Hey guys,

My Storm1 has me at wits end. I've had it a year and a half now and I have a lot of freeze ups and major memory issues (boots up with 5 mb, which disappears quickly), plus I have a ton of dust under the screen, etc, etc.

It's a work expensed phone, and I am eligible for upgrade, however my work won't let me upgrade for a few more months at least (long story- they are negotiating a new corp deal, etc so don't want me to do anything like that for awhile).

So I'm stuck with my S1, but wanted to see if I called Asurian, Verizon's insurance for our phones, if you think I could get a swap for a Storm2. I'm hoping that they no longer have any Storm1's to swap for folks with issues. Anyone have any insight or advice on this?

Thanks!!
    06-02-10 01:39 PM
    You mean like...fraud?
    06-02-10 02:15 PM
    It's not fraud if he's not trying to trick them.

Bottom line--I doubt it, but it never hurts to ask.
    06-02-10 02:24 PM
    I'd say you stand about a 1% chance of succeeding and actually, less than that if you're trying to do it through insurance. If you were still on the manufacturer's warranty, you might have a 2% chance (there are a very few who posted saying they did get an upgrade, but only a very few). Since you've had it 1.5 years, it's a bit late to be complaining. Suck it up and hold on for your company to complete their new deal. By then, you may have a Storm 3 awaiting you.
    06-02-10 02:27 PM
    Not trying to decieve anybody. The S1 was discontinued at least 6 months ago and I wanted to see if due to that fact, if they are swapping S2's for those with legit insurance issues on the S1.
    06-02-10 02:31 PM
    I'd say you stand about a 1% chance of succeeding and actually, less than that if you're trying to do it through insurance. If you were still on the manufacturer's warranty, you might have a 2% chance (there are a very few who posted saying they did get an upgrade, but only a very few). Since you've had it 1.5 years, it's a bit late to be complaining. Suck it up and hold on for your company to complete their new deal. By then, you may have a Storm 3 awaiting you.
    Part of the reason I waited so long to do anything is that i kept reading on this forum that RIM was supposed to announce the S3 at their conference in April. So I trudged through the issues I was having waiting for some good RIM news. When they didn't - big fail on their part - I started exploring other phones to upgrade to, only to find out about the corp issue/delay, and am now exploring options in the interim...
    06-02-10 02:34 PM
    S1 was EOL'd in February. So they may still have replacement units.

I may be mistaken, but I thought the issue of dust under the screen was a warranty issue, like EP alluded to.
    06-02-10 02:39 PM
    Part of the reason I waited so long to do anything is that i kept reading on this forum that RIM was supposed to announce the S3 at their conference in April. So I trudged through the issues I was having waiting for some good RIM news. When they didn't - big fail on their part - I started exploring other phones to upgrade to, only to find out about the corp issue/delay, and am now exploring options in the interim...
    Every Storm so far (and A LOT of Verizon's top phones) are released in late November just in time for Christmas shopping season. If you're expecting an S3 this year, this is when I'd expect it. I'm not sure I'd call it fail, as the S2 is still less than a year old.

S1 was EOL'd in February. So they may still have replacement units.

I may be mistaken, but I thought the issue of dust under the screen was a warranty issue, like EP alluded to.
    I think warranty runs out after a year? yes/no?
    06-02-10 03:19 PM
    I think warranty runs out after a year? yes/no?
    Yes warranty is one year, what I meant was that if the dust was in fact a warranty issue, the OP has missed that window.

I don't know if Asurion will process a claim for dust.
    06-02-10 03:29 PM
    Since your employer is in the middle of a contract negotiation with Verizon, you run the risk of supporting a Storm2 that your employer leaves behind if they should decide to part company with VZW.

Too much risk for too little reward if you ask me, all in all.
    06-02-10 04:21 PM
    Why do you only have 5 MB of memory left? Surely there must be something you don't need and can delete?

There are lots of Storm 1 refurbs still out there, so you will most likely get one of those as a replacement. If you're lucky you might get a new Storm 1 that is still sitting around.
    06-02-10 04:48 PM
    It can be done. Just explain the issues you are having with the S1. My fiance called the insurance company after we went into a Verizon repeatly with memory issues and with it freezing up. He told us to call the insurance company and just explain the issues we were having with our phones. So we did and he got two S2's sent to us without backs. He was on the phone for a few hours just explaining all the issues the S1 has given us. It was within the one year warranty phase. So i know it can be done, its not impossible.
    06-02-10 09:03 PM
    doubt it bro!
    06-02-10 09:06 PM
    Just went through this whole type of thing for my wifes Storm 1. Verizon no longer does the upgrade from the Storm 1 to Storm 2 like they've done before. Sad, but true. They said they stopped this about 2 months ago.
    06-02-10 10:21 PM
    There's a big difference between "warranty" and "insurance." He's already stated that he's six months out of warranty. Assurion's coverage is not nearly as complete as that of the original factory warranty.

I'm often surprised, so there's no guarantees they won't replace it...WITH AN S1. As others have said, there's a warehouse full of refurbs. That being said, when I sold my S1 shortly after the 5.0 upgrade to buy an S2, I was pretty happy with my Storm 1's performance. I wonder how many people with problems, try doing a wipe and use only the factory apps for a week or so, to see what their device performs like. Five MB of memory says he's got a lot of apps and at least one of them, may be giving problems. No guarantee on that, either, but his warranty is up.

It can be done. Just explain the issues you are having with the S1. My fiance called the insurance company after we went into a Verizon repeatly with memory issues and with it freezing up. He told us to call the insurance company and just explain the issues we were having with our phones. So we did and he got two S2's sent to us without backs. He was on the phone for a few hours just explaining all the issues the S1 has given us. It was within the one year warranty phase. So i know it can be done, its not impossible.
    06-03-10 12:09 AM
    the insurance program in the past has replaced defective models with the next up model when the original is not available I'd say its worth a try just tell them all the problems you have (don't lie) and pay them the deductible and hopefully they will send you a new storm 2
    06-03-10 02:11 PM
    So here we have all this speculation. Make the call and let us know what happens. No point in further speculation about what MAY or MAY NOT, happen.
    06-03-10 02:40 PM
    I just swapped (Last week) from a broken Storm to a nifty brand new (not refurbed) S2!!!! Asurion kicks but!

They sent me another S1 but it was crap and the screen did not move right and typing was not going to work. They were really nice to me.
    06-03-10 03:20 PM
    I heard from someone who has had her storm1 replaced by Verizon and they told her the storm1 is being discontinued so they will give her the storm2 so idk why they wouldnt

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-10 11:30 PM
    Had similar results. If you have enough problems and exchanges of the Storm 1 you could get lucky. I actually got a back with mine.....
    10-07-10 09:40 AM
    I just swapped (Last week) from a broken Storm to a nifty brand new (not refurbed) S2!!!! Asurion kicks but!

They sent me another S1 but it was crap and the screen did not move right and typing was not going to work. They were really nice to me.
    I had the same experience about six months ago. The rocker button on my S1 broke, so Asurion sent me a refurb which would not retain anything after a reboot. Everything -- service books, apps, address book, calendar, messages -- got deleted on a battery pull.

I was really nice to the rep the second time around and happend to mention that I had delayed getting to a new phone because I was waiting for the S2's replacement. He said, "I'll see if I can get you a Storm 2."

It arrived, new in box, with a car charger and case tossed in for good measure.
    10-07-10 08:04 PM
    Had a problem with my S-1 a few weeks ago and went into the local V-Store. They took one look at the screen and said, yep - replacement time, so they gave me a refurb S-1. Almost immediately the Refurb was having occasional problems charging and I thought it was a fluke. So, I kept it for another three weeks and the problem got worse, even when trying three different chargers (mine, wifes, auto). Finally a week ago it shut down completely (the charging port) and I had to recharge it by doing a battery swap with my wife's BB S-1 while out of state. After keeping in text contact with my rep at the V-Store, I brought it into them on tuesday of this week. They took a look, said that they would swap it out again (you do know what a pain it is to re-contact all your PIN contacts and give them your "new" BB PIN each time you change phones.) for a replacement. After searching their stock and an hour of back and forth, they ended up giving me a replacement BB S-2, new not refurb, as they didn't have anymore S-1's (as noted in previous posts in this tread). I said, do you really have to give me an S-2, acting surprised, and they said no problem. 20 minutes later I walked out with a new BB Storm 2, everything transfered over, five months before my upgrade. Darn - I guess I'll just have to "suffer" through and use this until my upgrade time.... :-) Thank you VeriZon!
    10-14-10 02:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD