Storm is arriving at my door any moment.

Question is, it seems that the MOST positive response regardless of OS; has been from doing what I assume is a JL Cmnder full wipe prior to installing any OS.

So the question is regardless of OS releases or how the device functions on receipt, do you reccomend that I begin by doing a DM backup, JL full wipe, install .75 or .76 and remove VZNAV and VZVM?

Thanks foor the feedback - I know there is no 'right' answer, but I'd love the expert's opinions.
    12-05-08 07:30 AM
    I don't know, I haven't done a full wipe and have upgraded the OS two time and have had no issues. I thought the device was fully wiped in the installation of the OS anyway.

As far as VZNavigator, I have found it very useful, even though I don't pay for the service. You can still use it to find movie showtimes, movie theaters, restaurants, etc. even though you have enabled the GPS functionality.
    12-05-08 07:41 AM
    For the most part I think it comes down to preference. Although, it's of my personal opinion it is good to wipe the device every three or four SW upgrades. That said, you don't "have" to wipe at all. Some try and say that the DM does it for you, and while technically this is true the DM doesn't always do what we want how we want.
    I suggest wiping the device prior to upgrading every 3 or 4 upgrades.
    12-05-08 07:41 AM
    Thanks CX - having read these pages since I got my 8700, I think I can trust your advice. since this will be the first update, I will not wipe this time, just update and get rid of VZNAV and VZVM.

Just curious do you personally prefer the .75 or the Bell .76?
    12-05-08 07:47 AM
    Thanks CX - having read these pages since I got my 8700, I think I can trust your advice. since this will be the first update, I will not wipe this time, just update and get rid of VZNAV and VZVM.

Just curious do you personally prefer the .75 or the Bell .76?
    After 10 hours with .76, the 2 big things I see over .75 is the camera is faster, (still painfully slow)..
    The keyboard seems a little quicker reacting when typing...
    Personally i'd go with .76, it's a little better, for sure not BG better.....
    12-05-08 07:57 AM
    Thanks for the input fone!

Time makes a difference, 10 hours gives a real sense of what is happening with OS.
    12-05-08 08:05 AM
    One thing I might add in this thread especially, after 2 upgrades, I am starting to
    see where I will need to wipe before the next one...Hard to explain , but blank boxes popping up momentarily during menu changes and a little rubberbanding while sliding around, hardly noticeable, but I think it will get worse without a wipe before the next upgrade....
    12-05-08 08:11 AM
    How are you able to use it without paying for the service? I used it on my old LG ENV and it always made me pay 2.99 for 24 hrs. (We used it on trips to get door to door directions but didn't go too frequently so no need to pay for it monthly.) Can you use it for all that stuff WITHOUT paying a monthly fee??

I don't know, I haven't done a full wipe and have upgraded the OS two time and have had no issues. I thought the device was fully wiped in the installation of the OS anyway.

As far as VZNavigator, I have found it very useful, even though I don't pay for the service. You can still use it to find movie showtimes, movie theaters, restaurants, etc. even though you have enabled the GPS functionality.
    12-05-08 08:22 AM
    I always wipe... the quilted kind is the best.

lol sorry I had to do it.
    12-05-08 08:24 AM
    How are you able to use it without paying for the service? I used it on my old LG ENV and it always made me pay 2.99 for 24 hrs. (We used it on trips to get door to door directions but didn't go too frequently so no need to pay for it monthly.) Can you use it for all that stuff WITHOUT paying a monthly fee??
    Storms came with a 30 day trial of vz nav...
    12-05-08 08:30 AM
    Storm is arriving at my door any moment.

Question is, it seems that the MOST positive response regardless of OS; has been from doing what I assume is a JL Cmnder full wipe prior to installing any OS.

So the question is regardless of OS releases or how the device functions on receipt, do you reccomend that I begin by doing a DM backup, JL full wipe, install .75 or .76 and remove VZNAV and VZVM?

Thanks foor the feedback - I know there is no 'right' answer, but I'd love the expert's opinions.
    Check first to make sure your new phone was shipped with .65....
    I had a replacement phone sent to me, with .75 installed!
    12-05-08 08:32 AM
    Check first to make sure your new phone was shipped with .65....
    I had a replacement phone sent to me, with .75 installed!
    Was it a referb?
    12-05-08 08:36 AM
    Mine is not a replacement it was shipped last night by O/N I really doubt it has .75 but I will check. I was thinking about using .76 anyway.
    12-05-08 08:41 AM
    Was it a referb?
    Nope. New in sealed box...
    12-05-08 08:47 AM
    I too wipe before installing the OS. Whether or not it makes a difference, I do not know for sure, but I use the same philosophy as if I was installing a new OS on a computer which is format and install OS after that.
    12-05-08 08:50 AM
    How do you wipe completely to be exact?
    12-11-08 01:16 PM
    How do you wipe completely to be exact?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...l_cmder-53502/
    12-11-08 01:59 PM
    For what its worth, I would suggest a wipe. Specifically with JL commander. Do it before you add any info and then use app loader to install .76 not .75 (delete the vendor .xml or move it out to a new folder to keep for backup).

Also make sure you check the details on the core update because even if you install .75 some times the DM will try to make you install .75 no matter what you select so use the app installer for .76.

Best of luck

PS remove the battery and see if you have a gap around your sim card or sd card if you do grap a TORX 6 star bit driver and read up on how to install a small shim of sorts using small cuts of a buisness card or about 100lb card stock and then tight them up. Not over tight but it s the same effect of lossening the screws but keeps them tight so they dont budge.
    12-11-08 02:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD