice mail details. Other than that, it's not like they send ad's to your phone whenever they want, so I find them non-intrusive.
    06-01-09 12:31 PM
    I wanted to like it,- but everytime I tested it out, it would say "the youmail user you are trying to reach" blah blah, the greetings never saved for me...
    -It didnt look like it was compatible for the storm yet. You know wha tI mean, the applications with the blue screen and white, and the keypad is just suretype (the ones with 2 letters per button)
    Of you guys know how to fix this that would be awesome
    06-01-09 12:37 PM
    I wanted to like it,- but everytime I tested it out, it would say "the youmail user you are trying to reach" blah blah, the greetings never saved for me...
    -It didnt look like it was compatible for the storm yet. You know wha tI mean, the applications with the blue screen and white, and the keypad is just suretype (the ones with 2 letters per button)
    Of you guys know how to fix this that would be awesome
    Have you tried it again recently? The version I downloaded had some options regarding specific formatting for the storm, so it is indeed catering to us storm users now as well.

I haven't tried any greetings other than the default "Mark can't come to the phone right now, etc" - but based on what you're saying the greeting was, I'm thinking you had used an older version.

Give it one more shot and see if your problems are resolved. Also, when assigning your custom greetings, are you doing it via the phone or youmail's website? I've only played with the greetings on their website via PC.
    06-01-09 01:23 PM
    I used to use it before VVVM came along...can you guys tell me how it behaves battery wise and also, when someone leaves a message, how do we get notified? Is it push notification or do I have to manually request the app to poll the you mail servers?
    06-01-09 02:15 PM
    From what I see, it behaves identically to Verizon's VVM. And depending on what pref's you set, you can be notified multiple ways:

1)Email
    2)SMS
    3)YouMail Icon indicates the usual * on it.

Im not sure which does the push/pulling, but based on the speed in which you're notified, I can only guess that the server pushes the notification out to the device immediately.

Also, like Verizon's VVM, YouMail's main interface consists of your existing messages list, where click-selecting an item brings up the contact info with the play & stop playback buttons.

Battery life does not seem to be adversely effected during the short period of time I've used it.
    06-01-09 02:32 PM
    Do you have to upload ALL of your contacts or can you do them seperatly?

And why does it say the contact doesnt exist when i enter the 10 digit number?
    06-01-09 07:56 PM
    This is without a doubt the coolest mobile app I have ever used. You can create a vm greeeting individually for every contact you have. for example "Hi Dad, leave a message" "Hey Mom, miss you how are you? Leave a message" etc etc

Or you can have the app address the people on your contacts list like "hey Pete brian can't come to the phone...."

This app is sweet.

Anyone have reliability issues at all?
    06-01-09 09:17 PM

I did the exact same thing you did with the VZ apps. I really like the YouMail app too.

06-01-09 09:36 PM
    FYI, can't do that - per VZW's website:

Please note: telephone numbers must be entered in standard, ten digit format; only domestic landline or wireless numbers (other than directory assistance, 900 numbers, or customer's own wireless or voice mail access numbers) may be added;
    You're reading something into this that I just don't see.

It doesn't say you can't add the number of an outside voicemail system; it means you can't add your own VZW cell phone number or the voicemail number assigned to your VZW phone.

I use GV Dialer, and have added my Google Voice number to F&F. In addition to picking up voicemail without using minutes, I can call Google Voice for free and use it to make free outgoing calls.
    06-01-09 09:43 PM
    Does anyone know if it really drains the battery or not while running in the background???
    06-03-09 09:08 PM
    Do you have to upload ALL of your contacts or can you do them seperatly?

And why does it say the contact doesnt exist when i enter the 10 digit number?
    yea what about uploading your contacts.. i dont understand whats its doing
    06-03-09 11:40 PM
    So this seems pretty cool so far except when I go to set up the voice to text translation, I have to set up a plan. ? Am I doing something wrong or is the text portion a premium service?

06-04-09 04:46 AM
    yes...you can add the u mail number to f&f. it is a normal number, just like any other number. vzn does not allow your own cell number to be added (ie vzn voice mail)
    06-04-09 09:25 AM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD