I noticed the crazy LED after installing .86 - it blinked incoherently blue and red even though there were no new messages. I did some testing and, at least for me, the bluetooth notification LED is the root of the problem. I turned off the notification under bluetooth options and THEN REBOOTED (won't fix the problem without the reboot). I then left the bluetooth LED notification OFF. This was yesterday - no crazy LED since then. The LED blinks red like it is supposed to when I get a new message, and then stops blinking red once the message is checked. (I also have the LED off while charging and OFF for within network).

So, yes, it sucks to no longer have the blue LED notifying that my bluetooth is connected, but you can see that it is by looking for the little double arrow next to the bluetooth symbol on the homescreen (Next to 1XEV in portrait, below 1XEV in landscape). BUT, at least this way the RED notifier LED works properly, and that is more important than having a screwy LED that tells you nothing. Hopefully this will get fixed with the next release.

How many people with this problem had the LED notification set to on for bluetooth? Better yet, has anyone had the crazy LED problem WITHOUT having the bluetooth LED notification set to on?
    01-13-09 11:43 AM
    Strange, I haven't received this problem yet. How is it even possible that some have gotten this issue and I haven't?

Should be the same device and we should be running the same software.
    01-13-09 11:52 AM
    Strange, I haven't received this problem yet. How is it even possible that some have gotten this issue and I haven't?

Should be the same device and we should be running the same software.
    Do you have bluetooth activated? Do you have the Blue LED bluetooth notification activated?
    I performed a complete wipe preior to instal (from .85) - did you perform a wipe or instal over a previous version?
    01-13-09 12:01 PM
    I have the same problem. Even with bluetooth off, it was flashing like crazy. Ended up going back to .85

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 12:12 PM
    I have the same problem. Even with bluetooth off, it was flashing like crazy. Ended up going back to .85

Hmm, strange. Did you do a soft reset or battery pull after turning off the bluetooth? Also, just to be sure, I am talking about turning off the bluetooth LED notification, not just turning off the bluetooth device...
    01-13-09 12:24 PM
    I have bluetooth off and my light keeps flashing green/yellow. Really annoying.
    01-13-09 12:34 PM
    Actually, I think the root of the problem lies with receiving a message when a bluetooth connection is active. I had this happen to me last night when I was on a call, got a message, then disconnected and turned off the headset. Even after reading the message and with the headset off, I was getting the flashing blue/red. I did a battery pull and that cleared it - since then messages have been working fine, and I also took a few calls on the headset and that was fine... But I haven't yet gotten a message with the headset connected to see if I can replicate the problem according to my theory.
    01-13-09 12:42 PM
    Actually, I think the root of the problem lies with receiving a message when a bluetooth connection is active. I had this happen to me last night when I was on a call, got a message, then disconnected and turned off the headset. Even after reading the message and with the headset off, I was getting the flashing blue/red. I did a battery pull and that cleared it - since then messages have been working fine, and I also took a few calls on the headset and that was fine... But I haven't yet gotten a message with the headset connected to see if I can replicate the problem according to my theory.
    I know that mine went all crazy even without actually being on a call. Originally, all I needed was bluetooth to be connected (on standyby) and the blue LED flashing. Then, once I got a message, it went haywire. Ever since turning off the blue LED and the reboot, the red flash has acted the way it is supposed to in response to messages...
    01-13-09 12:56 PM
    I had this problem when I upgraded over .85. Last night I did a jl_cmd wipe and then install on fresh clean device to .86.

Did a restore and have not had any issues since. I use BT and it stays on constantly. No crazy LEDs since the fresh install. Also I am now testing out without the BT LED notification to see if I can spark it.

Also I installed my 3rd party apps one at a time.

VVM & VZNav during install
    Gtalk
    Flickr
    Gmail
    Slacker

So far so good.
    01-13-09 12:57 PM
    This is also my theory...
    01-13-09 01:07 PM
    I noticed the crazy LED after installing .86 - it blinked incoherently blue and red even though there were no new messages. I did some testing and, at least for me, the bluetooth notification LED is the root of the problem. I turned off the notification under bluetooth options and THEN REBOOTED (won't fix the problem without the reboot). I then left the bluetooth LED notification OFF. This was yesterday - no crazy LED since then. The LED blinks red like it is supposed to when I get a new message, and then stops blinking red once the message is checked. (I also have the LED off while charging and OFF for within network).

So, yes, it sucks to no longer have the blue LED notifying that my bluetooth is connected, but you can see that it is by looking for the little double arrow next to the bluetooth symbol on the homescreen (Next to 1XEV in portrait, below 1XEV in landscape). BUT, at least this way the RED notifier LED works properly, and that is more important than having a screwy LED that tells you nothing. Hopefully this will get fixed with the next release.

How many people with this problem had the LED notification set to on for bluetooth? Better yet, has anyone had the crazy LED problem WITHOUT having the bluetooth LED notification set to on?
    I noticed the same thing today. Thanks for the fix!!!
    01-13-09 01:09 PM

I did the same thing you did and this does fix half the problem at least
    01-13-09 01:14 PM
    i think you may be on to something. this is the same scenario that caused the crazy led in my case. i'm going to albertdc's suggestion and see if that resolves it. having the bt light on is not a big deal for me.

*edit*

turning off the bluetooth led and then rebooting seems to have resolved the issue for me. thanks albertdc!
    Last edited by BzB; 01-13-09 at 01:54 PM.
    01-13-09 01:30 PM
    i think you may be on to something. this is the same scenario that caused the crazy led in my case. i'm going to albertdc's suggestion and see if that resolves it. having the bt light on is not a big deal for me.

*edit*

turning off the bluetooth led and then rebooting seems to have resolved the issue for me. thanks Albertdc!
    I think you are on to something also. No LED issues when bluetooth is not connected. Once bluetooth is connected and a message received, I then have the red LED blinking regardless of whether a message is opened or not. Hopefully this will be resolved in the next update.

Did Albertdc's solution and it has resolved the LED issues, no bluetooth alert but functional red unopened message alert is worth the trade off for me. As mentioned it does show on the home screen if you are connected to bluetooth or not.

Now I am not going to revert back to .85 since I do appreciate the update for all the other listed reasons.

THANKS Albertdc!
    01-13-09 02:05 PM
    I haven't had this issue myself, but a tiny piece of black electrical tape would probably do the trick.

01-13-09 02:09 PM
    I haven't had this issue myself, but a tiny piece of black electrical tape would probably do the trick.

Ha, LOL. Problem with that is then you won't see the red notification like you are supposed to when you get a new message!
    01-13-09 02:16 PM
    I have the same problem, I have to do a battery pull everytime i finish charging the phone because of the green/yellow light flashing.

I think i will go back to the .85, the issues on the .86 are not big but they are annoying...
    01-13-09 02:22 PM

I had the blinking green / red problem until I did two battery pulls. First battery pull gave me the media care inserted SOD. On the 2nd pull, I took the SD card out and inserted it once fully on. The phone is now working beautifully.

01-13-09 02:24 PM
    Hmm, strange. Did you do a soft reset or battery pull after turning off the bluetooth? Also, just to be sure, I am talking about turning off the bluetooth LED notification, not just turning off the bluetooth device...
    I turned off every LED notification then battery pull but no luck.
    01-13-09 02:29 PM
    do you have the coverage indicator set to on? are you charging the phone while powered off?

the only time i ever see the charging (yellow) light is if the device is off and then i plug it in to charge. but since i never turn the phone off and i have the coverage indicator set to off, i don't experience the flashing green/yellow issue. try turning off the coverage indicator (which blinks green) then pull the battery with the phone unplugged. wait till it fully boots up to plug it back in and see if that solves the issue.

for me the only led i really care about is the red one that lets me know i have a message. the bluetooth notification i can live without for now.
    01-13-09 03:01 PM

LOL at Electical tape. Would that not make my phone look cheap? LOL
    01-13-09 03:47 PM

This work around worked great for me. Thanks for the tip.

01-13-09 04:06 PM
    In agreement with all (except for the electrical tape fix).

Willing to trade off BT indicator for functional message red light...for now.

Thanks!
    01-13-09 04:34 PM
    Thanks for the tip. I'm going to give it a try. It was already starting to get annoying.
    01-13-09 05:16 PM
    with the power off charging..... i dosconnect...... power still off and the green light keeps flashing even after i turned it on..... quick battery pull on the way to work seemed to fix the problem for me.....

my bluetooth LED seemed to work fine today......
    01-13-09 05:27 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD