Interesting to see someone with your number of posts make a statement like that. Usually it's a newbie who hasn't yet learned to "love" playing with the leaks and hybrids and trying to come up with some workarounds of their own for things.

Personally, I think RIM's CEO shot himself in the foot when he basically said this thing doesn't work like it should and don't expect a smartphone to ever come on the market working like it should. I'm sure some lawyers are already drawing up documents based on that alone.
    I think perhaps you put the cart before the horse and misunderstood my statement above. I could care less how a prerelease looks. But if VZW signs off on a full fledged release with dropped color pallet because RIM thought it was a good compromise in order to gain speed on the interface, then there's going to be major pow wow. So, please, don't put words in my mouth or pretend that I said something I didn't.

BETAs/prereleases/leaks, whatever are one thing. Going fully public with a "cheat" fix release of OS is not good PR in my book. Especially when they know full well they rushed the unit out to being with. I believe this is one of the reasons why VZW/RIM is taking their sweet time trying to come up to a version that's damn near perfect... because they can't deal with bad press about this phone AGAIN.
    02-14-09 05:45 PM
    I think perhaps you put the cart before the horse and misunderstood my statement above. I could care less how a prerelease looks. But if VZW signs off on a full fledged release with dropped color pallet because RIM thought it was a good compromise in order to gain speed on the interface, then there's going to be major pow wow. So, please, don't put words in my mouth or pretend that I said something I didn't.

BETAs/prereleases/leaks, whatever are one thing. Going fully public with a "cheat" fix release of OS is not good Page Ranking in my book. Especially when they know full well they rushed the unit out to being with. I believe this is one of the reasons why VZW/RIM is taking their sweet time trying to come up to a version that's damn near perfect... because they can't deal with bad press about this phone AGAIN.
    More people should recognize this distinction. Whenever a leak makes the scene, invariably, posts such as
    I can't believe RIM still hasn't fixed issue X.
    follow.

These are not offiicial OS updates, as the escalating numbers suggest. These are LEAKS.

Leaks are pretty much the OS in various states of undress. Many of them are stepping stones that were never intended for a wide release. For all we know, something was interfering with something else, so they dropped the color palette to temporarily resolve the adverse interaction so they could error test the "something else" properly, fully intending to fix things down the line, all prior to the next official release.

To reiterate what Civic said, the reduced color palette smacks of a workaround. Who cares if its in the leak, but if this workaround actually makes its way into the next official release, there will and should be many unhappy campers.

In other words, if you're unhappy with the performance of a leak as many people on CB seem to be, you have no cause for it, as it wasn't meant for your eyes in the first place, but if you're unhappy with the performance of the official OS update, then you have every right to be. We're all so unused to getting official updates (spoiled with leaks) we lose sight of this
    Last edited by mikestorm; 02-14-09 at 07:46 PM.
    02-14-09 07:44 PM
    im guessing with .111 out that will be the possible version .106 just seems to old. still shocked this thread hasnt been moved yet the mods must be sleeping this week.8-)
    02-14-09 07:57 PM
    I almost feel like there should be a thread for Storm owners that's more along the lines of "I'd like to just post random threads about whatever I'm thinking about at this very moment. I wonder about the homeless kids in Africa and whether they'll ever get a Storm."

Sigh.
    ...thank you for the very useful post. Shows that people still haven't learned if they have nothing relevant to post (in terms of the Topic on hand) then just go back to the lobby and post in a thread that interests you.

Oh, and i do wonder about the homeless kids in Africa sometimes...wonder if they would know not to post in threads that didn't interest them. Maybe they at least know to "Stay on Topic".

My recommendation for you would be to report this thread if you feel it has been improperly placed. When you Reply to threads that "you" feel are spam, all your doing is helping it along and keeping "spam alive". That is if you feel this thread is "spam".
    Last edited by REC7IFY; 02-14-09 at 08:06 PM.
    02-14-09 08:03 PM
    ...thank you for the very useful post. Shows that people still haven't learned if they have nothing relevant to post (in terms of the Topic on hand) then just go back to the lobby and post in a thread that interests you.

Oh, and i do wonder about the homeless kids in Africa sometimes...wonder if they would know not to post in threads that didn't interest them. Maybe they at least know to "Stay on Topic".
    there is a section for these threads its the storm owners lounge
    02-14-09 08:05 PM
    there is a section for these threads its the storm owners lounge
    That is for general chat/conversation. This thread actually pertains to specific Leaked (and soon to be) OS's. If you feel it is not in the right place, report it...but please stay on topic or hit the back key on your browser and pick another thread/topic to post in.
    02-14-09 08:08 PM
    I'm just wondering how you came up with .106? Or is that just a number that could mean any number?

I mean they went .90, then .99, now .103. Unless your a math whiz and know the formula, which you very well may be for all I know.
    02-14-09 08:10 PM
    .103 CODs were from both the 9500 and the 9530 version. .106 is also being looked at. I am following the 9500 .106 thread and testing the other builds for what works best on my device. I should have a thread that is about the hybrids (what is best in each version, what is worst, etc) but right now im content to watch for the most part.
    02-14-09 08:12 PM
    I'm just wondering how you came up with .106? Or is that just a number that could mean any number?

I mean they went .90, then .99, now .103. Unless your a math whiz and know the formula, which you very well may be for all I know.
    There have been reports of both .106 and .111 floating around & in circulation for the 9530 (not general public).

As for math, enough to get me by honestly.
    02-14-09 08:14 PM
    Actually, if RIM doesn't fix the color resolution issue, I believe enough people will be ticked to the point of class action. I don't suggest they take that route.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    JRSCCivic98, I am with you on virtually anything I read from your posts. I just want to say that every O.S. I've put on my Storm since the last official O.S. (.75) is not even intended for the public. Other than those of us on CB, who really even knows this potential issue even exists? I'll also be honest, I've had every beta that has come out since the Storm was introduced on November 21, and I guess my old eyes don't even notice this color resolution issue that people talk about.

I hope the point I'm trying to say makes sense, and certainly nothing against you whatsoever.
    02-14-09 09:09 PM
    JRSCCivic98, I am with you on virtually anything I read from your posts. I just want to say that every O.S. I've put on my Storm since the last official O.S. (.75) is not even intended for the public. Other than those of us on CB, who really even knows this potential issue even exists? I'll also be honest, I've had every beta that has come out since the Storm was introduced on November 21, and I guess my old eyes don't even notice this color resolution issue that people talk about.

I hope the point I'm trying to say makes sense, and certainly nothing against you whatsoever.
    I agree that I don't notice the color issue, but I am not doing a lot with pics, etc.

More on mark though, I think the leaks are intended to be leaks inorder to have a much larger testing base. We don't see every OS that is tested, but we have seen enough to provide valuable information to RIM regarding the variety of issues that arise. What better way to have thousands of phones, utilizing different applications and different combinations of applications test the Not Released OS. I suspedt that Sith's work with the Hybreds is also providing valuable infomation to the process.

It will take a lot to convince me otherwise, especially with number of releases we have seen.

I also agree that I don't think we will see an Official release until it is near perfect, or at least until they think it is near perfect.
    02-14-09 09:38 PM
    I do not know anything about photography. I do however know how my birds look and I think that I took some great pictures even with the difficulty of camera use with .75. Honestly I'm impressed. If they can make it better more power to them.
    02-14-09 10:05 PM
    OMG you gotta be kidding. Your upset because you see a box for a second?

Arn't there more serious things to worry about? And what do you mean "there is no transition at all between landscape and portrait, it just moves." That is the transition.

Hope you don't lose sleep over that "sec" at night.

I mean I prefer blackberry to the iphone and it is sad when the storm has a more powerful cpu yet its UI looks like a standard regular touchscreen and functions pretty much like one as well when the iphone was released and still now IT LOOKS AND WORKS LIKE A MINI COMPUTER, Every transition and movement is like I am using a Mac home computer on a smaller screen. The storm has so much promise but RIM seems to have just tossed together a slightly modified version of the os and ui of all there other phones, They did not think outside the box in any ways for this phone at all and it is sad. And also, like i said, with all the problems plagueing this phone I think it would have been a good idea to not release the storm for about 6to8 months after the actual launch back in november. Maybe they could have made a more quality item. Do you see how many people are flocking to the theme section because of how crappy and unoriginal the entire UI on the storm is? and NO it is NOT a transtiion when it switches from landscape to portrait, it is like watching a window on XP get closed it just closes, whereas on vista when you close a window it fades out. As much as I am against mac, Look at every movement and function on the iphone, it is all very fluid. NOTHING ON THIS PHONE IS FLUID.
    Last edited by dankblaze; 02-15-09 at 12:28 PM.
    02-15-09 10:16 AM
    NOTHING ON THIS PHONE IS FLUID.
    I'll take fast over fluid any day.. right now we don't have either. :sigh:
    02-15-09 11:33 AM
    I'll take fast over fluid any day.. right now we don't have either. :sigh:
    exactly, the problem is that the phone should have been fast to begin with, why release a phone that lags everytime you switch pages or apps?
    02-15-09 12:25 PM
    It seems to me that they won't leak .106 for the 9530 since they appear to be tailoring each update for each phone - either the 9500 or the 9530.

You see the pattern in .75 for the 9530 and .78 for the 9500... .99 for the 9530 and .100 for the 9500... .103 for the 9530 and .106 for the 9500...

I bet we will see .107 to .109 for the 9530 next and .110 for the 9500... Probably in the next week.
    02-15-09 01:39 PM
    you do realize that they are developing the builds concurrently? there has been .75 for each device, .76 for each, all the way up to .106 for each.
    02-15-09 01:40 PM
    I sense there's something higher then the .111 that is the latest known build...

Don't see .106 being next leak though... but we'll see right? :-)
    02-15-09 01:55 PM
    builds are coming out every couple of days at RIM, so yes, it is a very safe bet that .111 is not the newest
    02-15-09 01:58 PM
    Well hopefully they get all the codes right and eventually bring down the right OS, but me coding before (JavaScript, Basic, XML, etc.) I do know one thing, one small mistake such as a "/" will ruin a whole process. I see at least a .118 out already as they are building...

But that's my mind.
    02-15-09 02:03 PM
    The biggest thing for me is to stop the random reboots and freezes/lockups.
    Last edited by briankeith513; 02-16-09 at 07:29 AM.
    02-15-09 05:06 PM
    Yes, really.

Go back to curve land please if you don't want to hold an educated conversation. TIA!
    maybe ill go back to curve land. and bold, storm, 8900 and e71 land land cuz i got those too.
    02-15-09 05:18 PM
    maybe ill go back to curve land. and bold, storm, 8900 and e71 land land cuz i got those too.
    Wow, a true Blackberry fan. Thats 3 too many phones for me. 8830 WE and 9530 for myself.

Apologize for the comment earlier. It just seems allot of people want to play forum cop, and ruin simple yet thought provoking threads.
    02-15-09 08:48 PM
    The biggest thing for me is to stop the randome reboots and freezes/lockups.
    QFT!

All leaked builds that have made it to the publics hands have seemingly had this issue, which is another unacceptable concept. They should by now have stability over the 4.7 builds. With all the random reboots and app errors (even apps that are native to the OS like the camera app) its becoming a bit ridiculous.

Is it me, or does it always seem they fix one issue to watch two more issues arise (issues that were non-apparent in previous leaked OS's)???

Whatever they decide to go with in terms of the next official OS, it better not sacrifice overall display quality. If it does end up like that, you can bet that what CIVIC said will probably happen (class action) along with a TON of returns to Verizon if not RIM (after the 30 days).
    Last edited by REC7IFY; 02-15-09 at 09:03 PM.
    02-15-09 08:56 PM
    I hope all the disrespecting the seniors in the fake .106 room doesn't delay the release......

All i want is smooth and fast transitions. I held my Storm up against an Iphone today at walmat and it's sad. The Storm is capable of allot more...Were running a lawnmower engine in a Ferrari.....

I hope a leak is on it's way..
    02-15-09 11:14 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD