Because this is not something RIM can just enable. Adobe Inc. has to develop a mobile ver of flash first. They are working on one for the iPhone, android, symbian, and WM now. RIM I am sure is working on an agreement to get the ball rolling for them as well.
    Hmm, Adobe seems to think otherwise. 800 million other people don't agree with you

Adobe - Flash Lite
    02-28-09 07:37 PM
    WTF. Crucial just told me a few days ago that they weren't working on another OS for the Storm.

His exact words on my thread was

"No, I never said anything about a 4.8 OS other than it's BS! Just look at the problems with 4.7. They surely aren't about to introduce a brand new OS to a device that doesn't function as it should. When this was mentioned before I said it wasn't happening."

LOL forgive me that I got the OS number wrong with 4.8 but I guess there's a 5.0 coming out?
    Eventually there will more than likely be 5.0 for the Storm. When you asked me the question you said a rep told you that there was 4.8 for the Storm coming in March. Dang man, they cannot get 4.7 right yet, you don't have to worry about RIM introducing a new OS anytime soon for the Storm. And surely not in March. Much less this year. DOn't worry you're not the only one who has mentioned this 4.8 stuff, but it's not happening.
    02-28-09 08:10 PM
    Hmm, Adobe seems to think otherwise. 800 million other people don't agree with you

Adobe - Flash Lite
    Flash lite will likely never reach the BlackBerry platform. With the devices having the processing power they do its nearly certain full flash will come to the devices. Eventually.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-09 08:21 PM
    Eventually there will more than likely be 5.0 for the Storm. When you asked me the question you said a rep told you that there was 4.8 for the Storm coming in March. Dang man, they cannot get 4.7 right yet, you don't have to worry about RIM introducing a new OS anytime soon for the Storm. And surely not in March. Much less this year. DOn't worry you're not the only one who has mentioned this 4.8 stuff, but it's not happening.
    Yeah, I really didn't think it was likely anytime soon and I talked to someone who was told by a rep that it was coming in March.

But my concern was whether it would EVER come out for the Storm. You just answered my question by saying it will more than likely come out for it eventually. Originally I thought you were pretty sure it would never come out it for it but probably just be for another generation of the Storm.

Can you give me any examples of any previous Blackberry models that went through a whole OS change?
    02-28-09 08:28 PM
    All the 8xxx series went from 4.x to 4.5, and they will get 5.0 (at least most of them. 8100, 87xx are unlikely to get it)

02-28-09 08:30 PM
    Yeah, I really didn't think it was likely anytime soon and I talked to someone who was told by a rep that it was coming in March.

But my concern was whether it would EVER come out for the Storm. You just answered my question by saying it will more than likely come out for it eventually. Originally I thought you were pretty sure it would never come out it for it but probably just be for another generation of the Storm.

Can you give me any examples of any previous Blackberry models that went through a whole OS change?
    If you would have said 5.0 my answer would have been different. But you said 4.8 and I have heard that bogus rumor before so I tried to shoot it down ASAP so nobody would get a wild idea and start making everyone else think it was coming. That's all.
    Flash lite will likely never reach the BlackBerry platform. With the devices having the processing power they do its nearly certain full flash will come to the devices. Eventually.

Yepp Cant wait
    All the 8xxx series went from 4.x to 4.5, and they will get 5.0 (at least most of them. 8100, 87xx are unlikely to get it)

If I'm not mistaken 4.3 was the one that was changed to 4.5 correct?
    02-28-09 09:08 PM
    am i the only one who would like to see a contacts list with letters down the right side, similar to IPhone. I have over 300 contacts and the find button can take forever, having letter tabs on the right side would really be a welcome improvement IMO. And no i dont want an iphone, i love my berry on .109. No battery pulls in a week.
    02-28-09 09:21 PM
    So, my question is this in regards to Blackberry's and OS releases.

With the current business model in place RIM sells the devices to the carriers and the carriers sells them to their customers. What happens if someone wants an unlocked storm that is not bound to any one service? They are now SOL in terms of getting a newer OS unless a specific carriers decides to make an official release or it is leaked.

To me this is wrong and kinda draconian. Why not let RIM do the OS and release them. Then let the carriers just deal with providing the signal and call it a day. I know this will and can open up a whole new can of worms for not only the carriers but also RIM. Bit I feel kinda jaded when it comes to being stuck with a crap build OS for a nice phone and have to sit around with a thumb stuck up my rear cause of this strict testing standard or this moon and star phase does not line up with the build number.

Why not let the end user decide and if they so choose to run the latest version RIM has they sign a disclaimer and their PIN goes into a DB to show so?

.109 is so much nicer than .75 and I bet .1xx is also much nicer than what we have and/or current discussing in these forums.

I just dont understand sometimes why it is so hard to just release some stable software and let the end user decide what they want.
    02-28-09 09:21 PM
    So...for those in the know...are we looking at 5.0 for the storm before or after the release of Niagra? I read somewhere that Niagra will probably be late 3rd Qtr. Best guess is fine and if it was mentioned earlier in this thread I appologize cuz I may have skipped a few pages.
    02-28-09 09:23 PM

Processors capable of doing full Flash, but not full color support on the GUI interface?

02-28-09 09:25 PM
    So...for those in the know...are we looking at 5.0 for the storm before or after the release of Niagra? I read somewhere that Niagra will probably be late 3rd Qtr. Best guess is fine and if it was mentioned earlier in this thread I appologize cuz I may have skipped a few pages.
    People say May release, but that's basically up to the carrier.
    02-28-09 09:28 PM
    People say May release, but that's basically up to the carrier.
    Well....Since VZW is kinda slow in that arena Im sure we'll see a leak here. So Im taking that 5.0 is gonna be the GC?
    02-28-09 09:31 PM
    If I'm not mistaken 4.3 was the one that was changed to 4.5 correct?
    correct.......
    02-28-09 09:33 PM
    correct.......
    Why was 4.3 changed to 4.5? If you can say.
    02-28-09 10:11 PM
    Well....Since VZW is kinda slow in that arena Im sure we'll see a leak here. So Im taking that 5.0 is gonna be the GC?
    No 5.0 is not gold, it's a new OS, or major OS update that RIM is working on for most of their devices. The so called gold code release CX is taking about will be 4.7.0.XXX (it's not known yet the XXX part, but it AIN't the .109 most of us are using now)

RIM will also continue to develop the 4.7.0.XXX series until 5.0 is released. RIM is good about updating their OS(s).
    02-28-09 10:24 PM
    No 5.0 is not gold, it's a new OS, or major OS update that RIM is working on for most of their devices. The so called gold code release CX is taking about will be 4.7.0.XXX (it's not known yet the XXX part, but it AIN't the .109 most of us are using now)

RIM will also continue to develop the 4.7.0.XXX series until 5.0 is released. RIM is good about updating their OS(s).
    Yeah sure, RIM is great! It's only March and we still have no official update. Way to go RIM!

02-28-09 10:45 PM
    Until we either get the gold code or the 5.0xxx, I keep hoping for leaks....and also that they will continue coming for us....

I was really hoping for one during CB's birthday week, but it has not happened yet....
    02-28-09 10:47 PM
    Yeah sure, RIM is great! It's only March and we still have no official update. Way to go RIM!

.75, .76, .78 are official updates. RIM has nothing to do with the OS being released by the carriers. They develop the OS, then pass it off for QA. If it passes the carrier releases it, if they don't pass it then they dont. Also, the carriers rushed the release of the Storm, they wanted it in time for Black Friday, it should not of been released until Jan at the earliest. The Bold launched with an OS in the 16x range with AT&T. That means they went through 162 revisions of the OS before approving one for launch. If you dont like the storm in its current OS form, return it/sell it to someone, and go try again when you feel its up to snuff.
    02-28-09 10:50 PM

Is RIM to blame or could it be the carriers?
    02-28-09 10:50 PM
    correct.......
    Not correct. 4.3 is 4.3. 4.3.1 was changed to 4.5, and 4.3.2 became 4.6. The change in numbers was done to signify the significant differences in the UI
    02-28-09 10:51 PM
    Work on the Storm firmware will actually continue at the same pace well after the .14X's. Dont you worry about that.
    This just makes me smile like a 5 year old previously denied a trip to the toy store and forced to go to the grocery store only to find the TOY ISLE
    02-28-09 10:57 PM
    Is RIM to blame or could it be the carriers?
    RIM makes the OS and the carriers approve them for an "official" release or not... In my little world even though we all call them "beta" OSs and they can be buggy, RIM made the software for that particular phone and I'm da*n well going to install it

.75, .76, .78 are official updates. RIM has nothing to do with the OS being released by the carriers. They develop the OS, then pass it off for QA. If it passes the carrier releases it, if they don't pass it then they dont. Also, the carriers rushed the release of the Storm, they wanted it in time for Black Friday, it should not of been released until Jan at the earliest. The Bold launched with an OS in the 16x range with AT&T. That means they went through 162 revisions of the OS before approving one for launch. If you dont like the storm in its current OS form, return it/sell it to someone, and go try again when you feel its up to snuff.
    I always wondered about this... As always thank you for sharing your in depth knowledge :-P

Not correct. 4.3 is 4.3. 4.3.1 was changed to 4.5, and 4.3.2 became 4.6. The change in numbers was done to signify the significant differences in the UI
    It's been a while since my 8830 days, but the 8830 had 4.2 originally right? I remember loading an early build of 4.5 on mine before I sold it...
    02-28-09 11:05 PM
    Yep, 4.2 -> then the EARLY betas of 4.5 were labeled 4.3.1 -> then 4.5
    02-28-09 11:07 PM
605 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD