I was just wondering with the Blackberry 6 being capacitive touchscreen able, (typing in text) will future of surepress be coming to an end sometime in the near future.
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 04-27-10 at 07:47 PM.
    04-27-10 04:51 PM
    Edit the title! You said SureType, not SurePress!

I think it was a nice experiment (I haven't tried it tho I would love to) but I agree with you, seeing what BlackBerry 6 is looking like, I don't think future tactile devices will include this technology.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-10 05:00 PM
    thanks a lot i changed it
    04-27-10 05:02 PM
    Doubt it. RIM has spent a lot on R&D to make SurePress, and so far, I doubt the investment has paid off. It's entirely possible that they'll rework it, though. I remember seeing a patent from RIM for some cool combo resistive/capacitive hybrid screen.
    04-27-10 05:06 PM
    The Storm always had a capacitive touchscreen.
    04-27-10 05:11 PM
    The Storm always had a capacitive touchscreen.
    The question was do you think surepress will be scrapped though?

04-27-10 06:03 PM
    The question was do you think surepress will be scrapped though?

Well, no, considering your reasoning was invalid. SurePress was designed as a replacement to the Trackball/pad driven aspect of the user interface. As long as qwerty BlackBerrys remain the standard, I don't see RIM scrapping SurePress and redesigning the UI just to accommodate one series out of many.

Besides, either Jimmy or Mike has said in the past that SurePress is "here to stay".
    04-27-10 06:07 PM
    How was my reasoning invalid?

04-27-10 06:19 PM
    To my knowledge 5.0 and below weren't able to input information ie typing and what not, because it was built on keys having to be pressed (tactile technology I believe its called). But 6.0 is actually built to allow just capacitive touch. So now you can input information without pressing down on the screen. I don't see how my reasoning was invalid.

04-27-10 06:39 PM
    You can already input information without pressing down on the screen… Ever tried "tap and hold"? It's how you can gain access to characters like this™. In OS6, tapping and holding allows for the pop up menu.

Basically, your reasoning is that OS6 is built to allow capacitive touch, but the Storm has always functioned with capacitive technology. Hence why your reasoning is invalid.

04-27-10 07:11 PM
    i really hope it is. thats what turned me away from the storms in the beginning. if surepress is gonna be gone, the storm2 has me sold
    04-27-10 07:14 PM
    Damn I love surepress. Capacitive is cool too but the click has always been cool. Definatly a lot more smooth on the Storm 2. If anything they can make a feature where you can lock the click or allow it. Like when the storm 2 is powered down. You can't click until it powers up. Look forward to seeing options in advanced menu's. "lock surepress?" or "activate/deactivate capacitive?" makes sense. But who knows.

04-27-10 07:38 PM
    You can already input information without pressing down on the screen… Ever tried "tap and hold"? It's how you can gain access to characters like this™. In OS6, tapping and holding allows for the pop up menu.

Basically, your reasoning is that OS6 is built to allow capacitive touch, but the Storm has always functioned with capacitive technology. Hence why your reasoning is invalid.

ok this is just you being difficult. I'm sure you understand what i mean. OS 6.0 will allow you to type as in messeges. you can type on the 5.0 builds and prior without pressing down on the screen. touching and holding and all this your explaining i guess is just so you can be right or something. You can be right 5.0 and prior has capacitive capability but it does not have the capability to allow users to type in text as 6.0 does. My reasoning is just that 6. allows you to type in text, and capacitive capabilites are less limited then 5.0 and prior. You seem to have assumed you knew what my reasoning was without me even stating it, please don't assume to know what im thinking this is my reasoning for why surepress may be scrapped, and i don't believe thats an invalid reason, maybe you do but no one else seems to think so.

and look i edited it for you so we can stop argueing over silly stuff like this and get back to the question the thread is based on
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 04-27-10 at 07:48 PM.
    04-27-10 07:42 PM
    i really hope it is. thats what turned me away from the storms in the beginning. if surepress is gonna be gone, the storm2 has me sold
    yea im sure more average consumers will be back on the blackberry platform if surepress is scrapped as well.
    04-27-10 07:44 PM
    I hope not, or at least maybe with the new Os coming we could have the option of either one.

04-27-10 08:34 PM
    Maybe, to turn it on or off, but I don't think RIM would do that.

04-28-10 02:15 AM
    I hope they keep it the way it is. It's the main thing separating the storm series from all the other touch screen phones. It's also the main reason I got the thing. I HATE tapping on glass with no feedback at all. Feels cold and distant. I want to feel like I'm actually interacting with the hardware.

It also allows for much more versatile operation. Opera mini is fast, but the lack of click confirmation means a loooot of times you press the wrong link, and it means they had to implement "tap and hold" for context menus. LAME. I really wish they would man up and enable click. There are plenty of other phones out there for people who enjoy tapping on glass
    Last edited by kinggeoff; 04-28-10 at 04:59 PM.
    04-28-10 04:56 PM
    I waited in front of Verizon on day one of the Storm1 and was willing to walk away if the click screen was to wierd. I was in line and they passed a phone around(to kill time for all of us waiting) and i thought is was awesome.

I hope they keep it because its such a cool feature to have. If you know how to use it you love it.
    04-28-10 05:46 PM
    Yea it would be disappointing for those that are big fans of surepress to see it go if it ever really does
    04-29-10 06:55 PM
    I love the SurePress. It is what makes the BB touchscreen so much better than any other touchscreen. Likely if BB walks away from the best touchscreen technology, I would be so much more likely to buy a non-BB phone.

I hope they know better.
    05-02-10 03:17 PM
    Just making sure you guys understand that a capacative screen is what allows surepress to work as well as it does. A resistive screen would have been a big fail.

I see no indications for surepress to go away. Whenever I have my phone on the conference table at a meeting, there is always somebody curious to check out the surepress, and they love how it works with the phone dialer. It just feels natural.
    05-02-10 04:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD