Not sure if this has been covered... every time I search for this I only get tips on how to increase application memory.

The device memory is 879.2MB but only a small portion is set aside for application memory. Plus with Verizon giving an 8GB memory card, why hasn't a new leaked OS started to expand application memory possibilities into the device memory.
    04-29-09 01:09 PM
    TBH there are many reasons, with security as the biggest one.
    04-29-09 01:19 PM
    But the question is.... will they... are they even considering it.. is it even on the table... just like openGL!!!
    04-29-09 02:05 PM
    But the question is.... will they... are they even considering it.. is it even on the table... just like openGL!!!
    My question is why do they need to consider it? Many people report no problem with their phone with 1mb of app memory.
    04-29-09 02:08 PM
    because people have labeled the storm and are looking at the storm as an "iphone killer" they want apps they want games, they want media... all that requires space.. If you look at it as a traditional corporate minded bb then no you don't need as much.. but if you look at it as a consumer bb that can function in both worlds... then you certainly want space to do and add what you want to it...
    04-29-09 02:12 PM
    My question is why do they need to consider it? Many people report no problem with their phone with 1mb of app memory.
    It should be considered when you would like to add more to your phone and can't due to lack of space. I have a ton of device space that I will never even touch.... so why not use it toward more app memory... just doesn't make much sense to me...
    04-29-09 02:12 PM
    because people have labeled the storm and are looking at the storm as an "iphone killer" they want apps they want games, they want media... all that requires space.. If you look at it as a traditional corporate minded bb then no you don't need as much.. but if you look at it as a consumer bb that can function in both worlds... then you certainly want space to do and add what you want to it...
    exactly... now that BB has made the turn into trying to appeal to more than just corporate minded people... they should look into this...
    04-29-09 02:15 PM
    I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I believe the Storm has 128mb of app memory. 1mb would not get you very far.
    04-29-09 02:16 PM
    exactly... now that BB has made the turn into trying to appeal to more than just corporate minded people... they should look into this...
    Quoted for truth.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-09 02:17 PM
    raidioguinea is right. There is a security question and one of system relaibility.

The security question is simply that if RIM keeps all the apps in Device Memory then it is hard to access that piece of memory.

The reliability question relates to having running app on a removable mediia card. What will the phone do if you remove the card while the app is running?

The rest of the memory is there as secure data storage but you can access that via Mass Media Mode so it ain't secure.

I cannot see this ever changing with the current RIM OSs.
    04-29-09 02:20 PM
    I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I believe the Storm has 128mb of app memory. 1mb would not get you very far.
    Whoa, I've never seen that kind of app memory. I top out around 52 and from what I've seen around here that's awful darn good.

If you're getting that kind of memory kindly send a pic. And yes, credible people have reported no problem running the Storm with as low as 1mb off app memory.
    04-29-09 02:24 PM
    Okay, I'll answer this one again. This is a hardware issue, not a software issue. I have yet to see any phone sized device use more than 128mb for app memory...that includes Windows Mobile and iPhone. The problem is that you're talking about two different kinds of memory...static and dynamic RAM. Applications run in dynamic RAM which has much higher access speeds but which also consume more power and must be kept powered constantly. Static RAM is used for storage and only needs power when accessed but is too slow to cute code.

Hence, if you increase app memory you decrease battery life...in a phone it would decrease your standby time greatly as refreshing DRAM and running background apps to monitor radio and interface inputs is the major drain.

Barring a breakthrough in battery tech or DRAM power usage, don't expect app memory increases without battery and device size increases.
    04-29-09 02:26 PM
    Good thing Civic isn't awake to see this!

I would love the have more app memory but if it is going to cause security problems then it isn't worth it. The best idea is for RIM to just expand the amount of memory allotted
    04-29-09 02:29 PM
    raidioguinea is right. There is a security question and one of system relaibility.

The security question is simply that if RIM keeps all the apps in Device Memory then it is hard to access that piece of memory.

The reliability question relates to having running app on a removable mediia card. What will the phone do if you remove the card while the app is running?

The rest of the memory is there as secure data storage but you can access that via Mass Media Mode so it ain't secure.

I cannot see this ever changing with the current RIM OSs.
    Couldn't RIM partition MORE space for applications though?
    04-29-09 02:32 PM
    Good thing Civic isn't awake to see this!

I would love the have more app memory but if it is going to cause security problems then it isn't worth it. The best idea is for RIM to just expand the amount of memory allotted
    That is all I want as well... to increase the amount of app memory partitioned. I should have probably worded the thread slightly different to avoid the security risks... because increasing the partitioning should not cause this. I am aware of the the battery life effects too, but that is why I ALWAYS buy the extended batteries because every phone I have ever had I burn through batteries fairly quick...
    Last edited by Seel; 04-29-09 at 02:41 PM.
    04-29-09 02:33 PM
    I hate to compare it to the iphone, but it has 8/16 gb of memory which runs fine. Its battery life is fine as well. I am sure it has a decent security. If a person needs any more than a decent amount needs it for high business reasons really.

04-29-09 02:42 PM
    Couldn't RIM partition MORE space for applications though?
    I expect they could. I would also like to know why they do not just put loads more in to begin with. The best, most reliable phone that RIM make is the 8900 and that has 256Mb memory. Why do they not just put in 512Mb or as much as the CPU can address.
    04-29-09 02:46 PM
    I couldn't agree more. All that wasted space in device memory. I always have to choose between performance and not having too many apps and themes installed.

04-29-09 02:50 PM
    I expect they could. I would also like to know why they do not just put loads more in to begin with. The best, most reliable phone that RIM make is the 8900 and that has 256Mb memory. Why do they not just put in 512Mb or as much as the CPU can address.
    see thats my problem, one of my main issues with the Storm is that its limited to 128MB, which means the phone will never EVER be able to handle any program thats robust enough to put the phone through its paces.

With RIM pushing the Storm hard as a consumer media device this is such a terrible oversight, but could be fixed thru a simple repartition
    04-29-09 02:56 PM
    I'm slightly confused.. I'm an old computer guy so someone could maybe explain this to me.. the appliation memory we're all complaining about is equal to RAM.. but why is it that the apps live there instead of on the "hard drive" or internal storage or media card...

It doesn't make sense to me.. this phone is more powerfull than my first computer yet I could install larger programs on my computer and that was smart enough to load only what was needed into RAM and access the rest via the hard drive...

am I just completely wrong on all of this?
    04-29-09 02:58 PM
    The memory is slighly bemusing I get asked the question all the time about why Apps cant be used from the memory card.

RevGreg is spot on in his reply!

--
    04-29-09 02:59 PM
    Could a repartition be done in a hybrid OS or only an OS put out by RIM?
    04-29-09 02:59 PM
    The memory is slighly bemusing I get asked the question all the time about why Apps cant be used from the memory card.

RevGreg is spot on in his reply!

--
    Well why we can't use apps from the memory card, I can understand that because if you pull out the card while an app is running... that could spell bad news
    04-29-09 03:03 PM
    What RIM refuses to address is that the OS could be modified to allow third party apps to be installed in the more than adequate 1GB of device memory without any alleged "security" issues.

It would require a ground-up rewrite of the operating system to include some sort of program registry ala WinMo. The registry, too, could be stored on the device memory and accessed through an ini file.

Combine a well-thought out storage method with an adequate ROM (256 or 512) and the phone would fly. Unfortunately, in my experience, RIM reps would rather come up with excuses and blame carriers. It still befuddles me that the flagship phone RIM produces comes with an antiquated 128MB ROM chip.
    04-29-09 03:20 PM
    Also, could someone from RIM please explain how an unauthorized person being able to access 3rd party programs via Mass Storage mode creates a security issue?

I can understand why contacts, emails, etc could, but not third party apps...
    04-29-09 03:22 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD