Will verizon launch the storm 2 with wi-fi? Right now the rumors say that the storm 2 will have wi-fi, but that could all change. We all know how Verizon is with its blackberry phones and wi-fi. Will they change now?

Based on the pictures it doesn't seem like there are any major new features other than the new screen. If they don't add any improvements like wi-fi or memory, I don't think its worth the upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-09 11:53 PM
    Probably not, as vzw wants you to pay them for the service not get it free...just like the GPS system which is still funky on the storm...VZ Navi is just a great option *rolls eyes*...

With the roll out of 4g coming , you won't even have a need for WiFi, that's why im feeling they aren't really looking to incorporate it in their devices.
    05-14-09 11:58 PM
    Probably not, as vzw wants you to pay them for the service not get it free...just like the GPS system which is still funky on the storm...VZ Navi is just a great option *rolls eyes*...

With the roll out of 4g coming , you won't even have a need for WiFi, that's why im feeling they aren't really looking to incorporate it in their devices.
    Even if it does have wifi you would still have to get a data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-09 12:36 AM
    Funny, isn't that what was said about why there is no wi-fi on the 9530? "our 3g network is good enough?" lol
    05-15-09 12:38 AM
    would be a disappointment without wifi, i dont see why they would want to block you from having it. you still pay your monthly fee for an unlimited data plan, but you use there network less. seems like something that would be in there best interest to me. so far all we have are a few pictures of the storm 2, and it looks more or less the same. i am more interested in the specs and actually trying one out to see see what changes have been made. im sure (or hope anyway) that they have learned some lessons from storm 1 and that it will be that much better.
    05-15-09 12:41 AM
    Early rumors had it coming with Wi-Fi and I would hope that those rumors stay true. Just to make everyone happy, and have one thing less to complain about!

Lets all stay positive!
    05-15-09 12:43 AM
    Early rumors had it coming with Wi-Fi and I would hope that those rumors stay true. Just to make everyone happy, and have one thing less to complain about!

Lets all stay positive!
    I will have to agree with you on this.
    05-15-09 12:49 AM
    why would you need WI-FI with an unlimited data plan w/ 4G coming?
    05-15-09 06:23 AM
    I suspect you don't travel much, or at least not to many rural areas. With respect to the current 3G network, the "can you hear me now" dude obviously has not made it everywhere or does not test data connections. I've been in areas on business and pleasure where VZW's data coverage was spotty or non-existent. Sometimes occurs when I'm in large buildings in the city. In these cases, wifi is often available. Would be nice to have wifi on the Storm during the times (albeit rarely) when a data connection is not available. Not a problem for me, just a nuisance. Who knows if 4g will correct this.
    05-15-09 06:40 AM

if they magically snapped there fingers and 4g was EVERYWHERE in the country at once i might agree..
    05-15-09 06:40 AM
    Contrary to popular belief, Verizon has plenty of PDA's that have wifi. The Touch pro, Touch diamond, Samsung i760, Samsung Saga and the Omnia all have it. Its blackberry's that do not and I believe this is more of a request from Waterloo than anything else. Blackberry wants us using either BIS or BES. I do think that the decision to omit wifi on the current Verizon devices was put in place prior to their decision to require data plans with all thier pda's. Now that they force us to pay for the data, they dont care as much about including wifi on thier devices. Further, I think ATT decision to cripple slingplayer on their 3g network is a glimpse of where the phone companies are going. wouldnt suprise me at all if this is the new SOP. Forcing us heavy data users off the network as much as possible by making apps wifi only. By doing this, the data consumption will be mitigated to a large extent.
    05-15-09 06:42 AM
    Why would I need shoes if I never left my house?

Personally, I don't use VZW's data when I'm out of the US. I actually carry an Itouch and grab e-mail and info via WiFi every week from various hotspots in restaurants, bars, libraries, airports etc. Phone + WiFi is a big plus for me as a frequent traveler.
    05-15-09 06:47 AM
    Contrary to popular belief, Verizon has plenty of PDA's that have wifi. The Touch pro, Touch diamond, Samsung i760, Samsung Saga and the Omnia all have it. Its blackberry's that do not and I believe this is more of a request from Waterloo than anything else. Blackberry wants us using either BIS or BES. .
    if by chance the storm two got a similar wifi chipset as the i730 that I used to have, it wouldn't be worth having! I could never get it to connect.... it was pointless. The storm 2 will most likely have wifi. If not, there wouldn't be much else for them to improve on if the GUI is the same and the same basic blackberry apps are installed. More app memory, wifi,a fast camera, and a stable OS would have equaled success for the storm... it would e a shame if they didn't add it.
    05-15-09 07:05 AM
    NO WIFI ON BLACKBERRY DEVICES!
    what is the big deal??!
    05-15-09 07:15 AM
    I think enough people have made their voices heard in favor of wi-fi by that it will be implemented in the storm 2. To me its a nice feature to have but not necessarily a deal breaker for me. With these leaked pictures maybe the storm 2 release will be a lot sooner than later, ie end of the year as opposed to next summer, but who knows. I'd like to see them take their time so that the device does not hit the same snags as the Storm 1
    05-15-09 07:25 AM
    I still think it would be a good idea to include wifi... I mean, there are times where I can get an wireless internet connection but have absolutely appalling service.

At the very least just put a wifi device in there, I don't really care if I need a data plan. I would get one of those anyway, but at least show some good faith and outfit the device with wifi.
    05-15-09 07:27 AM
    VZW had no say in the lack of wifi on the storm. RIM did not equip the storm with wifi because of lack of space for the hardware. This is according to RIM.
    05-15-09 08:21 AM
    Doesnt the 9520 have WiFi?
    05-15-09 08:38 AM
    Ugh, Im so sick of people asking why could anyone possibly need wi-fi?? Not everyone lives in a big city with great coverage thats why. I have terrible EVDO reception in an area where were supposed to have service. Check Verizons coverage map, there isnt service everywhere in this country is there?? Some people actually get out of the house and have to travel and where there isnt coverage there usually is internet and hence wi-fi. Sure it drains my battery but thats why I charge my darn phone nightly, those of you that think wi-fi isnt necessary are only thinking about themselves.
    05-15-09 09:17 AM
    VZW had no say in the lack of wifi on the storm. RIM did not equip the storm with wifi because of lack of space for the hardware. This is according to RIM.
    Yes, RIM has apparently said there was no space. However, there's reports that some pre-release Storms (prototypes) had wifi. Also, like tsman99 said, the 9520 (GSM) has wifi. If true, where does this leave the space argument?
    05-15-09 09:19 AM
    Yes, RIM has apparently said there was no space. However, there's reports that some pre-release Storms (prototypes) had wifi. Also, like tsman99 said, the 9520 (GSM) has wifi. If true, where does this leave the space argument?
    It was said that the 9520 had wi-fi but lacked GPS. Thats where the space argument came from. If I had to choose I would rather have GPS.
    05-15-09 09:26 AM
    Personally, I could care less if there is WiFi. With that being said, if you remember the discussion with RIM's VP in January/February, he admitted that leaving WiFi out was possibly the wrong direction for the Storm. I would bet that the Storm 2 will have WiFi and it will still keep GPS. Also, if you read back in early November, the FCC gave the approval (in the States) for a Storm with Wifi, the prints were published here on Crackberry. With all the talk about the 9520, I'm sure the Storm will be the same. The only question will the Storm 2 be exclusive to Verizon or will it be released to the AT&T and T-Mo.
    05-15-09 09:49 AM
    Wi-Fi is faster than 3G and that's the only reason I want it.

I got no issues with Da Network or anything I just want the option to have a faster connection when a Wi-Fi connection is available.

Not sure why anyone would not want that. Wi-Fi on airplanes is also a big deal for business users.
    Last edited by blaisedinsd; 05-15-09 at 09:54 AM.
    05-15-09 09:52 AM
    I could definitely deal with wifi. I live only 15 miles from the heart of D.C. in fairfax county. I get a 1x signal in my house, and calls get dropped all the time.
    05-15-09 10:30 AM
    Personally, I could care less if there is WiFi.

So....you have some level of care then? How much?

Level of Caring

05-15-09 11:06 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD