So, Im switching to either ATT or Verizon for improved service.

Thought I had decided on the Storm... now... not so sure.

So, this leaves the conundrum

Storm or Bold?

If anyone has experience with both, please offer any feedback.

If you have anything of SUBSTANCE to add to the convo, please do so.

I have had the 8830 and the Curve, currently rockin' a Nokia e71

I want something STABLE.

Stability and convenience are probably most important to me.

So, I await your responses.

BTW, I have a Storm waiting for me to pick up tomorrow morning if I decide on the Storm... I just cant decide!
    If you're looking for better service go with Verizon, though they do tend to nickel and dime you but what phone company doesn't?
    If you want stability though go with the Bold. With the current firmware on the Storm its more of a hit or miss with people.

Really depends though, if you reply to a lot of emails and txts I'd pick the Bold. If you don't reply as often to emails then the Storm would be a nice choice. You just have to remember the Storm right now is a little slower because of transition animations and somewhat questionable firmware.
    11-23-08 12:00 AM
    Please go back under your rock, just because you dont like the phone doesnt mean you need to go and make a negative post on ever thread that has to do with someone wanting the phone.
    I didnt even do nuffin. While you pickin on me.
    11-23-08 12:03 AM
    I say get the storm, I'm sure most of the problems your are hearing will be fixed by a update. Since you live in NJ if you live close enough to me Ill let you take my storm for a spin.
    Live close enough to Allentown? =P
    11-23-08 12:03 AM
    If you're looking for better service go with Verizon, though they do tend to nickel and dime you but what phone company doesn't?
    If you want stability though go with the Bold. With the current firmware on the Storm its more of a hit or miss with people.

Really depends though, if you reply to a lot of emails and txts I'd pick the Bold. If you don't reply as often to emails then the Storm would be a nice choice. You just have to remember the Storm right now is a little slower because of transition animations and somewhat questionable firmware.
    So maybe the best route to take is to wait? Hold off until a firmware update is released and see if the device performs better?
    11-23-08 12:49 AM
    So maybe the best route to take is to wait? Hold off until a firmware update is released and see if the device performs better?
    Full story on the os: The real story behind the Verizon BlackBerry Storm OS? : Boy Genius Report

I would/am waiting for the new OS build personally. RIM is usually pretty fast with releasing updates in a matter of weeks, and the problem seemed to be last minute. So if you can wait then I'd do it/am doing it. If you can't wait there's nothing wrong with a fast Bold.
    11-23-08 01:02 AM
    This is a conundrum your in. Horrendously bad phone excellent network vs excellent phone not so great network.

I will step out and give you a little different answer. I say go with VZW but get a Curve until the Niagra comes out in May (supposedly)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-08 01:34 AM
    edit

Last edited by cereal killer; 11-23-08 at 01:47 AM.
    11-23-08 01:40 AM
    In order of use/importance

A LOT (like a lot) of texting/IM'ing

sending/receiving emails

Media (I use my current phone as an "ipod" of sorts", always listen to music on it)

Web browsing

Oh and lastly, phone calls.
    I've had both.

1. Service: Verizon wins over At&t. This is why I settled for the Storm.
    2. Texting/IM'ing: Bold wins for me. There's nothing like actual keypads and the Bold has the best so far. Keep in mind though that the Storm has three typing options QWERTY, SureType and Multitap with the last two making my typing experience better.
    3. Email: Tie of course. They're both blackberries so they both win.
    4. Media: Tie. With videos you get the bigger picture with Storm, smaller but more crisp images with Bold (HD as my friend puts it with a gasp).
    5. Web browsing: Storm wins. The Bold renders some pages inaccurately (pictures overlapping and texts broken apart). Scrolling with the trackball is just very taxing too. Cursor Mode on the Storm makes it easier to scroll around a page.
    6. Phone calls: Verizon wins. Bar none. (or full bar if you want to put it that way).

Things I'd like to point out:
    As much as I love the Bold and it's keypads, I personally hate the trackball. One week into it and my trackballs already brown (yes I wash my hands).

If you are opting for a Bold but would prefer Verizon, you can get the best of both worlds. You'll just have to wait until May, 2009 (last I've heard). That's a lot of patience my friend.

Design wise, I think the Bold's the most beautiful blackberry ever. Storm is sleek but the iPhone already has the minimalistic & beautiful design award. Sorry to bring that up BB lovers. It's just an opinion.

So yes, even though I opted for the Storm, I'm still torn between two lovers.

Now its up to what your preferences will dictate.
    Good luck.
    11-23-08 01:42 AM
    i'm deciding between the two now too, and.......I AM GOING CRAZY!!!! lol

i don't know which one to get, i like the bold more but everyone says att sucks, and i'm with verizon now and my contract ends in 2 weeks so idk what i'm gonna do! i love verizon but i love the bold, and i can't wait till may for the new curve! lol

i am just so confused on what to do now haha
    11-23-08 02:49 AM
    After careful thought and reading tons and tons of info over the last couple of weeks and all night tonight (its about 4am here....) I think I have made my decision...

Im going with the Bold

Friends have ATT and 3G coverage is good in this area...

I think it will better suit my needs in the long run.... after the "WOW" factor wears off from the Storm, I just dont know if it will be able to keep up with the "business" needs I have...

I honestly dont feel one device is superior to the other, its based entirely on preference.

But the Storm is verrrrrry sexy and I will remain envious of all you Storm owners and your awesome network!

Again, thanks SO much to everyone who gave their opinions, they REALLY helped in making the decision.
    11-23-08 02:58 AM
    i think i'm leaning towards the bold also, this thread has helped me out a lot though!
    11-23-08 03:27 AM

> Stability and convenience are probably most important to me.

The storm isn't stable. You dont have to try it out for 30 days to find that out. It may become stable tomorrow. It may become stable the next day. No body knows for sure when the stability will be fixed. As of today, it's not stable.

It's also not convenient. The storm currently takes more time to do the same tasks as the Curve. Typing, navigation, sometimes trying to press one button or one link can take extra time. Typing a complicated password can be a royal PITA!!! Can this change with a software update? Maybe. As of today, it's not convenient.
    What do you use it for? again, the use of the device must be taken into consideration and the SureType keyboard on this thing is awesome. no virtual QWERTY is going to be good. not even the all mighty iphone... but this suretype keyboard is freaking awesome...

i don't agree with you on stability. my Storm has been rock solid. But I have not loaded any apps onto it, and have been using it for business purposes only - which may result in a more stable Storm

i also don't agree with the "inconvenience" of the device. if you have ever owned a 7130 device or a pearl you will find the Storm to be very similar - but with the added convenience of a touch screen.

i didn't like the Storm at first. after now 3 days, i can say i was wrong and that RIM has successfully created a touch screen version of the best business phone out there. My battery is still over half charged too and i haven't charged it since the first day. we'll see how it holds up over the week...

Bold = better business device on extremely crappy service

Storm = very good business device with a learning curve and very good service.
    11-23-08 09:55 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD