I never wiped my phone. Had it since .65. Installed .75, .85, .86, .90.
    I want to install .99 but have not wiped the phone. Should I or can I leave it alone? Being seriously.
    02-01-09 09:42 AM
    your phone gets wiped when installing an os using dm4.7. Go check your options screen dude...
    02-01-09 09:45 AM
    Not wiping is plain dirty.
    02-01-09 09:51 AM
    dont bother. its not necessary at all unless you're taking your phone back and want to be extra sure your personal data is destroyed. its just another step some paranoid people take, giving the placebo effect that somehow by doing a 'wipe' you have a 'cleaner/fresher install'
    02-01-09 09:55 AM
    On a serious note, I don't know why people ask this. Doing a wipe is pretty painless, so why not?
    02-01-09 09:57 AM
    On a serious note, I don't know why people ask this. Doing a wipe is pretty painless, so why not?
    because it's an unnecessary extra step.
    02-01-09 10:03 AM
    Could be, but if you're concerned enough to ask about it then why not just perform a wipe? It's not clear to me that installing a new OS erases the flash entirely.
    02-01-09 10:11 AM
    Not everyone agrees with this, including a lot of the "power users" around here. I have done it a few times and it's not like it takes a long time.
    02-01-09 10:13 AM
    It won't really hurt much either way you go. I'd say wiping is a good idea if you're going to go back to a lower OS version, because only the files that are part of the OS get wiped, your preferences don't, and if any of those have changed, they can cause problems.

If your phone is running fine post-update I wouldn't worry about it... But, before claiming that some OS sucks, and has this or that bug, I'd suggest wiping and reloading to see if that helps at all. I had issues with .90 at first. Didn't wipe from previous releases, and after maybe no more than an hour my 1XEV connection would drop to 1xev, and then 1X, and even 1x. If I turned the antenna off and back on, it might work for a time, or it might reboot the phone on me. Wiped and reloaded .90 and it worked exceedingly well from then on with the exception of a slightly faster battery drain.

I can't say for certain it was the wipe that did it, because I changed a few other things at the same time, but sometimes simply reloading helps.
    02-01-09 10:15 AM
    If you wipe your phone and restore all your data from a backup then it is pointless. if you wipe your phone and only restore service books and contacts and reinstall all your programs by hand i can see a benefit. I tried this method on .99 install and have not had any problems. All other OS i never wiped
    02-01-09 10:39 AM
    If you wipe your phone and restore all your data from a backup then it is pointless. if you wipe your phone and only restore service books and contacts and reinstall all your programs by hand i can see a benefit. I tried this method on .99 install and have not had any problems. All other OS i never wiped

Agreed,

I never do a complete restore from backup, I always use the advanced backup dialog and I never restore anything but Address Book, Browser Bookmarks, Messages and SMS Messages. I let everything else go and just reinstall all of my apps from scratch, this seems to keep my issues list way down as compared to some others.

I have done a complete JL wipe every single time and I think it's the way to go to guarantee that there will be nothing left from the previous OS. I am starting to think that upgrading without a wipe DOES leave things in the device memory which could be causing a few issues.
    02-01-09 10:49 AM
    Since wiping is such an easy thing I guess I would recommend it to everyone!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-09 11:47 AM
    I've wiped for every new OS I've ever installed. It takes all of 2 minutes to do and gives you a clean slate. I kind of see it as reformatting the hard drive on a computer before upgrading from XP to Vista. I just don't see why not but that's just me.
    02-01-09 12:07 PM
    How Do You Do A Wipe Out On Blackberry Storm
    02-01-09 12:11 PM
    I usually start with a stack install with a new OS and see how ti goes. If for some reason the OS blows on my phone, I try a clean install before giving up on the OS. It's a lot easier than beginning with a clean install.

Basically, I think you're fine.
    02-01-09 12:15 PM
    Go search for CX's post on it. He has a VERY in detail step-by-step on how to wipe
    02-01-09 12:18 PM
    Wipe.

02-01-09 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD