So, Im switching to either ATT or Verizon for improved service.

Thought I had decided on the Storm... now... not so sure.

So, this leaves the conundrum

Storm or Bold?

If anyone has experience with both, please offer any feedback.

If you have anything of SUBSTANCE to add to the convo, please do so.

I have had the 8830 and the Curve, currently rockin' a Nokia e71

I want something STABLE.

Stability and convenience are probably most important to me.

So, I await your responses.

BTW, I have a Storm waiting for me to pick up tomorrow morning if I decide on the Storm... I just cant decide!
    11-22-08 10:41 PM

Storm or Bold?

I want something STABLE.

BTW, I have a Storm waiting for me to pick up tomorrow morning if I decide on the Storm... I just cant decide!
    as you stated in your first sentence, if its better service you seek, go with Verizon hands down.
    11-22-08 10:44 PM
    There are only 2 reasons you go for the Storm over the Bold.
    1. You prefer Verizon to ATT
    2. You do a lot of web browsing

The only real advantage the Storm has over the Bold is the size of its screen which allows for great web browsing and media experiences. You can type faster on the bold and most interaction with the OS is probably faster.

I have a Storm and like it, but I can't help but think the Bold is a better device.
    11-22-08 10:47 PM
    try the storm and if you don't like it take it back before 30 days are up.i think it's great.don't believe all the crap you read...try it for yourself.
    11-22-08 10:48 PM
    go with the bold man, if your trulely a corporate swine, you need something reliable. The storm is not so reliable these days, it will be getting better, but right now the phone might not be for you. especially if you need reliability and ease of use. Going from a curve to a bold seems like the easiest transition.
    11-22-08 10:50 PM
    if u r a heavy biz user get the bold. storm is a very good work phone and a very good multimedia phone but does neither great. the bold hands down dominates the business side of phones and is a good multimedia and wifi. I love my storm for what i do but if i had to carry 100% for business i would rock the bold. ATT is aight i just came from them they have there issues but what carrier doesnt.
    11-22-08 10:56 PM
    I typically use my device to read information as opposed to create it, so the Storm is a good fit for me. I think this is the primary differentiator for most users. Verizon has a better network on average, so if all you care about is network coverage, Verizon is a better choice. If you type alot, I'm not sure how happy you will be with any touch device. Physical keyboards are nice when making long messages, whereas the large screen on the Storm is great for reading them.

Hope this helps.
    11-22-08 10:57 PM
    I appreciate the feedback thus far, guys. Thanks.

My thoughts go like this:

Device: Bold trumps Storm

Service: Verizon trumps ATT

I like the idea of visual voicemail.....on a device thats stable and speedy enough to use it.

I also like a physical keyboard.

Keep the opinions coming!
    11-22-08 10:58 PM
    I say get the storm, I'm sure most of the problems your are hearing will be fixed by a update. Since you live in NJ if you live close enough to me Ill let you take my storm for a spin.
    11-22-08 10:59 PM
    Since you live in NJ if you live close enough to me Ill let you take my storm for a spin.
    I may actually take you up on that! Saves me from having to return it if I dont like it!

haha
    11-22-08 11:00 PM
    Like most have said. I dont have the storm yet but i have played with it at the verizon store for a good chuck of time. If you can do with out the keyboard get the storm, the screen is nice and the files applications will look better on the storm over the bold. If a physical keyboard is what you need then the bold is the best bet. I like the verizon network better than the AT&T network. I just switched about two months ago and im getting a storm for a new line. It was either the curve or the storm and i can deal with out having a full size qwerty keyboard. The internet is faster on verizon their 3g compared to at&ts'. But like many have said it will come down to whether or not you can deal with not having an actual physical keyboard or not. I should be getting my Storm next week its being shipped on monday from what verizon is telling me so again my advice is on what ive done with a display model. OH yeah the display on the Storm is just awesome.
    11-22-08 11:04 PM
    I may actually take you up on that! Saves me from having to return it if I dont like it!

haha

lolz..ok just PM or pin me when you decide.
    11-22-08 11:05 PM
    I appreciate the feedback thus far, guys. Thanks.

My thoughts go like this:

Device: Bold trumps Storm

Service: Verizon trumps ATT

I like the idea of visual voicemail.....on a device thats stable and speedy enough to use it.

I also like a physical keyboard.

Keep the opinions coming!
    personally, i can not afford to be on att because of my businesses. the poor service is haunting. i left Verizon for an iPhone and was sorry i left the minute i did it. as much as i wanted an iPhone, it was not worth the att service in my area. 7 months later and $350 in early termination charges from ATT, and i'm back on Verizon.

The cool thing about buying your Storm at Costco is that you have 30 days to try it out and if you don't like it you can trade for a Curve (which is an excellent phone to my understanding.)

the SureType keyboard is awesome on the Storm. I can type faster than i ever did on my iPhone - after only 2 days.

what are your needs & priorities? business? no matter how awesome the Bold is, and it is AWESOME, it's not on Verizon and that is the nail in the coffin until it comes to Verizon.

look in Consumer Reports to see how att ranks in your area. it's the bottom of the barrel where i'm at, right next to Sprint. no phone is worth being on another network in my area and line of work
    Last edited by the1sen; 11-22-08 at 11:11 PM.
    11-22-08 11:09 PM

what are your needs & priorities? business?
    In order of use/importance

A LOT (like a lot) of texting/IM'ing

sending/receiving emails

Media (I use my current phone as an "ipod" of sorts", always listen to music on it)

Web browsing

Oh and lastly, phone calls.
    11-22-08 11:14 PM

sending/receiving emails

Media (I use my current phone as an "ipod" of sorts", always listen to music on it)

Web browsing

based on that, i would say the Storm would fill your needs well. have you used a BB before with a SureType keyboard? if so, it's awesome - better than the Pearl and better than the 7130 i had before. it works very well but takes some getting used to if you're unfamiliar...

good luck.
    11-22-08 11:17 PM
    try the storm and if you don't like it take it back before 30 days are up.i think it's great.don't believe all the crap you read...try it for yourself.
    Yeah, don't believe all of the published negative reviews and posted negative user reviews, believe catside instead!!!
    11-22-08 11:18 PM
    I can type a lot faster on the Storm in both SureType and QWERTY than I could on my Q. I don't know how much that says about the Storm because the Q is horrible.

This is my first Blackberry and my 2nd smartphone (Q being the first). I am enjoying it a lot so far and I cannot wait for the software updates that should improve the laggyness and various bugs (accelerator!) immensely.

The browser on the Storm is a delight.

Additionally, I am really warming up to the SureType input. I almost prefer it to QWERTY!
    Last edited by pauldovi; 11-22-08 at 11:30 PM.
    11-22-08 11:26 PM
    Yeah, don't believe all of the published negative reviews and posted negative user reviews, believe catside instead!!!
    Did you/ do you have one?

Do you agree with all the negative feedback based on your own experience with the device?

Im interested in any feedback users have negative or positive....

I will admit, its kind of hard to avoid all the "this thing sucks!" threads..
    11-22-08 11:28 PM

sending/receiving emails

Web browsing

I saw you mention a comment about the idea of Visual Voicemail. Regardless of your decision you can check out youmail.com and get free Visual Voicemail.

Back to the topic being discussed. I would pick one and try it out for an extended period of time whether it's multiple trips in store or actually picking one up and getting a contract.

I personally own the Storm. No point in mentioning bugs or anything, known fact, but updates coming out. So regardless of that lets look at the hardware/functionality, the real difference between the phones.

I just switched from a Curve, but honestly haven't noticed a significant difference between speeds with texting (when the device isn't a little laggy). In regards to multimedia, the Storm is fantastic for showing photos, watching videos, and playing music. I found the speaker good quality when playing music. Personally, I will be using this device to replace my iPod. I wouldn't trade my Storm in, even with the slight hiccups with the OS. Also, the Storm just feels great in your hand, nice and solid.

On to the Bold, I have played around with one in store and found it snappy, excellent screen, etc. I think it has two things over the Storm, WiFi (even though I think it is only necessary for some users) and the physical keyboard. It does multimedia well, just not as well as the Storm. I don't have much else to add since I haven't been able to spend ample time with the Bold.

I think you have a tough decision. Personally, the success I have had with Verizon and I just think the Storm is a great device I would go with that. But if the hardware of the Bold seems slightly more appealing, go with that. Software will be improved on each device, don't use that as a judgment for whether or not you will get it, I think that would be the biggest mistake.
    11-22-08 11:31 PM
    Software will be improved on each device, don't use that as a judgment for whether or not you will get it, I think that would be the biggest mistake.
    Very, VERY valid point.

Thank you for taking the time to offer your opinion, I really appreciate it!
    11-22-08 11:37 PM

Storm or Bold?

I want something STABLE.

Being in the IT field I will say this

When it comes to blackberry's MOST the end users that I talk to about them prefer having a real keyboard over a touch screen. A touch screen is a love or hate relationship you either like it or you don't.

I prefer verizon over AT&T. I like touch screen devices a ton so yes I am loving the storm. I haven't personally had to many issues with my storm and it works well for me.

However picking a BOLD is not a bad option I have had much on hand experience with it and that device is a work horse. I believe that media on the storm is better web browsing etc. The big screen is really nice. But I do think that most people will agree with me in saying that the bold is a ULTRA fast device when it comes to doing things. For the most part what I have seen is that the bold is very stable in its current form. The storm will more then likely be more stable after some time. When the Bold was released there was major software issues.

I don't want to lead you one way or another because its in your personal preference.

I prefer Storm over bold for my personal use. I also prefer verizon though. In a realistic sense I would tell you to go get your hands on a bold and go get your hands on a storm.
    11-22-08 11:39 PM
    Lots of awesome info in here. Thanks, guys!

Im leaning towards picking up the Storm tomorrow as planned and givin it a test run for a week or so. Hopefully that will be enough time to form a valid, informed decision.

But keep the opinions coming! I am appreciating all the different points of view.
    11-22-08 11:48 PM
    agreed.

i think that we can also agree that the ATT thing is not optimal for you based on what i'm reading.

i have owned 4 smart phones. 3 with touch screens, 1 winmo device (i didn't know better) and then my BB 7130 on Verizon. Best phone i ever had... then left and grabbed an iPhone on ATT... texting and email became laborious compared to my Blackberry. 7 months later and i am back on Verizon, and after 2 days i'm typing fast on the suretype keyboard... the landscape touch keyboard is nice for passwords and such, but ANY touch keyboard at that size will be a bit difficult - i can assure you. iphone included.

overall, i like the Storm a lot. it was a challenge at first, but i have remembered how my 7130 worked and this is pretty similar. BB OS is easy to learn.

my ONLY dislike so far is the vibrator... it's a lot weaker than the 7130 was. it's about the same as the iPhone one, and that one sucked.

in the end you are the only one who can decide. having the latest and greatest is not always the way to go - i just got lucky because i had some experience with the SureType keyboard and the iPhone touchscreen to get me through the navigation process. I was very frustrated at first. not the case any longer.

make no mistake - if the Bold was on Verizon, i would have picked it up over the Storm. It isn't coming anytime soon... get a Storm or a Curve on Verizon and enjoy the better service.
    Last edited by the1sen; 11-22-08 at 11:53 PM.
    11-22-08 11:49 PM
    Please go back under your rock, just because you dont like the phone doesnt mean you need to go and make a negative post on ever thread that has to do with someone wanting the phone. Anyone thinking im flaming this guy look at his post.

Now as to the phone, it is a good phone. It is fast, smooth, and very responsive. Service is stellar, even at 2-3 bars that i get inside. Suretype is amazing and adaptive. It has a few flaws, **** my screen would not rotate in less than 15 seconds. All were fixed for me by reinstalling the OS. Check the Blackberry 101 lectures and learn about blackberries and see if it fits for you.
    11-22-08 11:53 PM
    Did you/ do you have one?

Do you agree with all the negative feedback based on your own experience with the device?

Im interested in any feedback users have negative or positive....

I have the Storm. Before the storm, I used a Blackberry Curve.

> Stability and convenience are probably most important to me.

The storm isn't stable. You dont have to try it out for 30 days to find that out. It may become stable tomorrow. It may become stable the next day. No body knows for sure when the stability will be fixed. As of today, it's not stable.

It's also not convenient. The storm currently takes more time to do the same tasks as the Curve. Typing, navigation, sometimes trying to press one button or one link can take extra time. Typing a complicated password can be a royal PITA!!! Can this change with a software update? Maybe. As of today, it's not convenient.

In exchange for stability and convenience, you get a great screen that is good for multimedia and web browsing. You also get unlocked GPS. You also get some free productivity apps that you would otherwise have to pay for. For many people here, these pluses overcome the minuses.

What do I think about the storm? I hate typing on it. I miss the keyboard short cuts. I miss the ease of one hand operation. What I get in return for losing these conveniences don't overcome what I lost. Thus, I've been telling ppl to pass on the storm if stability and productivity are important to them.

Most ppl here will tell you that vzw is better than att. The best ppl to ask are ppl that you know that use these services in the places you would use them. For all I know, you could be in the boon docks somewhere where vzw coverage is no good. I suspect it would be good in Joisey though.
    11-22-08 11:53 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD