05-26-09 10:14 PM
42 12
tools
    sounds life dfran just got a bad unit or something. i've had none of the problems he's mentioned. i held onto .113 for over a month and had no issues of it suddenly becoming "bad".

upgrade, you won't regret it. as mentioned earlier, try the straight 148 and then go to one of lyricidal's hybrids. major major major improvement over 75.
    05-26-09 04:29 PM
    All of the newer OS's SEEM to work great at first, but after a few days to a week it works the same or worse than the .75 OS!!!!!
    I have tried them all and last week went back to .75 and it was just as snappy as these leaks for a week!!

So it seems that these phones need their OS's reinstalled every week or they slow down, reboot, crash, dropped calls, etc.........(.75 just slowed down and some dropped calls)

It has to be very very bad programming on BB side, HOPEFULLY some day one comes out that actually works (near perfect) for a month would be nice!!!!

Until then RELOAD it every week (with whatever you choose) or keep .75 to be somewhat happy.

Unless you use the .90 radio code (or stick with .75 OS), the display has color banding so far on every other newer OS than .90, but .90 works best so far but only for a couple of days then (so far) but there might be hope with .90 radio on the .148 (that I am testing now, but does not seem too promising so far) hopefully bbcrackman v6 works as good as people say with the .90 code (I don't have that much of high hopes, but maybe who knows).

I hope this answers your questions better than the "just do it, go for it, etc..." (upgrading will cost lots of time and reading these forums)

!!!!!!!!!!Good luck to what you choose!!!!!!!!
    RE: the part highlighted and bolded...

operator error.

you have some corrupt databases from the restore, or 3rd party apps leeching your resources.

i refer you to this thread, for it shows the awesomeness!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/re...y-leak-235048/
    05-26-09 04:35 PM
    I just installed .148 and came from .75. At first it did not seem much better, but after a short time it became noticeably better. The random reboots no longer exist and when clicking on an app there is no lag and the apps runs smoother and faster. I hardly ever get the spinning clock and when I do its very short. If youre not comfortable with the upgrade, wait a week or 2 for the official release. If it does not come out then turn to the CB nation for help.
    05-26-09 04:50 PM
    RE: the part highlighted and bolded...

operator error.

you have some corrupt databases from the restore, or 3rd party apps leeching your resources.

i refer you to this thread, for it shows the awesomeness!

I will try this out and get back to you on it, can I restore the apps with DM (not the backup file)?
    05-26-09 04:51 PM
    Hello all-
    I too am sick and tired of a slow and faulty phone. I have written Verizon and waited patiently for a new OS to no avail. I am now ready to upgrade a leak but have NO IDEA how to do it! (IT illiterate)
    Would someone tell me where I can find the new .148 to download. Also, how do you back up your old stuff in case something happens to the new OS you download. I also hear people talking about tweaking things on the new OS's and adding hybrids...talk about confusing.

If anyone could oblige me and send me some links or helpful info, it would be greatly appreciated.

From the frustrated Storm customer since 3/3/09!
    05-26-09 04:54 PM
    I will try this out and get back to you on it, can I restore the apps with DM (not the backup file)?
    try it WITHOUT any 3rd party apps/themes for a while. See if it really is the OS, or if it is a software issue to do with other. Not saying that is for sure the case in your particular situation, but it could help narrow down the problem for you
    05-26-09 04:59 PM
    i'd suggest you just make a list and re-install any apps, maybe they were creating the bad directories...

try the phone clean for awhile, just sync contacts and calendar, as needed...don't restore anything. manually change all of the settings, get the phone to where you want it, and give it a good 48 hour exercise, use the **** out of the phone, and see if there is any improvement...
    05-26-09 05:07 PM
    Hello all-
    I too am sick and tired of a slow and faulty phone. I have written Verizon and waited patiently for a new OS to no avail. I am now ready to upgrade a leak but have NO IDEA how to do it! (IT illiterate)
    Would someone tell me where I can find the new .148 to download. Also, how do you back up your old stuff in case something happens to the new OS you download. I also hear people talking about tweaking things on the new OS's and adding hybrids...talk about confusing.

If anyone could oblige me and send me some links or helpful info, it would be greatly appreciated.

From the frustrated Storm customer since 3/3/09!
    the most productive thing you could do is go to the OS subforum, and just read the threads...if you don't understand what something means, feel free to email me. my address is in my signature. but you need to figure it out for yourself...because you're the one who has to do it, and you'll have to fix it if you do it wrong.

trust me, you can't break anything with the DM and loading/unloading software. and i've tried, on 3 separate devices. my friend and I got a case of sam adams, and spent an evening trying to break the phones with software, and NOT be able to fix it. every time, we were able to restore the phone to functioning order with little or no effort at all...just a simple OS install.
    05-26-09 05:09 PM
    I somewhat agree with the fact that the leaked OS's look good at first and then end up about the same as .75 that came with my phone. As for the people that say you have to get rid of the 3rd party apps that leak memory.....why would I get a phone that has the ability to use all of these wonderful apps and then not use them because it slows the phone down. Doesn't make sense.

I also messed around with my buddy's iphone and realized we are light years away from being as quick and productive as that phone. Those people that say their storm works as good as an iPhone with the new OS are crazy. There is a reason my friend had never heard of a "leaked OS".......because he never had to worry about it. He also never heard of checking his "app memory"....because he had 100's of apps on his phone and it worked as good as the 1st day he bought it.

I love my storm....but we have a ways to go.

Just my opinion.
    05-26-09 05:31 PM
    Will upgrading to a leaked OS make a difference??

I little background on our situation...my wife and I have both owned the 9530 for a few months now. I've "upgraded" to a few of the leaked versions and am currently on .148. My wife has stuck with the latest official .75.

I think a few folks are splitting hairs when they rave about the new leaks. Can they be better and make a difference, yes but very little. I've found 132 to be about the "best" of all the leaks, when I say best...I am splitting hairs. It's a little faster, and works a hair better. I havn't tried the hybrids yet.

My wife and I, she's still on .75, will sit side by side going through different sequences, multi tasking...who's faster here or there? Browsing, email, typing, camera, music, downloads, apps...who loads faster, etc..etc... How do our phones run compared? In ABSOLUTE honesty...these leaked builds are not that much better than .75. Not sure on the hybrids though. We swap phones for a few hours, she can play with .148 I dink around on .75, when all is said and done they aren't that much different, at least not in our opinion. The only difference we see is the newer OS are a little faster...and I mean a LITTLE.

When I had .75 I didn't have many issues, since the leaked OS's I have issues, minor but issues non the less. I find .75 to be a little slower but solid besides the battery pulls and the screen of death. This is one thing that has improved for me on .132 and .148, the ones before were definitly not any better than .75.

I'll continue to dink around with leaked versions, I think I do it just to do it. I'm "happy" with the storm, it works...I can do my emails, browse, music, camera...the things I bought it for. So can my wife and she's on .75.

After reading and researching here on CB about all the OS "issues" and the storm in general you won't find my wife upgrading to a leaked version and I don't blame her. Her phone works fine and she likes it as is. I'll continue to dink around with OS, just to do it. I havn't been blown away by any of the leaked versions.

How we use our phones is surely different than others, that said, for us...emails, browsing, typing in broswer, apps, music and camera which is what we use ours for, the leaked versions at least .132 is hair splitting better. If one is expecting..."It's like a different phone"...I don't think so. I will in the next few days downgrade to .132, it was just the most hair splitting consistent.
    05-26-09 05:32 PM
    I agree totally.....no "new phone" here and I'm on my 4th OS.....I do it just to kill time and I like messing around with phone.
    05-26-09 05:36 PM
    +1 for .148

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 05:41 PM
    I think lyricidal's hybrids work great. I havent gone below 39 mb of memory all day and the battery life is better. I would definitely recommend it
    05-26-09 05:42 PM
    I am new at this i need help how do I upgrade my operating system from the standerd stock system?
    05-26-09 05:45 PM
    well i equate the difference in user experience with performance being the 3rd party apps, and i've discovered that the backup/restore function is causing slow phones also. the databases in the restore function are becoming corrupt along the way. so i've been asking people with memory/lag issues to use the security settings to "wipe handheld" and then sync contacts/calendar again, and manually set all of the options, and not use 3rd party apps for about 48 hours, and see if there is a resolution to the issue.

also, it is hard to troubleshoot hybrids, there is no "control" to compare against, and its hard to eliminate variables from the picture.

in my experience, .148 is better than any OS we've all seen so far...

wenty, you should try the fix in this thread, and see what you think. i'd love to hear your feedback...

05-26-09 05:52 PM
    People, "BAD ADVICE" is telling others to do it (without telling them that they will be doing it weekly or more until they think they find something better for their storm), when in fact most of the beta OS's are worse than the original .75 (the .75 that comes pre loaded on the phone is bad and should be reloaded!) but when in fact you reload .75 without the crap (just like any beta OS) it is good for 3-7 days, then starts to fall apart but not as bad.

Then again I think most people just don't use these phone's like I do, I am still waiting (most likely will NEVER HAPPEN) to get my HTML emails to show properly instead of like a jigsaw puzzle!!!!! NOW recently I noticed I have been getting TRUNCATED emails also!!! What gives !!!! Blackberry's are known for emails (at least that is what I hear) then WHY are we having these issues with this DATA (that is what they call it) phone and paying $30 a month for something we can not get!! When the iPhone does it and that has been out for 2+years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When Verizon gets (hopefully) the iPhone, I am there these phones are a waste of time!

I hope some day a good OS happens (my hopes are not high), IF THERE WAS ACTUALLY A GOOD OS (ONE THAT JUST WORKS) VERY FEW WOULD BE TRYING BETAS IN THE FIRST PLACE AND NOT UPGRADING TO THE NEXT BETA!!!!
    .75 is crap compared to the leaks available. And weekly reloads? Putting it mildly, that's ridiculous.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 08:11 PM
    I say, DO IT! When I first got my Storm in January, I was pretty darn frustrated with the issues. Here are a few that I remember off the top of my head:
    - Accelerometer very slow to respond, and sometimes didn't respond
    - Camera glacially slow when trying to take a picture. Huge issue with active kids in the house!
    - I don't believe the media player had playlist capabilities
    - Frequently froze up
    - Periodically re-booted w/out cause or warning

I've tried nearly all of the leaked OS's, and nearly each one has been better than the last. Some of the things that you'll find when you upgrade are:
    - Much faster, more responsive accelerometer! The difference is night & day.
    - Much faster application opening/closing. More like old BB OS's
    - Much faster page loads on the BB Browser.
    - Better camera quality & video quality
    - Copy/paste feature GREATLY improved in the later leaked OS's. The original method sucks.
    - The leaked OS's are much more in line with what I would have expected BB to come out with. Seems like they were really under the gun to get the Storm launched, so they cut lots of corners.

Anyone who's still on either the original OS or .75 is probably considering returning the phone. I know that I did! But I was determined to find solutions and came across the leaked OS's. I've been happy ever since.
    05-26-09 10:14 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD