Okay I'll fess up I've been tempted by the fruit of another. The Droid Incredible looks sexy and has all sorts of great features and apps. I've been carefully comparing all of the features the Droid has vs the BB. And to be honest the Droid has been beating the BB badly.

At the moment I was convinced the Droid was a better solution, IT HIT ME. I've been comparing all of the secondary features and NOT the MOST important features. Features that I don't even consider since they work so well BlackBerry.

1) Complete sync with enterprise productivity severs(Outlook/Lotus Notes/ Exchange). That is email, calendars, contacts, notes, and tasks. To date BB sync is the most elegant solution with complete customization. HTC has a half baked solution but not a complete solution.

2) No desktop software to backup of device content. Such as bookmarks, sms, contacts, applications, configuration, etc.

I don't know about most smartphone users but as a professional I consider my smartphone an essential tool st work, it has supplanted my PDA and I no longer use it as just a phone. I use my phone as a tool to actually plan out my day and task priorities for work and home.

I store valuable data on my device and access this data on my desktop.

These features are so essential to me that I did not even consider that the Droid might not support these capabilities.

Just yesterday I was ready to pull the trigger and join the DROID camp, now that is not the case. This is a deal breaker for me and I will not even look at a droid until google officially supports this kind of sync.

Anyhow chalk one big tally for BlackBerry!

=X=

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-07-10 04:32 PM
    As a BB and Android owner........I love them both... but for different reasons.

For playing around, games, web browsing, I enjoy it most on Android. But for emails, text, efficiency, reliability, form factor, I just love my 9700.
    05-07-10 05:09 PM

For playing around, games, web browsing, I enjoy it most on Android. But for emails, text, efficiency, reliability, form factor, I just love my 9700.
    this guy gets it

you can easily backup your apps via wireless actually. look into app brain
    05-07-10 05:14 PM
    I am in the same boat, a friend has the Incredible and the speed just floored me. I was getting ready to make the jump but a even more basic need is missing. Hands-free voice dialing via bluetooth. Yea you can voice dial but it will all be via the phones speaker. I can't believe a phone with that much juice forgot to setup bluetooth completely. Also not sure but I don't think you can just hit a phone # in the web browser and have the phone dial automatically. I read a lot about deficiencies in copy and paste throughout the Android OS. I wasn't too happy about the differences in Blackberry when I switched from WinMo but have come to live with it thanks to the work arounds in this forum. I know the email won't work as well for my own address, I presently get my emails faster on my phone than my computer. I think with the Incredible I would need to have all my emails sent to a g-mail account to have them delivered comparably. I may be wrong on this stuff I only spent a few hours researching it. Bottom line I won't even consider it again until I hear they have the bluetooth voice dialing issue worked out.

That being said I will be checking it out more comprehensively the next time I see my friends phone armed with the information I have now.
    05-07-10 05:26 PM
    No argument with thoes key notes ... If your main email is Gmail then the droid does Mail, Calendar, Contacts ... apps ... etc ... But for exchange, nothing beats my work 9700.
    05-07-10 07:09 PM
    So after poking around a little more I might have found a possible solution. There is an app called gSync that syncs your Outlook eMail, Contacts, Calendar, Notes, Task

The link is gSyncit - Google Calendar Sync for Microsoft Outlook Calendars and Contacts - G1 t mobile Android iPhone ActiveSync Palm Pre Apple CompanionLink SyncMyCal

The price is not too bad ($15), I'd prefer free especially since it is provided free with phones like BB and WinMo. But I'd be willing to pay $15 for this product.

The one bad thing is it is a cloud sync and syncs the data up to google. Personally I'd rather not store my info on a google account and just have the device sync with my desktop account.

=X=
    05-11-10 08:03 PM

I've always wondered this but where do u find space to keep two phones? My pockets aren't big enough...

05-11-10 08:28 PM
    I love the BB platform. I have gmail and it works flawlessly. I can't leave BB for another platform. I only use mine for personal use but it is my lifeline. I am glad to have BB and when my laptop was down for almost two months due to constantly being sent to HP they finally gave me a new one which they should had done but anyways, BB saved me during the time I wasn't able to have use of my internet.
    It proved to me just how valuable it really is.
    05-11-10 08:45 PM
    So after poking around a little more I might have found a possible solution. There is an app called gSync that syncs your Outlook eMail, Contacts, Calendar, Notes, Task

The link is gSyncit - Google Calendar Sync for Microsoft Outlook Calendars and Contacts - G1 t mobile Android iPhone ActiveSync Palm Pre Apple CompanionLink SyncMyCal
    I use the free app GoogleSync to sync my Outlook calendar to my Google Calendar. That way my wife can look at my Google Calendar and see when I have meetings, etc. I'm not sure what else you can sync to be honest - I set it up on my PC well over a year ago and haven't given it a thought since.

With as many emails as I get around the clock at work, I have zero interest in getting it on my phone. (it is my personal BB, not work provided)
    05-11-10 09:09 PM
    Actually you can click a number and call directly while surfing the internet. And BTW, besides BT dialing there is NOTHING else that your blackberry does better. I just changed from a Storm to an Incredible, and this thing murders BB!
    Last edited by masterpiecefinishes; 05-12-10 at 09:35 AM.
    05-12-10 09:32 AM
    email/messaging is better on a BB, sorry but its true
    05-12-10 09:43 AM
    Email sure, I'll give you that (even though I use gmail, so that doesn't apply to me), but messaging? How? Please don't say bbm because that is ridiculously overated!
    05-12-10 10:20 AM
    bbm/sms/mms/im apps all perform better on the bb imo.

gtalk is the only im app that you can run without killing the battery and so far the stock sms/mms app kinda sucks, you have to use a 3rd party app for that to be somewhat resonable
    05-12-10 10:29 AM
    Okay I'll fess up I've been tempted by the fruit of another. The Droid Incredible looks sexy and has all sorts of great features and apps. I've been carefully comparing all of the features the Droid has vs the BB. And to be honest the Droid has been beating the BB badly.

At the moment I was convinced the Droid was a better solution, IT HIT ME. I've been comparing all of the secondary features and NOT the MOST important features. Features that I don't even consider since they work so well BlackBerry.

1) Complete sync with enterprise productivity severs(Outlook/Lotus Notes/ Exchange). That is email, calendars, contacts, notes, and tasks. To date BB sync is the most elegant solution with complete customization. HTC has a half baked solution but not a complete solution.

2) No desktop software to backup of device content. Such as bookmarks, sms, contacts, applications, configuration, etc.

I don't know about most smartphone users but as a professional I consider my smartphone an essential tool st work, it has supplanted my PDA and I no longer use it as just a phone. I use my phone as a tool to actually plan out my day and task priorities for work and home.

I store valuable data on my device and access this data on my desktop.

These features are so essential to me that I did not even consider that the Droid might not support these capabilities.

Just yesterday I was ready to pull the trigger and join the DROID camp, now that is not the case. This is a deal breaker for me and I will not even look at a droid until google officially supports this kind of sync.

Anyhow chalk one big tally for BlackBerry!

=X=

I always think you should research a phone before buying it. So i mean its not a shock you went back, but you should have known what the google platform was missing before jumping on board
    05-12-10 10:53 AM
    I actually prefer the SMS behavior on the Incredible and RIM does email (a little) better but they look better on my HTC. RIM truncated a lot of my messages over the years. It all comes down to personal preference though. Having Swype doesn't hurt though lol.
    05-12-10 11:44 AM
    For email I agree, for messaging I think it comes down to preference--I see no difference here.

The other day my ISPs' IMAP server went down. My wife's Droid could not receive email for 3 days. My BB worked just fine, what's even funnier is our Desktop IMAP clients could not access the IMAP server either. My BB never stopped receiving email.

The email system rocks on BB because they have a middle server that can convert attachments and optimize HTML email for your device.

There is a downside to the BB however, with the Droid one can pinch and zoom in/out on the email. I often receive charts and graphs as JPG on email and I cannot view them because the images are resizing for my BB. Also I am at the mercy of the BB Server to feed the full email on my device. Sometimes I get all the emails no problem other times I do not get the full email.

I always think you should research a phone before buying it. So i mean its not a shock you went back, but you should have known what the google platform was missing before jumping on board
    Right on CB I agree with you. I never made the switch, on the last paragraph of my OP I mentioned how I was ready to switch but decided not to once I realized there was no way to Sync the Android to my Outlook. (There is a cloud solution, but I'm not to comfortable with that solution).

=X=
    05-12-10 11:49 AM
    bbm/sms/mms/im apps all perform better on the bb imo.

gtalk is the only im app that you can run without killing the battery and so far the stock sms/mms app kinda sucks, you have to use a 3rd party app for that to be somewhat resonable
    I disagree. I did not have the corporate email option on my blackberry Storm1 so I had to use the 15 minute wait for an update to email push plan. It sucked.

The Incredible I use IMAP to egt to my corporate outlook exchange server (since they will not let me use the exchange features without allowing them to reset my device at will) and I get it as fast as my windows box and it is synced as far as what is already been read.

For calander and contacts I use googlesync once in a while by plugging the USB cord into the laptop and it charges and does an auto sync at the same time.

For me the Incredible has way better email and sms cababilities then the BB Storm. And it is way faster.

The thing I really like about the email is it downloads all the pictures intact and it is readable! The pictures are not all broken up and you do not have to say get the pictures ewach time!

Plus the pinch and zoom allows you to quickly enlarge the type to a readable size and it automatically word wraps and hits the screen so you do not have to keep sliding the screen back and forth to read the text.

The Incredible is way better than my old Storm. Oh and it is like 6 seconds to display a full ebay screen after the login with nothing cached. On the Storm it took 2 plus minutes and it was not readable. I am talking about non-mobile mode.

The Incredible is so fast it is great. I can watch TV movies on it and not have it reset on me like the Storm did. Things just connect and are way more usable on the Incredible than on the storm. Flash lite is not that bad on it either.

I can not tell you how many times I would try to do something on the Storm and it would take forever and was not worth wasting the time to do it. It was faster to go get on a computer downstairs.

With the Incredible I use the computer a lot less often. Things work well on it. Just watch you battery power.
    Last edited by bbstorm4me; 05-13-10 at 10:29 PM.
    05-13-10 10:23 PM
    I think you need to research a device before saying it doesn't do something. I have had my Incredible since 4-28 and I have Exchange at work, the storm sucked because I could only get part of my e-mails part of the time (when I wasn't in reboot mode). My Inc works seamlessly with my exchange (mail, contacts, calendar) messaging is better, in fact nothing will be missed from my storm. Any questions?
    05-13-10 11:52 PM
    One thing I love about my Storm is the ability to use the phone in any country. When I travel to Central/South America, while not free, I love having the ability to still have access to web and email while on a GSM network.

I'd love to see a "world" Droid-based phone.
    05-14-10 12:45 PM
    I thought Latin American countries used CDMA? I know for sure Mexico does.

05-14-10 04:17 PM
    I think you need to research a device before saying it doesn't do something. I have had my Incredible since 4-28 and I have Exchange at work, the storm sucked because I could only get part of my e-mails part of the time (when I wasn't in reboot mode). My Inc works seamlessly with my exchange (mail, contacts, calendar) messaging is better, in fact nothing will be missed from my storm. Any questions?

How good is the HTC "compact keyboard" compared to Storms SureType? Can it predict text like the storm. Or is it the same implementation as the HTC Droid 1.6.

05-14-10 04:36 PM
    How good is the HTC "compact keyboard" compared to Storms SureType? Can it predict text like the storm. Or is it the same implementation as the HTC Droid 1.6.

You know, I never really messed with the compact keyboard option when I got my Incredible. I installed Swype on it as soon as I got it and haven't looked back. I just switched to the compact keyboard and, after using it for a few minutes, I am really impressed with it. The Incredible does a very good job imitating the behavior of SureType on the Storm. To answer your question, it does have predictive text. It actually seems to do a better job of getting me the right word but seems to be about a letter slower at offering initial suggestions. I didn't expect much out of the compact keyboard since SureType is RIM's thing but I think that the compact keyboard is a good replacement for any Storm user that is thinking about going to the Incredible. I don't know how the 1.6 keyboard worked but this one suits my needs. Well, it would if I hadn't gotten used to Swype. If you have any more questions I can try to answer them.
    05-14-10 04:54 PM
    the compact keyboard sucks compared to the suretype keyboard on the storm IMO. I tried it for a full day and went back the normal keyboard.
    05-14-10 05:34 PM
    I thought Latin American countries used CDMA? I know for sure Mexico does.

Honduras is GSM, Parts of Guatemala and Argentina are GSM only. What you will find is that most countries have both technologies but depending on where you are, you may not find a CDMA signal. So it's nice to be able to roam on GSM if need be.
    05-15-10 02:00 AM
    One feature I like about the Incredible.....Long press the Magnifying glass on the right corner, it pulls up the microphone and you say " Navigate to Taco Bell" or To Sears or to whatever/whereevery you want to go. Then it shows "navigate to Taco Bell" on the screen as it just did voice recognition speach to text perfectly. You press GO and it pulls up the Google Maps Navigation and plots a course to it from where you are usig the GPS. That simple. Speak hit GO and you are there. If there are multiple choice you can click the one you want and it goes and plots the course and gives you turn by turn directions.

Try that with a STORM or any BB device and see what you get.

You can also use the Microphone Voice to text for almost any seach or text input to google or any text input field. And it is very accurate.

Another app Google translate. It will take English spoken aor typed text and conver to spanish text and speak it for you and do the reverse to. Pretty cool.
    05-15-10 09:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD