So, I bought my storm on 19 Jan.
    I have never updated the OS.
    I run a VZW BB 9530.
    And I go to high school (graduating in June!) so I don't use my phone for half the day.
    Should I bother upgrading using a beta since the official is projected to be out soon and we get a new release just about every other week?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 11:25 AM
    I started typing a response where I absolutely ripped you....but I'm gonna just be nice.

Yes...emphatically.
    02-24-09 11:28 AM
    yeah i really am going to hold myself back here and say yes. from 75 to 109 there are big differences. even to 99 would be better.
    02-24-09 11:31 AM
    I'm also on .75 and haven't upgraded to a beta OS though have been monitoring the activities very closely.

I would love to have the increased speeds, but for me, my BB is mission critical re: calls, scheduling and I can't afford to have it intermittently crash on me. So for me, I have to play it safe.

But, if you're willing to be an early adopter and the glitches/crashes that goes with it and able to competently upload/wipe/reload the Storm with a Windows computer, then upgrading is definitely recommended if only for the fun and oooh factor with being on the bleeding edge.

It's been fun watching the Storm's OS evolve; I wish I was in on the action other than vicariously enjoying via the forum posts.
    02-24-09 11:32 AM
    I started typing a response where I absolutely ripped you....but I'm gonna just be nice.

Yes...emphatically.
    Lol as did I .....Im happy I wasnt the only one
    02-24-09 11:34 AM
    i havent had any nasty crashes since .90

.99 got sluggish and required a battery pull every 8-9 days

only had .103 for about 8 hours before .109 came out.
    02-24-09 11:34 AM
    Hmm, why would folks want to rip into the OP?

When I read the OP, I actually thought, cool, a 17/18 yr old who's intelligently thinking about going the beta OS upgrade route, concise info and question, and has the forethought to ask advice from folks before blindly pulling a trigger.

"The illiterate of the 21st century are not those who cannot read or write, but rather those who cannot learn, unlearn, relearn." ~Alvin Toffler

Anyhoo OP, good luck on your decision. Lots of great IQ points in this forum for you to parse out what you need.
    02-24-09 11:45 AM
    Go for it! If you don't like it you can always go back to .75, although I doubt you would want to. 109 seems to be just as stable and much faster. Be sure to backup before you install!
    02-24-09 12:33 PM
    I'm also on .75 and haven't upgraded to a beta OS though have been monitoring the activities very closely.

I would love to have the increased speeds, but for me, my BB is mission critical re: calls, scheduling and I can't afford to have it intermittently crash on me. So for me, I have to play it safe.

But, if you're willing to be an early adopter and the glitches/crashes that goes with it and able to competently upload/wipe/reload the Storm with a Windows computer, then upgrading is definitely recommended if only for the fun and oooh factor with being on the bleeding edge.

It's been fun watching the Storm's OS evolve; I wish I was in on the action other than vicariously enjoying via the forum posts.

mine is as well work in an IT department for a medical company and i have tried all of the software releases. worse thing is you revert back. 109 has been really good so far. take the leap. its worth it later on. you also cant compair everyones phones simply because all the phones react different to the upgrades.
    02-24-09 01:00 PM
    I say go for it, I have been running .75 since December, I updated to .109 last night and have been very pleased.
    02-24-09 01:01 PM
    Yes, it absolutely is. Update right away.
    02-24-09 01:14 PM
    I agree. If you don't like it you could always go back.
    02-24-09 01:20 PM
    Do it!!! I have been upgrading with every leak and it has been getting better and better. Been running .109 now for at least 16 hours and so far so good. You won't be disappointed.
    02-24-09 01:25 PM
    Do it! Well worth it.
    02-24-09 01:52 PM
    I decided to try a beta release last night and went from .75 to .109. Painless and the first thing I was struck by was how fast it was. I dont get the hourglass as much, and the entire GUI is snappier.

I've had some compatibility issues with WeatherBug that went away after a while. Additionally, there is the loss in color depth that's been a commonality in all recent betas. I'm going to try .109 out to see if the color depth is a dealbreaker for me - if so, I'll just downgrade as I was perfectly fine with .75.
    02-24-09 02:01 PM
    It is true .109 is a lot different, but they have not finished working out all the kinks. For one my battery drained in a half a day on .109 Like others have said though try it out. If if works good, if not you can always go back.
    02-24-09 05:34 PM
    Hmm, why would folks want to rip into the OP?
    Because the vast majority of the members of this forum are immature and blind to the idea that blackberries, especially the Storm, are being used by the younger community more than ever. Blackberry nation is immense and it touches on everyones needs, not just John Smith of yada yada Enterprises.

The device is not just for the business man in a suit and tie anymore.

Anyway, good luck OP.

In my opinion, give it a go.
    02-24-09 05:46 PM
    Because the vast majority of the members of this forum are immature and blind to the idea that blackberries, especially the Storm, are being used by the younger community more than ever. Blackberry nation is immense and it touches on everyones needs, not just John Smith of yada yada Enterprises.

The device is not just for the business man in a suit and tie anymore.

Anyway, good luck OP.

In my opinion, give it a go.
    Well said, despite your taste in baseball.

I would tell the OP to try it, to me it's not battery use but app memory that's the biggest problem. However the memory issue is existing in .75 as well. After you install search around for an app called quickpull, then you won't have to physically pull the battery.
    02-24-09 05:56 PM
    Going from .75 to .109 is a massive improvement, do it, you won't be sorry!
    02-24-09 07:25 PM
    Happy for what you on whatever you decide. More happy with you because of your age and having a BlackBerry. Atta BOY!!
    02-24-09 08:20 PM
    Thanks to all the people who didn't attack me!
    I'm not ignorant at all, I know a lot about my BB and have been up to date on every beta released since I bought my phone.
    I just wanted to know what people thought about .109 overall, especially those who were/are in the same situation as I am in.
    I had to try a great deal before I was allowed to purchase a BB, so I wanted to take no chances in messing it up especially since it's not like I need any of the benefits of a switch immediately.
    Would I love it increased capabilities? Yes. But do I need to have them this second for my job/etc.? No.
    02-24-09 09:54 PM
    I was relucatant to upgrade from .75 to .109, but after .75 started acting buggy, I started to get pissed off. Initially I was only going to back up, wipe and restore .75, but after installing .109, I have had no issues as of yet, and it seems to run much smoother. The availible application memory now sits around 45 megs in .109, as opposed to 32 megs in .75.

Even if my device were to crash, I would still reinstall .109.
    02-25-09 02:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD