I'm running the stock os on a storm 9530 which I think is .75 and have just realized that I have the option of upgrading to a higher leaked version. If I upgraded to the latest unofficial OS, would I see a noticeable difference in how well my bb operates? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 03:12 AM
    It would be like getting a new phone. You won't regret it.
    05-26-09 03:13 AM
    Like day and night, just do it!
    05-26-09 05:25 AM
    Its a hugh improvement.
    05-26-09 05:55 AM
    .148 seems to be making everyone happy. You'll love it.

Grey
    05-26-09 07:31 AM
    definite improvement across the board....

and if for some reason you get cold feet and want to go back to .75 (which you won't!) you can go back....
    05-26-09 08:33 AM
    It does wonder to you phone. Just make sure you back up your stuff. Just in case.
    05-26-09 10:51 AM
    Yeah... night and day difference!!

And wademac is correct... you do not have to commit to .148... you can always revert back (AS LONG AS YOU BACKUP BEFORE UPDATING)
    05-26-09 10:53 AM
    .148 is like god gave my phone a golden shower.

I can put it on blind people's eyes and it makes them see again.
    05-26-09 10:56 AM
    All of the newer OS's SEEM to work great at first, but after a few days to a week it works the same or worse than the .75 OS!!!!!
    I have tried them all and last week went back to .75 and it was just as snappy as these leaks for a week!!

So it seems that these phones need their OS's reinstalled every week or they slow down, reboot, crash, dropped calls, etc.........(.75 just slowed down and some dropped calls)

It has to be very very bad programming on BB side, HOPEFULLY some day one comes out that actually works (near perfect) for a month would be nice!!!!

Until then RELOAD it every week (with whatever you choose) or keep .75 to be somewhat happy.

Unless you use the .90 radio code (or stick with .75 OS), the display has color banding so far on every other newer OS than .90, but .90 works best so far but only for a couple of days then (so far) but there might be hope with .90 radio on the .148 (that I am testing now, but does not seem too promising so far) hopefully bbcrackman v6 works as good as people say with the .90 code (I don't have that much of high hopes, but maybe who knows).

I hope this answers your questions better than the "just do it, go for it, etc..." (upgrading will cost lots of time and reading these forums)

!!!!!!!!!!Good luck to what you choose!!!!!!!!
    05-26-09 10:58 AM
    Guys, thanks for the heads up. Here I thought being I just picked up a Storm less than a month ago that I would have the latest and greatest updates, but was I wrong. As soon as I get home tonite I will no doubt do this upgrade. Met a friend at a party over the weekend, and he had already upgraded his and it was no comparison to my version! Even his camera was lightning quick.
    05-26-09 11:00 AM
    YES! Do it
    05-26-09 11:01 AM
    Yea you def need to upgrade, upgrade to a normal leak like .148, read the fourms for awhile and then go for a hybrid, you wont regret it
    05-26-09 11:03 AM
    Yes
    10char
    05-26-09 11:14 AM
    Yeah...do it!
    05-26-09 12:50 PM
    [QUOTE=dfran1;2648843]All of the newer OS's SEEM to work great at first, but after a few days to a week it works the same or worse than the .75 OS!!!!!
    I have tried them all and last week went back to .75 and it was just as snappy as these leaks for a week!!

So it seems that these phones need their OS's reinstalled every week or they slow down, reboot, crash, dropped calls, etc.........(.75 just slowed down and some dropped calls)

It has to be very very bad programming on BB side, HOPEFULLY some day one comes out that actually works (near perfect) for a month would be nice!!!!

Until then RELOAD it every week (with whatever you choose) or keep .75 to be somewhat happy.

Unless you use the .90 radio code (or stick with .75 OS), the display has color banding so far on every other newer OS than .90, but .90 works best so far but only for a couple of days then (so far) but there might be hope with .90 radio on the .148 (that I am testing now, but does not seem too promising so far) hopefully bbcrackman v6 works as good as people say with the .90 code (I don't have that much of high hopes, but maybe who knows).

I hope this answers your questions better than the "just do it, go for it, etc..." (upgrading will cost lots of time and reading these forums)

!!!!!!!!!!Good luck to what you choose!!!!!!!![/QUOTE

In regards to the reply above, I have two words for the OP....BAD ADVICE
    05-26-09 01:45 PM
    I would definitely upgrade. I thought .75 was ok until I upgraded and then I realized just how much it sucked.
    05-26-09 01:52 PM
    Update, and do a couple of battery pulls (via quickpull) i pull my battery once a day when i wake up and have NO problems with the OS slowing down or turning into stone on me. Im running my 9530 with Lyr's .148/5.0 hybrid with my own tweak of the .90 radio. The phone runs awesome!!!! more similar to an iphone then a "regular" storm! have fun an back up your phone. PM me if you have any questions!
    05-26-09 02:16 PM
    Yes update. Make sure you look around on here and find a stable build though.
    05-26-09 02:18 PM

In regards to the reply above, I have two words for the OP....BAD ADVICE
    People, "BAD ADVICE" is telling others to do it (without telling them that they will be doing it weekly or more until they think they find something better for their storm), when in fact most of the beta OS's are worse than the original .75 (the .75 that comes pre loaded on the phone is bad and should be reloaded!) but when in fact you reload .75 without the crap (just like any beta OS) it is good for 3-7 days, then starts to fall apart but not as bad.

Then again I think most people just don't use these phone's like I do, I am still waiting (most likely will NEVER HAPPEN) to get my HTML emails to show properly instead of like a jigsaw puzzle!!!!! NOW recently I noticed I have been getting TRUNCATED emails also!!! What gives !!!! Blackberry's are known for emails (at least that is what I hear) then WHY are we having these issues with this DATA (that is what they call it) phone and paying $30 a month for something we can not get!! When the iPhone does it and that has been out for 2+years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When Verizon gets (hopefully) the iPhone, I am there these phones are a waste of time!

I hope some day a good OS happens (my hopes are not high), IF THERE WAS ACTUALLY A GOOD OS (ONE THAT JUST WORKS) VERY FEW WOULD BE TRYING BETAS IN THE FIRST PLACE AND NOT UPGRADING TO THE NEXT BETA!!!!
    05-26-09 02:22 PM
    Well arent you just a sour storm owner.......
    05-26-09 02:24 PM
    Well arent you just a sour storm owner.......
    Sorry to go on such a rage, but I only want a data phone that works from verizon and can not get one at all! I had a windows mobile phone previously and that actually performed better than this one but only after 8 months of loading modified OS's just like this now (deja vu)
    Blackberry's are supposed to work? But to me they are no better than a WM phone.

But people should be telling others that want to jump on the beta OS bandwagon that they will be loading OS after OS after OS until MAYBE they find one that works. That is all I am trying to say.
    05-26-09 02:47 PM
    To be honest, I can't remember how .75 was. All I know is I'm happier without it.

05-26-09 02:57 PM
    To be honest, I can't remember how .75 was. All I know is I'm happier without it.

That is just what I thought until I loaded .75 back on (without the crap that verizon loads) last week and it worked really good (for a week just like the beta OS's).
    Now after that .75 load, I can not stand the color banding in most of these OS's. I am trying .148 with .90 radio and the .90 seems to be decent, bbcrackman v6 from what I am hearing with the .90 seems to be great, but that is yet to be determined? and how long will it last with the .90 radio?
    05-26-09 03:11 PM

IF THERE WAS ACTUALLY A GOOD OS (ONE THAT JUST WORKS) VERY FEW WOULD BE TRYING BETAS IN THE FIRST PLACE AND NOT UPGRADING TO THE NEXT BETA!!!!
    IMO, this statement isn't true, especially for this website. I have had good luck with the last three leaks, without much issue. Are they perfect? Definitely not, but they are much better than .75, IMO. But I will probably continue to try out leaks. I would bet that the majority of people utilizing leaks, especially on this website, are doing so to use the latest and greatest and will continue to upgrade to leaks well beyond a "good" build, which I believe, again IMO, has been reached with .148.

Also I have never experienced slow downs a week after loading a new OS. The only time I experience slow downs from the baseline speed of each leaked OS, was from memory leaks or filling my phone up with too many apps. If I stopped using apps that killed the memory (weatherbug) or erased unused apps, the speed of the phone actually increase or stayed the same, without having to reload the OS (which I have never done). Have I had to downgrade? Oh course...the leaks through .8x-9x sucked on my phone and I downgraded back to .75. But my phone is leaps and bounds better now on .148, than when I used .75.
    05-26-09 03:14 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD