It's obvious that the Storm needs some software updates and I am confident that RIM is working hard at fixing alot of the bugs and speed issues and will release an update(s) very soon. The question is, will Verizon push them out in a timley manner once RIM releases them? History shows us that Verizon is the last carrier in the bunch to release updates, if ever. Should we expect the Storm to be any different? Since there are no other carriers of the Storm, (at this time) will the updates get pushed out immediatly after RIM releases them?
    I am dreading to see the day when we know damn well that RIM has an update but Verizon is holding it up, achem...VZW 8830 v4.5?
    11-23-08 01:04 AM
    yes however keep in mind that the carrier also does a second check on security...

The thing about security is its good to have layers... some of the time the delays are due to security holes or problems.. you can't blame them for that... There will be updates im sure but when who knows
    11-23-08 01:07 AM
    I am willing to bet that since the Storm is an exclusive Phone that RIM is collaborating closely with Vodaphone / Verizon. I wouldn't be surprised if the development process is coordinately between the companies.
    11-23-08 01:19 AM
    yes however keep in mind that the carrier also does a second check on security...

The thing about security is its good to have layers... some of the time the delays are due to security holes or problems.. you can't blame them for that... There will be updates im sure but when who knows
    Granted, I do understand this point. The way I see it is what benefit is there, financial or other, for Verizon, or any carrier, to spend alot of time, money or effort on qualifing and approving updates that manufacturers push out? Unless these updates are security related or network performance related, the carrier could care less whether the customer has a few extra creature comforts or capabilites on thier phone. They are still getting your money regardless. If Verizon was concerned that you had the absolute best Storm that you could have, they would have given RIM more time to iron out the bugs, but they didn't because this is all about money, not your user experience.
    11-23-08 01:23 AM
    yes but on another note a bad device = etf fees which ruins there long term money making process..

so updates might not be number 1 but its definetly not on the end of the list..

Customer satisfaction is just as important because people will walk and not use there service...
    11-23-08 01:26 AM
    We can always go to the blackberry web site and download the updates there.
    11-23-08 01:33 AM
    We can always go to the blackberry web site and download the updates there.
    You can download updates directly from your storm there is a section to check for updates..
    11-23-08 02:02 AM
    yah , but idk ... i mean with all the new OS storms comming on the 15th...... i wouldnt doubt they hold out to release the update to us by then.
    11-23-08 02:04 AM
    I've been clicking the check for updates button on my storm constantly lol..
    11-23-08 02:07 AM
    yah me too .. i wouldnt expect anything until the 15th
    11-23-08 02:09 AM
    yah i dont even have a check for updates button lol. mine didnt come with it and i tried the trick to get it and it didnt work for me.

i went into the verizon store asking for an upgrade and they told me to come back next wensday....... so i think it might come out earlyer
    11-23-08 02:13 AM
    I've been clicking the check for updates button on my storm constantly lol..
    Where is the update button/check for updates option on storm??
    11-23-08 02:22 AM
    Verizon is aware of the bad press they are getting. I'm guessing they will try to rush an update out prior to thanksgiving. If they delay much beyond that, I'm sure there is more than a handful of people on the fence who will give up and return the phones. I doubt Verizon wants a high refurb/return rate, especially considering they aren't making that much money on them in the first place.
    11-23-08 03:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD