No, you think you know what you are doing. There is quite a bit more to the beta program than just loading the OS. You also have not bricked your device. When you do, you will not be able to recover it. Wait til you get your PIN showing as FFFFFFFF or the phone no longer responds to anything. Then whom does it cost? It costs RIM and the carriers because you mess with something that by all rights you are not supposed to have.
    I put brick in parenthesis because I know that. Certainly I am not as knowledgeable as you, BUT I am more knowledgeable than most. IF I did that much damage to my phone I would then contact someone like you to TRY and help me fix it. I am also well aware that we are NOT unoffical beta testers, and we are simply using leaked software, often well past it's testing period. My point was that I would be willing to try RIM certified releases AT MY OWN RISK! I also realize it's unlikely to ever happen. I can dream can't I?
    03-02-09 09:36 AM
    RIM would never release that, because by "certifying" the release they would assume liability just like any other official release.
    03-02-09 09:38 AM
    I put brick in parenthesis because I know that. Certainly I am not as knowledgeable as you, BUT I am more knowledgeable than most. IF I did that much damage to my phone I would then contact someone like you to TRY and help me fix it. I am also well aware that we are NOT unoffical beta testers, and we are simply using leaked software, often well past it's testing period. My point was that I would be willing to try RIM certified releases AT MY OWN RISK! I also realize it's unlikely to ever happen. I can dream can't I?
    Just to clarify any cooked firmware from RIM, sent to a provider, does not mean its certified. RIM does not certify anything. The provider does. So technically RIM could never supply a certified OS to you
    03-02-09 09:44 AM
    RIM would never release that, because by "certifying" the release they would assume liability just like any other official release.
    Just to clarify any cooked firmware from RIM, sent to a provider, does not mean its certified. RIM does not certify anything. The provider does. So technically RIM could never supply a certified OS to you
    I understand. I official resign from the debating society. A boy can dream can't he?
    03-02-09 09:51 AM
    Here is the simple answer to why this will never happen. As long as the Government(s) use RIM devices, you will never see a public beta. There is a reason why no one should have these until they are certified by a provider
    That is funny as the Government doesn't upgrade their RIM devices, ( at least not officially) whats in it when they get it is what stays in it.. Every time they get new ones I manage to break mine so I get the latest and greatest. I doubt they will ever get the storm. Also they tend to use different carriers depending on the agency you work for. Military mainly uses Nextel ( JUNK ) as far as I am concerned. Everyone in my unit has purchased their own personal ones and we use Verizon. Our coverage is much better.

A Beta release really couldn't jeopardize any Government RIM Devices..
    03-02-09 09:51 AM
    That is funny as the Government doesn't upgrade their RIM devices, ( at least not officially) whats in it when they get it is what stays in it.. Every time they get new ones I manage to break mine so I get the latest and greatest. I doubt they will ever get the storm. Also they tend to use different carriers depending on the agency you work for. Military mainly uses Nextel ( JUNK ) as far as I am concerned. Everyone in my unit has purchased their own personal ones and we use Verizon. Our coverage is much better.

A Beta release really couldn't jeopardize any Government RIM Devices..
    First, the Storm is being evaluated by DISA now.
    Second, it depends on what you do in the military. the DoD is the single largest customer of RIM.
    03-02-09 09:53 AM
    o grrrrreat
    03-02-09 09:57 AM
    I understand. I official resign from the debating society. A boy can dream can't he?
    I dont mind a good debate! Just wanted to clarify some things, and give you some facts to go with
    03-02-09 09:58 AM
    Second, it depends on what you do in the military. the DoD is the single largest customer of RIM.
    Sith, have you been working on anymore hybrids or are you just fallen back waiting for a release?
    03-02-09 09:58 AM
    Wow Glad to hear they are Evaluating the Storm.. Doubt us field guys will ever see it, Touch screen isn't all that great in a field environment. Good to know that DoD is the largest buyer of RIM devices, but like I said unless they get a new batch in were still running on older equipment that's been out a couple of years. My Avatar might give you an idea at what I do hehehe
    03-02-09 10:00 AM
    Hybrid work is being done for me by others on the forum with mixed results lol
    03-02-09 10:00 AM
    I love reading these forums. I totally understand where CX and Sith come from. We are, in general, an impatient lot.

I want to give a slightly different perspective on the Beta OS situation.

Until the Beta version .103 came out, I was very unhappy with my Storm. It was slow, it froze at times, and often unusable. I am a businessman that needs to count on his Blackberry. It is not a toy to play Bricklayer on.

To be honest, if it were not for the leaked OSs, I would have probably returned my Storm and gone back to my 8830. So, believe it or not, it was beneficial for RIM that there were leaks. Quite frankly, I would wonder if RIM monitors these forums with every leak to see how they've done with a particular OS... no liability for them if the tests go poorly... and a willing bunch and a larger beta test group than they would get otherwise.

On the flipside, however, a NDA is an NDA - it must be respected. Suggesting that someone who is a beta tester or employee "owes" it to the rest of us to leak anything is absurd. To risk your job or to be sued for a second of glory with folks out there in "la la land"? Nah... not worth it.

I too would love to be a beta tester - I've done it with other pieces (not RIM) of software in my past. I love to be on the cutting edge, like anyone on this forum. I'd hate for someone to lose their livelihood or get sued just so I can have a piece of software a little early. Patience.
    03-02-09 10:01 AM
    Wow Glad to hear they are Evaluating the Storm.. Doubt us field guys will ever see it, Touch screen isn't all that great in a field environment. Good to know that DoD is the largest buyer of RIM devices, but like I said unless they get a new batch in were still running on older equipment that's been out a couple of years. My Avatar might give you an idea at what I do hehehe
    Racer, thanks for your service!
    03-02-09 10:02 AM
    Hybrid work is being done for me by others on the forum with mixed results lol
    LOL hey just curious i was at shoveling the snow this am. Had the media player going the just gave a nice reboot which app had that issue i cant remember. I liked .109 but the memory leak sucked.
    03-02-09 10:05 AM
    LOL hey just curious i was at shoveling the snow this am. Had the media player going the just gave a nice reboot which app had that issue i cant remember. I liked .109 but the memory leak sucked.
    I was hoping to have a new leak to play with, instead I spent 3 hours on the snow blower ! I was ready for spring and now this !!! We got about a foot and another blast is almost here so should be close to 15 or 16 inches by the time its done.. How bad is it in Philly ?
    03-02-09 10:10 AM
    I was hoping to have a new leak to play with, instead I spent 3 hours on the snow blower ! I was ready for spring and now this !!! We got about a foot and another blast is almost here so should be close to 15 or 16 inches by the time its done.. How bad is it in Philly ?
    Less than a foot, maybe 8/10 inches.
    03-02-09 10:14 AM
    Less than a foot, maybe 8/10 inches.
    im in the n.w. suburbs but work in the city out here were at 6 and climbing
    03-02-09 10:17 AM
    im in the n.w. suburbs but work in the city out here were at 6 and climbing
    you would think i would at least by a snowblower but the Blackberrys are more important
    03-02-09 10:18 AM
    Well with the pattern we have been following it seems really unlikely that we will see a leak in the .130's any time soon unless it is pushed by theCarriers. I think the single largest jump we have seen yet was .90 to .99 an of the pattern holds at a week an a half to two weeks then we will see a .13x leak in April.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-09 10:20 AM
    I for one am thankful that the leaks do come. It's nice to see the improvements that are being made. I thank those that are able to give us hope.

This phone has a ton of potential.
    03-02-09 10:20 AM
    Ya know what bugs me though. Seems like every time I try an show my storm off to friends or co workers it always seems to get jacked up. Usually it starts lagging something aweful. Maybe its because I rush it or that I am used to its speed now, I dunno just always seems to happen.

03-02-09 10:24 AM
    I for one am thankful that the leaks do come. It's nice to see the improvements that are being made. I thank those that are able to give us hope.

This phone has a ton of potential.
    So am I. Extremely grateful. Might not seem like it some but I am.

03-02-09 10:26 AM
    For what it's worth, the tech at my local Verizon shop said the official OS update is due mid-may. I don't like spreading speculation, but this guys seems to be a little bit more in the know.
    03-02-09 10:30 AM
    In Canada they would call what we got in Philly a dusting.

Bottom line for a leak, lets just hope, RIM, VZW, etc (and I know they are) continue the hard work, so soon we can see a good leak, and maybe, JUST maybe a certified VZW (or Bell, or Telus) release. Otherwise we will TRY to patiently wait. Shovel show while you wait it builds character!
    03-02-09 10:40 AM
    I wish some of you would consider what would happen if you were at a point in deciding whether to lose your job, or satisfy people who don't put food on your table. Would you risk your job, and potentially put your family at risk? Highly doubtful.

I respect Radio, CX, Sith, and all the others who give us tidbits of information. I also can't stand the faux people pretending to be in the know, when they really just copy information others had already stated. All this talk about the GC, as though they are so enlightened. Give it a break. Fact of the matter is, a great release is just around the corner. Whose corner? Well, that's to be decided, but be PATIENT, or go back to .78
    BUT......I believe there is also a part of the "leaker" that wants the limelight......to show everyone what they have.....etc.
    The "Big Man on Campus" sort of thing.......
    I also believe that those that MOST of those that leak are NOT the ones who could get fired.......
    Is that way off base?
    03-02-09 10:48 AM
605 ... 1415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD