OK... have seen numerous threads about this, but none have a solution that works for me. Here is what I am seeing/getting...

1. My work pc (Win XP) sees the BB and the media card. I have been able to move photos etc to it at work. This pc only has 1 hard drive.
    2. My step-son's PC (Win XP) is the same as above. It sees it and can access it. This pc only has 1 hard drive.
    3. My home PC (Win 7) cannot see the media card either with windows explorer or the BB software. This pc has 1 sata drive, broken into C: and D:, 2 IDE drives E: and F:, DVD-rom is G.
    5. My home PC can see the media card in disk management console, plus in the device manager
    6. People at work (Win 7) have no problems seeing their cards.
    7. When I plug in the BB, it grabs drive letter H:, but no media card
    8. Mass storage mode, media card support and auto enable mass storage mode when connected are on
    9. All of my hard drives on the home pc are formatted as NTFS, and the BB is FAT

Just got the storm 2 last week, so I'm still a newbie with it!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Last edited by lovetodrive2000; 05-16-10 at 07:01 AM.
    05-10-10 06:37 PM
    Do Step 5 and Step 7 refer to the same PC?
    05-10-10 07:06 PM
    Do Step 5 and Step 7 refer to the same PC?
    Yes... same pc.

The home pc using windows explorer or the BB software cannot see the media card, but if you go into disk management or device manager, it is there.

When I plug in the BB into the home pc, it is found right away, but the card never does show up in WE or BB software!
    Last edited by lovetodrive2000; 05-11-10 at 03:42 AM.
    05-11-10 03:38 AM
    It sounds like you have a drive letter assignment conflict. Can you temporarily remove some drives from your home PC to free up drive letters? When you look in disk management, are drive letters above H available?
    05-11-10 09:19 AM
    I'll have to look at this tomorrow evening... ran out of time tonight!
    05-11-10 09:26 PM
    Have you tried changing the assigned drive letter via disk management?

Looking at #'s 5-7...
    I'm really only familiar with windows XP (not so much Windows 7), but you will get this behavior if the USBSTOR service isn't started. Now, I have no idea why USB Mass storage would be disabled on a "home" PC, but some of us who work in Government offices are used to it; here's how to check...you'll need admin rights:

Open REGEDIT, find the following key

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR

check the value for the "Start" DWORD -- it should be set to "3". If it is set to "4", then the service has been disabled. Change it to "3", close registry editor and then plug your device in. If it's already set to "3"...then it's something else.
    05-11-10 09:38 PM
    Have you tried changing the assigned drive letter via disk management?

Looking at #'s 5-7...
    I'm really only familiar with windows XP (not so much Windows 7), but you will get this behavior if the USBSTOR service isn't started. Now, I have no idea why USB Mass storage would be disabled on a "home" PC, but some of us who work in Government offices are used to it; here's how to check...you'll need admin rights:

Open REGEDIT, find the following key

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR

check the value for the "Start" DWORD -- it should be set to "3". If it is set to "4", then the service has been disabled. Change it to "3", close registry editor and then plug your device in. If it's already set to "3"...then it's something else.
    Its already at 3.... but thanks for the idea!
    05-12-10 04:18 AM
    Where to start?

Disconnected the 4 card reader - still not seeing the BB media card
    Disconnected the two extra IDE drives - still not seeing the BB media card
    Disconnected the DVD-rom - still not seeing the BB media card

At this point, only had my main drive (500 gig), which is partitioned to 30 gig C:, and 470 gig D:, still can't see the media card in the BB.

When I opened Windows Explorer I had:
    c:
    d:
    h: <== BB

In device manager I had:
    c:
    BB: H:
    D:

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by lovetodrive2000; 05-14-10 at 06:35 AM.
    05-13-10 07:04 PM
    OK... my son got onto my pc (remote login).... and here is what he did... and now I can access both the BB and the Media Card...

In the device manager, there had been (I never saw it!) a "storage device" that was unallocated. He uninstalled that.

Then he uninstalled the BB from the Portable Devices...

Rebooted... and there they were.

Can move files to the card now, and the BB can play the vid's or pic's.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!!
    05-16-10 09:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD