I am running Windows Vista 64 and I am having issues...

I am using a Blackberry Storm and Vista (64) doesn't see the device.

Media card Support is :ON
    Encryption Mode is : NONE
    Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) is: ON
    Mass Storage Mode Support is : ON
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected is : YES

So, I am not quite sure what the issue is...

When reviewing Device Manager, it shows under USB and thats it.

I have uninstalled this and reinstalled to no avail!

Anybody?

Chris
    04-29-09 01:56 PM
    Not sure if I have a solid answer for you, but I was able to get my Vista64 system to see my Storm only after totally uninstalling Blackberry's Desktop Manager and all RIM drivers. Steps: (1) standard uninstall from add/remove programs (I actually used freeware Revo Unisntaller); (2) rebooted; (3) using a program like Regseeker (freeware) searched for and deleted all entries in registry related to "Research in Motion" and "Blackberry"; (4) deleted all folders on c:\ drive relating to the same, including Program Files\Research in Motion, Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion, and others; (5) removed/uninstalled entries to the USB device from device manager; (6) for good measure, I ran the clean registry feature of Regseeker; and (6) rebooted.

At this point my system was cleaned of any and all RIM/Blackberry software, drivers, references, etc. I then installed an OS exe file (in my case, 1.32). I plugged the Storm in and it saw the device in device manager and My Computer. I then installed Blackberry's Desktop Manager and rebooted. The Storm has been working with my Vista64 system ever since.

Word of caution: proceed at your own risk. Modifying or playing with the registry can lead to undesirable consequences. This worked for me, might not for you.

Was all this necessary? Probably not. But the 15 minute effort led to the result I was looking for. No matter if some was excessive.
    Last edited by crackberryfan; 04-29-09 at 02:36 PM.
    04-29-09 02:33 PM
    I am running vista ultimate (x64) with my storm and have not had any problems. Usually if vista doesn't recognize something I reboot and try again, but it always recognizes my storm.
    Tip: don't leave your storm plugged in when (re)starting your computer, wait until it fully loads then plug it in. Also, check the same usb port with a different device, or try another port. You may have a bad or loose usb port
    04-29-09 03:00 PM
    04-29-09 03:00 PM
    Also, before starting DM, right click on it, and run as administrator
    04-29-09 03:36 PM
    try setting the auto enable mass storage mode to prompt, and when you connect it next time select "no" on the device, when mass storage is enabled windows will only see the BB as a usb disk drive, when it is disabled you should see windows start searching for the BB USB drivers....
    04-29-09 03:52 PM
    nope....

Prompting didnt work.... but Thanks...

and

as for crackberry fans idea....

tried and no go either.... very strange!
    04-29-09 04:50 PM
    I am also running DM on Vista Enterprise x64. One thing that you might also check is the cable that you are using to connect the Storm. For some reason Vista x64 is somewhat choosy with what cables it will work with. I have various cables that I use (regular, double-headed, roll-up, all with the micro-USB connector) and only some of them will work on x64. Don't understand why. Also try different USB ports. The drivers attach to a port and you can sometimes get it to load correctly by trying a different port. Also, make sure that you are running the very latest version of DM. For what it's worth; hope this helps!
    04-29-09 05:00 PM
    Can you see the device as a USB device, by looking using Windows Explorer?

Have you installed the USB drivers, if not try downloading as a separate file from RIM and load independently from DM.
    04-29-09 05:37 PM
    I would follow crackberryfan's advice. I had the same problem with Vista 64 with the exception that I had it working fine for awhile and then Desktop Manager would not recognize the phone. Vista would see the device and it didn't matter about having mass storage enabled or not. I spent many hours trying all the recommended fixes to no avail, even the total removal of all RIM files and registry entries nothing worked for me. I finally broke down and did a system restore on the computer to a date that I knew it worked properly, this solved the problem for me but did not tell me what caused the problem. I know that I was playing with getting Plazmic Theme Builder and all its associated software running (this is a new computer for me) so that may have been the source of my problems.

Don't know if this helps but its my experience with your problem.
    04-29-09 07:28 PM
    There have been some other posts with similar issues, and at least one of those was resolved by deleting the USB drivers and reinstalling.
    04-29-09 08:36 PM
    I had the same problem. Did a little search (hint) and found the fix for it. dl the .rar file and follow the instruction. I did it and it worked
    Good Luck

Mass Storage issues? (Here's the fix) - PinStack.com
    04-29-09 10:17 PM
    I'm new and I'm just not sure, but what exactly does the desktop manager do? What can I do with my phone plugged in? I think I am going to unistall/reinstall, because all that happens now is the autoplay box pops up.

Simply put...what am I missing?
    04-30-09 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD