Sounds like you are completely satisfied with the Storm 2. Just like EnergyPlus (oops, he pretends he does not like to be in the same camp with you). Enjoy.

My S2 makes a fine ereader--something I use it for when ever I find a good book to download. AAMOF, my wife is at this very moment, reading a book on her S2.

I had a mobile hotspot for about 10 months, but got rid of it because I rarely used it, as the phone serves my portable needs well enough under most circumstances.

the number of apps that I want to use that aren't available for the Storm are few and far between, but I must admit having netflix would be awesome. (i have it on my touch and it's only useful when I'm within wifi range). Also, turn by turn navigation would be awesome, rather than paying for VZNav (or, Verizon could make it free--that would suit me!)
    09-05-10 05:54 PM
    Sounds like you are completely satisfied with the Storm 2. Just like EnergyPlus (oops, he pretends he does not like to be in the same camp with you). Enjoy.
    Never "completely", but for now it's the phone I'll keep until I find something I like better. I'm not married to it, or any other cell phone.
    09-05-10 07:02 PM
    Well..... had a chance to run with Droid2 now for an extended period -- daughter wanted a new phone, nothing from BB looked "cool" to her, so she grabbed the Droid2. After having the phone for use for several hours I've got to say I'm not really that excited about it. I found the UI not to be so friendly, but maybe that's just me coming from Storm2, still it just didn't feel "comfortable". I was trying to scroll through apps and would somehow manage to launch an app. I would scroll through contacts and somehow manage to select a contact. Ended up calling people when I didn't want to. The simple touch screen has nothing on the touch/click of Storm/Storm2

But the real kicker was she downloaded an update (new phone and there's already an update?!?) which causes the phone to reboot. Not a biggie until she starts getting text messages and calls from her friends saying she just dumped a load of old text messages to them. One of her friends ended up with 70 old text messages being received. I thought it strange until I did a Google search and find this is pretty common problem -- when phone reboots people are finding old text messages being resent - Egads!

Reading through the various messages in the search I've seen people blame it possibly on a couple of apps, but thing is my daughter's phone is STOCK, not one 3rd party app on it and it has this issue. It's not just a D2 issue, DX and D1 all have some problems reported.

Also found that when I plugged in the phone to charge the phone was really wacky for the touch screen. It seems that you have to use the OEM plug on Droids otherwise you may encounter this type of problem (another common problem it seems that Google helped me to solve).

People can say how great the Droid is, but after running the device for the better part of an afternoon I just wasn't that impressed and found it quite a frustrating experience. Made me appreciate how well my Storm 2 operates
    09-05-10 08:40 PM
    Good cautionary tale. Often times, when someone comes in here to sing the praises of the droid as if it's the second coming of Christ, I caution readers to peruse the droid forums to find out what sorts of problems that platform presents, as NO platform is 100% a bed of roses--there are still some thorns in them.
    09-05-10 10:18 PM
    No one talks about the issues all one hears about is the browser and the processor as if the phone had two parts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-10 10:42 PM
    Storm 2 gone.
    Almost a week with my Droid X. Not coming back. So long.
    09-06-10 12:21 AM
    No one talks about the issues all one hears about is the browser and the processor as if the phone had two parts.

Let's not generalise here. People do talk about issues with the phone, just not the ones who find enjoyment in dissing other phones. And that is a sad, sad thing.

Other than that, your post cracked me up.
    09-06-10 12:49 AM
    Oh. Another one of these threads...I'm gone...
    09-06-10 01:25 AM
    Another example of Droid not being the "end all" to all phones. Daughter was going back to school last night. Thought we'd try out the navigation (which is nice feature). Worked fine all day when we played with it. But when she actually needed it it would hang and timeout when getting directions. Finally got it to work after about 10 minutes. Not sure what fixed it but think it was disabling the wifi. Whatever it was the device just blew a brain cart for quite some time. I also noticed the pics from camera really didn't look any better than what my Storm2 took. Daughter thought the D2 looked weak and washed out.

I did like some features on D2, and the physical keyboard was nice, except with cover on device the top row is not as easy to use. But still have to say nothing so far with my afternoon with D2 had me saying it was meant to be my next phone, and in some cases it confirmed that maybe it shouldn't be. Maybe Droid line has just been overhyped and I was expecting too much to be delivered after all the glowing messages about how 'good' it is

09-06-10 07:11 AM
    Droid isn't for everyone (Although activating over 200,000/day would suggest otherwise.).
    09-06-10 07:40 AM
    Let's not generalise here. People do talk about issues with the phone, just not the ones who find enjoyment in dissing other phones. And that is a sad, sad thing.

Other than that, your post cracked me up.
    "My DROID is great, 1.4 ghz rooted processor and fast browser with flash". Mea culpa, I was wrong...three parts.
    09-06-10 09:08 AM
    Droid isn't for everyone (Although activating over 200,000/day would suggest otherwise.).
    Activating 200,000/day does not mean 200,000/day sold at VZW. How many came from ebay?
    09-06-10 09:10 AM
    Activating 200,000/day does not mean 200,000/day sold at VZW. How many came from ebay?
    I fail to see how that matters.
    09-06-10 09:29 AM
    I have not used the Motorola Android phones but after using 2 HTC and 1 Samsung Android phones, the experience with the Google Maps Navigation is the same. The first time you use the App, it takes time to lock-in the location, I waited up to 10 minutes on the Samsung phone. But after that, it is a pure joy to use. Do you realize that with Google Nav you can activate the street level view and see really images of the street as you are driving? That feature alone is better than anything else out there (all for free).

Thinking about this by the way, the first time use of any GPS device is the same. It has nothing to do with Android.

Another example of Droid not being the "end all" to all phones. Daughter was going back to school last night. Thought we'd try out the navigation (which is nice feature). Worked fine all day when we played with it. But when she actually needed it it would hang and timeout when getting directions. Finally got it to work after about 10 minutes. Not sure what fixed it but think it was disabling the wifi. Whatever it was the device just blew a brain cart for quite some time. I also noticed the pics from camera really didn't look any better than what my Storm2 took. Daughter thought the D2 looked weak and washed out.

I did like some features on D2, and the physical keyboard was nice, except with cover on device the top row is not as easy to use. But still have to say nothing so far with my afternoon with D2 had me saying it was meant to be my next phone, and in some cases it confirmed that maybe it shouldn't be. Maybe Droid line has just been overhyped and I was expecting too much to be delivered after all the glowing messages about how 'good' it is

09-06-10 10:11 AM
    I fail to see how that matters.
    and I fail to see why high sales figures means an item is right for ME. The fastest selling items aren't always the "best" for any particular person. understand??
    09-06-10 12:02 PM
    I have not used the Motorola Android phones but after using 2 HTC and 1 Samsung Android phones, the experience with the Google Maps Navigation is the same. The first time you use the App, it takes time to lock-in the location, I waited up to 10 minutes on the Samsung phone. But after that, it is a pure joy to use. Do you realize that with Google Nav you can activate the street level view and see really images of the street as you are driving? That feature alone is better than anything else out there (all for free).

Thinking about this by the way, the first time use of any GPS device is the same. It has nothing to do with Android.
    Just a couple of things. First, it wasn't an issue determining location, I could see it had our street on the map. It just couldn't determine the directions (don't know why, won't even try to guess why.

Also, you must have missed when I said "Worked fine all day when we played with it. But when she actually needed it it would hang and timeout when getting directions. Finally got it to work after about 10 minutes." Bolded the sentence that said it was all working fine during the day.

Lastly, I can't buy the fact that an Adroid device, or any GPS navigation device would take 10 minutes to determine location (nothing decent anyways). I have my Storm2 with Garmin once I boot up the phone Garmin is ready to rock. I have stand alone Garmin's, they take a minute or so to locate satellites for location, no where near 10 minutes. I have a Tom Tom too, it is a couple of minutes at best.

Not sure what the issue was with the D2, but something went flaky on it. My comments aren't meant to bad rap the D2 (or any device) or say my Storm is better than the D2. But from what I read I guess I was expecting more as from my afternoon with the D2 just made me feel like I wasn't missing anything by continuing to use my Storm2.

For now, Storm2 suits _my_ needs, I'm sticking with it. I'm looking forward to seeing what VZW has to offer for 2011. With a lot of devices scheduled with EOL for 1st quarter of 2011, something tells me they are getting ready to release a batch of phones with 4G - and who knows what will be available then.
    09-06-10 01:50 PM
    Sorry, I misread what you meant by'worked fine all day'. Mileage always varies for different people using a device. (Some people have changed their Storm 2 up to 8 times (beats me) and claim they reboot it or battery-pull daily.) I currently have VZ navigator on Storm 2 and I have also used TeleNav&Garmin each took a couple of minutes to get the GPS coordinates. I am not sure if it was up to 10 minutes neither does it matter because subsequent uses were much better with an instant lock. Same experience with subsequent use of Google Map Navigation on Android phones.

That said, I could care less if you like your Storm 2 or dislike Droid 2. I have no personal investment in neither. Google Map Navigation is FREE and with Street View it is much better than anything else you have on Storm 2 which by the way, you have to pay for. That is a FACT sans sentiments.

Just a couple of things. First, it wasn't an issue determining location, I could see it had our street on the map. It just couldn't determine the directions (don't know why, won't even try to guess why.

Also, you must have missed when I said "Worked fine all day when we played with it. But when she actually needed it it would hang and timeout when getting directions. Finally got it to work after about 10 minutes." Bolded the sentence that said it was all working fine during the day.

Lastly, I can't buy the fact that an Adroid device, or any GPS navigation device would take 10 minutes to determine location (nothing decent anyways). I have my Storm2 with Garmin once I boot up the phone Garmin is ready to rock. I have stand alone Garmin's, they take a minute or so to locate satellites for location, no where near 10 minutes. I have a Tom Tom too, it is a couple of minutes at best.

Not sure what the issue was with the D2, but something went flaky on it. My comments aren't meant to bad rap the D2 (or any device) or say my Storm is better than the D2. But from what I read I guess I was expecting more as from my afternoon with the D2 just made me feel like I wasn't missing anything by continuing to use my Storm2.

For now, Storm2 suits _my_ needs, I'm sticking with it. I'm looking forward to seeing what VZW has to offer for 2011. With a lot of devices scheduled with EOL for 1st quarter of 2011, something tells me they are getting ready to release a batch of phones with 4G - and who knows what will be available then.
    Last edited by brown_storm; 09-06-10 at 04:03 PM.
    09-06-10 02:17 PM
    Sorry, I misread what you meant by'worked fine all day'. Mileage always varies for different people using a device. (Some people have changed their Storm 2 up to 8 times (beats me) and claim they reboot it or battery-pull daily.) I currently have VZ navigator on Storm 2 and I have also used TeleNav&Garmin each took a couple of minutes to get the GPS coordinates. I am not sure if it was up to 10 minutes neither does it matter because subsequent uses were much better with an instant lock. Same experience with subsequent use of Google Map Navigation on Android phones.

That said, I could care less if you like your Storm 2 or dislike Droid 2. I have no personal investment in neither. Google Map Navigation is FREE and with Street View it is much better than anything else you have on Storm 2 which by the way, you have to pay for. That is a FACT sans sentiments.
    With street view? While driving? You must be a new driver, unless you are the passenger/navigator. Using VZ Navigator I can connect up my bluetooth headset and listen to the turn by turn without looking at the screen, thereby allowing me to keep my eyes on the road, not the phone. My phone stays in my front shirt pocket, or in one of the cup holders.

Free is obviously better than 9.99, but safe is also better than unsafe.
    09-06-10 05:41 PM
    Sure. You can also do that with Google navigation if you want. You do not have to use the Street View, it optional. Remember it is only available in areas that Google has previously snooped...oops I mean snapped images of the locale.
    Otherwise, you surely do the same thing you described with VZ navigator while listening to Pandora or Podcast or your music.

With street view? While driving? You must be a new driver, unless you are the passenger/navigator. Using VZ Navigator I can connect up my bluetooth headset and listen to the turn by turn without looking at the screen, thereby allowing me to keep my eyes on the road, not the phone. My phone stays in my front shirt pocket, or in one of the cup holders.

Free is obviously better than 9.99, but safe is also better than unsafe.
    09-06-10 06:12 PM
    Sure. You can also do that with Google navigation if you want. You do not have to use the Street View, it optional. Remember it is only available in areas that Google has previously snooped...oops I mean snapped images of the locale.
    Otherwise, you surely do the same thing you described with VZ navigator while listening to Pandora or Podcast or your music.
    Just out of curiosity why would you want to listen to music through a BT headset specifically made for voice quality?
    09-06-10 06:56 PM
    I don't. I am merely pointing out that you can do that if you want.

Just out of curiosity why would you want to listen to music through a BT headset specifically made for voice quality?
    09-06-10 07:00 PM
    I'd make that trade without hesitation.
    So would I.........since I have (2) S2's.
    09-06-10 07:25 PM
    I hear ya bro.... I don't care if someone likes S2 or D2 or any other phone. But topic of this thread is "Would you trade your S2 for a Moto Droid", so I was just answering it based on some actual hands on time with D2. For me, I found nothing compelling to say I need the D2.

I do think the Android platform has benefits over the BB OS, just seems like the Android continues to make improvements while RIM is basically sitting idle (should we look at OS6 as a prime example). Nice to include the navigation in the Android OS as well as the text to speech.

I'm looking at what the future may bring with 4G phones from VZW, and the new Samsung sounds interesting too. Maybe RIM will blow us out of the water with Storm3 (I'm not counting on that, but may as well think positive). But for now, I'm happy with S2, I don't think I'm missing out on anything when compared to the Droid (to answer the question posed by this topic). As I found out the Droids are not perfect device and in a short period of time caused me (and my daughter) quite a bit of frustration - so was just wanting to point that out as part of my reasoning.
    09-06-10 09:02 PM
    i am bidding on droids right now on ebay ..im going to buy one try it and if i like it i will get either a modropro or something android coming up ..My upgrade is middle of sept.
    09-06-10 09:09 PM
    Weirdly, I just put my Droid up to trade for a blackberry. Fantastic phone if you use apps/browsing, but considering that 90% of my use is messaging and email, and that I really, really like the blackberry OS, I want to switch over.

Still, if I browsed more, I'd definitely stick with/trade for a droid.
    09-06-10 09:41 PM
127 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD