This si a free visual voice mail option that is quite nice and FREE.
    It allows for personal messages so you can actually leave different greetings for different people...also has a hang up feature that will play a quick message then hang up so the person cannot leave a voice mail. There are alot of nice features. Has anyone else given this a try and if so what did you think??

YouMail ) Voicemail You Love
    02-04-09 07:42 PM
    This si a free visual voice mail option that is quite nice and FREE.
    It allows for personal messages so you can actually leave different greetings for different people...also has a hang up feature that will play a quick message then hang up so the person cannot leave a voice mail. There are alot of nice features. Has anyone else given this a try and if so what did you think??

YouMail ) Voicemail You Love
    Do you mean a YouMail app specifically for the Storm, or the YouMail service? I've used the YouMail service for 8 months now. It works with any cell phone.
    02-04-09 07:49 PM
    02-04-09 07:51 PM
    Do you mean a YouMail app specifically for the Storm, or the YouMail service? I've used the YouMail service for 8 months now. It works with any cell phone.
    Not necessarily, I have a friend w/ Alltell and Youmail doesn't support that carrier.
    02-04-09 07:53 PM
    apparently youmail hasn't worked for blackberries will i believe today i just got a e-mail telling me that their now supported.i am not sure of all the details that is why i was asking if anyone else had used it before (blackberry or otherwise)
    02-04-09 07:54 PM
    I will stick with VyMail instead http://joekrill.com/vymail

He came out with an alternative to VVM and I like it better. Works better with Storms UI. Plus his list of features he is working on looks promising and seems to add to what the recently released YouMail VM program does.

Just my opinion and will be sticking with VyMail for now.
    02-04-09 09:00 PM
    I just downloaded the YouMail program, and I've already deleted it. It requires Compatibility Mode, which is crap. VyMail is far superior.
    02-04-09 09:15 PM
    I just downloaded the YouMail program, and I've already deleted it. It requires Compatibility Mode, which is crap. VyMail is far superior.
    +1 Amen brother that is what I did as well and thought exactly.

I cannot wait for the next update of VyMail will be very nice.
    02-04-09 09:22 PM
    I have been using Youmail service for about 4 months now. Much better than standard voicemail. I don't get enough vm to need a visual app for it as the text messages are good enough for me but vymail looks great.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-09 10:37 PM
    I feel like a cheerleader for youmail. I love their service. However, I must admit I was confused as to what they were and how they worked. I went back and read the last few posts and realized that it may be a bit confusing to someone not familiar with this company. How does youmail work? Who is vymail? Here are a few facts:

-- youmail DOES work on Blackberrys. However, not all CARRIERS work with youmail. go to their website and plug in youir info to see if the service is available for your model phone and your carrier.

-- youmail DOES work w/ Storms on Verizon

-- youmail replaces your carrier's voice mail system. When someone leaves you a message you have to call youmail to retrieve your message. You no longer dial into your carrier's voicemail system. This is all transparent to your caller.

--youmail offers the user the service of having the voice mail transcibed and sent via a text or email to your phone as well as being able to dial in and listen to the recording. All of these services are free, however the transcription portion that's free only transcribes the first about 10 seconds of the message and not the entire message. A premium service is available to transcribe the entire message.

-- youmail offers a seperate service of downloading an application on your phone to have an icon on your blackberry that allows you to "see" what messages were left. You see the name of caller, time of call , and length of message. There is a button to play the message and then you can save them right there. There is a limit to how many messages you can save - but it's ridiculously high. This application (the visual voice mail portion) is NOT necesary to have to use youmail.

-- vymail is an application written by a crackberry member named Joe Krill. The brand or name of his app is vymail. vymail is not, in itself, a voice mail system. It just interfaces with vymail and allows you to put an icon on your blackberry you click on and see a list of voice mail messages and then to play, pause, fast forward, rewind, delete, and save the message.

There seems to be a general consensus that youmail is useful and fun but the application to have the "visual" portion of youmail's voice mail service is better handled by Joe Krill's app - vymail. The reason for this is just better user interface, and more ease of use with vymail.

The pros and cons of youmail's visual mail app for blackberrys:
    The reason I WOULD use youmail's visual voice mail blackberry app is that it allows you to download your contact info and then have a picture ID attached to the message. However, The reason I DON'T is that I have over 350 contacts and I did the "download contacts" twice and both times got errors. I choose to manage the contact list on my computer where I can enter the name and download a picture there. Also, I find that my PC's built in microphone records a crisper and more clear outgoing message then using the blackberry to record the message - youmail gives you the option of personalized greetings per contact (yes, you read that right). So, I manage my contact list and record my outgoing messages on my laptop. Another drawback of youmail's visual mail app for Blackberrys is that it only plays the message thru the earpiecre and not the speaker. I hate that. Unless I just couldn't figure out how to set the options. I couldn't even find any place to set the options. It's an application default that makes it (for me) a very bad application.

The pros and cons of vymail:
    Although the message does play thru the speaker the volume is rather low and is sometimes difficult to hear. It's also not an easy process to toggle between speaker / earphone. This sucks if you're trying to retrieve your message somewhere where it's noisy or if you don't want to broadcast your wife leaving a sexy voice mail to the whole world. Some users have stopped using vymail because the volume was too low to hear the messages. I would say try it on your particular model and see if it works for you.

Overall, I would say that youmail is a great voice mail carrier and I highly recommend it. I do not recommend the visual voice mail application youmail provides - for the visual voice mail aspect go with vymail.

I hope this was useful and informative to someone trying to figure out what this whole youmail / vymail discussion is about.
    Last edited by alex1; 02-04-09 at 11:32 PM.
    02-04-09 11:28 PM
    I downloaded for my Storm yesterday and it seemed working fine. I am actually facing one problem. When someone leaves a message, it takes minutes to receive an email telling i have a new message. When i receive the mail telling me that there is a voicemail i click on YouMail icon where i supposed to get call details and playable icon. But there was not. I had to actually initiate the download by clicking on blackberry icon and hit "check messages".
    02-06-09 08:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD