Yahoo! Mobile. Your Starting Point to the Internet.

yahoo is going to soon release their mobile suite for Blackberries. the link above has more info and in the animation on their site they show a BB storm, with a maps application icon... i am going to guess that they wont fudge it up like google and make sure it works with out GPS! i am excited if that is true
    02-18-09 03:17 AM
    Since this app appears to integrate Opera Mini, hopefully this points to Opera updating the browser for support on the Storm down the road. This app looks slick; too bad we have to wait until the end of May for the beta to even start.
    02-18-09 04:58 AM
    Nice. Looks very slick. I don't use Yahoo services very much but hopefully this new offering will spur some better products from other companies (Google). It's interesting to see they used the Storm shell to advertise their mobile product. It seems to be an indication that this phone is at least a hit in the market.
    02-18-09 08:53 AM
    I think Yahoo is a little late. Google is well established in the mobile world. The new Google Latitude is fantastic. Besides, Yahoo Map is inferior as compared to Google Map, even on the desktop. Google is extending their lead on the mapping technology as the days go by. Yahoo and Micro$oft will never catch up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-09 09:02 AM
    I think Yahoo is a little late. Google is well established in the mobile world. The new Google Latitude is fantastic. Besides, Yahoo Map is inferior as compared to Google Map, even on the desktop. Google is extending their lead on the mapping technology as the days go by. Yahoo and Micro$oft will never catch up.

I would have to say I agree with you on this, but from a business stand point they kind of have to get in this space. They need to do everything to compete to survive.
    02-18-09 09:21 AM

Taken from a conversation in the late 90's.

Oh c'mon, Nobody can get bigger than Alta Vista...wait, the new guy Yahoo's stock is surging and everybody knows it is going to crush Alta Vista and the rest!

What is this Google thing? It looks good, I think it is on top now.

If yahoo wants in it is just a matter of spending the money and building code, just think of the shot in the arm it would give to all things Yahoo. Ya see, Yang is out so now things may start shaking for Yahoo again.(He was the anti Steve Jobs)
    02-18-09 09:31 AM

I'd agree with you if when I turned on google maps it pinned me within .5 miles of my actual location

Maybe on other devices, maybe on other blackberries.....but gmaps falls FAR short on the storm.
    02-18-09 10:35 AM
    I'd agree with you if when I turned on google maps it pinned me within .5 miles of my actual location
    Hopefully yahoo gets GPS working so that google/verizon has to modify gmaps to be able to compete.
    02-18-09 10:39 AM
    Hopefully yahoo gets GPS working so that google/verizon has to modify gmaps to be able to compete.
    thats not the case anymore

side note ... it looks like they are designing the "smart phone" version of the mobile apps to look like the iphone version lol
    02-18-09 11:06 AM
    thats not the case anymore

side note ... it looks like they are designing the "smart phone" version of the mobile apps to look like the iphone version lol
    I wonder if the announcement of yahoo maps encouraged google to get the gps working finally?

Who cares, google maps now works with the gps and I am STOKED!!!
    02-18-09 11:52 AM
    Here's the link to the smartphones version, which includes BlackBerrys:

Yahoo! Mobile for smartphones
    02-18-09 02:42 PM
    I had try Yahoo Go a while back on my HTC devices, and it was horrible. They better do a lot of work, because GPS now works on GMaps, and I love Poynt.
    02-18-09 03:30 PM
    yahoo still exists?

really?
    02-18-09 03:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD