Since I read in the OS Beta sticky that you shouldn't use Win7 to install an OS, I had a question or 2. I'm going to be installing it on my desktop later today, which I had used to sync/update my gf's Storm to. I've been using my laptop to do mine.

I know you can sync more than one BB to a PC, but does it require making another Windows login? I'm mostly worried about combining all 34809234 of her contacts with mine.
    01-17-09 09:33 AM
    nope, it creates a separate backup file for each PIN that connects... unless you have them sync with outlook, then I couldn't say - I don't use it. I haven't tried installing DM on my Windows 7 machine yet, but wonder if you would be able to run it in compatibility mode without any issues to help with your above comment.
    01-17-09 09:46 AM
    Yes, and despite the sticky, many users have gotten it to work on Windows 7. I think it all has to do with the motherboard and it's compatibility in Windows 7.
    01-17-09 10:11 AM
    the only way i got .86 to work in windows 7 i had to run an windows xp virtual machine but everything else worked fine in windows 7
    01-17-09 10:25 AM
    A couple weeks ago I was installing .85 and I bricked, exchanged, and rebricked before I realized it was windows 7 causing the problems. Luckily wiping in XP fixed the replacement. I feel kinda bad for dicking over RIM on this one but I forgot I was running a beta OS. Oh well live and learn.

To be fair the phone had a horrible screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by pstanger; 01-17-09 at 10:34 AM.
    01-17-09 10:31 AM
    I bricked my Storm when while updating it while using Windows 7, too. It seemed like the USB drivers screwed up halfway through the flash process. I was sad.

It'll be awhile before I plug my Storm into another PC with Windows 7, that's for sure.
    01-17-09 10:35 AM
    I upgraded my Storm to .86 no problem with Windows 7. Then last night I upgraded a friends Bold to .216 and it took three hours to get it to load properly (Restarting the computer and loading the first part of the bb os with it's battery out did the trick).

I had the same issue with my Storm when going from .65 to the leaked .75 while running Vista. I think it may be a 64bit issue rather than an OS specific issue.
    01-17-09 02:52 PM
    Yep windows 7 does have some driver issues for the storm. Plug it in and you will see that it installs unsuccessfully.

01-18-09 04:26 AM
    I have windows 7. All I had to do was change the port my usb cable was in. I haven't had a problem since...

01-18-09 04:30 AM
    I haven't run an update using Windows 7, but my Storm syncs without any issues in Windows 7.
    01-18-09 04:05 PM
    Just for "grins" I connected my Storm to a friend's Win7 machine - attempting to let it just look like a "mass storage" device. The USB drivers just wouldn't recognize the Storm.

We started messing with it and had to tell the Win7 OS specifically which USB port to use - even then I don't think it was really working properly, but it did at least use the Storm's storage as if it were off-board mass storage.
    01-18-09 05:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD