Obviously we storm2 owners got snubbed on OS 6. Do you think we will get webkit? Will that be enough for you?
    09-03-10 12:54 PM
    NOPE......NO WEBKIT.........CANT BE EXTRACTED FROM THE os, SO IT IS ABSOLUTLEY IMPOSSIBLE

RIM today took the wraps off BlackBerry 6, its newest operating system for BlackBerry smartphones. The new system will debut on the just-announced BlackBerry Torch, but will also come to current BlackBerry Bold 9700, Bold 9650 and Pearl 3G handsets within the next few months. The new OS features a redesigned interface, expanded messaging to accomodate more social networking features and RSS feeds, and RIM's new Universal Search tool. The OS updates the BlackBerry browser with a new Webkit-based app. The new OS changes the familiar BlackBerry design with new Action Menus that are context sensitive, as well as a new multitasking menu. Text messaging has been updated to support a threaded messaging format. The OS also incorporates new multimedia features, which will synchronize BlackBerry devices with a desktop using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6. New BlackBerry devices will be able to synchronize with existing iTunes or Windows Media libraries over Wi-Fi.
    09-03-10 12:58 PM
    psst... check this link out I think you will like it. It was something different that they came up with for the browser...

09-03-10 01:09 PM
    psst... check this link out I think you will like it. It was something different that they came up with for the browser...

RickROLL'D!!!!!!!

Great!
    09-03-10 02:06 PM

Haha, awesome. Totally not warranted but still funny.

I see no reason why RIM can't separately develop a browser, are they that code-challenged or is it really that difficult? I agree with it not being extractable from OS6 if it wasn't designed to stand alone; but then, why didn't they develop it to stand alone for owners that can't run OS6?
    (sigh) This has been beaten to death already and yet I reply anyway. Eternally hopeful, I suppose.
    09-03-10 02:08 PM
    Haha, awesome. Totally not warranted but still funny.

I see no reason why RIM can't separately develop a browser, are they that code-challenged or is it really that difficult? I agree with it not being extractable from OS6 if it wasn't designed to stand alone; but then, why didn't they develop it to stand alone for owners that can't run OS6?
    (sigh) This has been beaten to death already and yet I reply anyway. Eternally hopeful, I suppose.
    I think RIM could develop a better browser for us, but it's looking like they won't. I suspect they are taking the hard headed screw you approach of "if you want a decent browser you will give us more money for an OS6 device!"

But who knows, maybe they are secretly working on something. Hahaha, never mind, it's RIM we're talking about!
    09-03-10 03:01 PM
    yeah i agree with that...dont see why they cant do that, but maybe thats not the case. they prolly want u guys to drop yur S2 and spend the money for the S3 refresh (if there is one ((RUMORED))
    09-03-10 03:15 PM
    Obviously we storm2 owners got snubbed on OS 6. Do you think we will get webkit? Will that be enough for you?
    The S2 already got a webkit. Its called Android.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-10 03:17 PM
    The S2 already got a webkit. Its called Android.

smartass! (How do you make a VW go 140 mph? Tow it behind a Maserati.)
    09-03-10 03:19 PM
    smartass! (How do you make a VW go 140 mph? Tow it behind a Maserati.)
    LOL!! Post of the day!
    09-05-10 09:08 AM
    This just bugs me mostly because I bought my S2 right after it was released. But less than year later they have apparently decided to shelve it and those of us that got suckered...I mean bought it are stuck. When my account allows for an upgrade next year, I may jump ship and got w/ a Droid.

09-05-10 08:33 PM
    I'm waiting till the end of my contract, then ill think about the incredible or Samsung's droid

09-05-10 08:50 PM
    I dropped my Storm when I fell off my dinosaur, it broke, then I hopped in my Delorium, set the timer to 2010, and stopped at the local Verizon store and bought an incredible.
    09-05-10 10:16 PM
    This just bugs me mostly because I bought my S2 right after it was released. But less than year later they have apparently decided to shelve it and those of us that got suckered...I mean bought it are stuck. When my account allows for an upgrade next year, I may jump ship and got w/ a Droid.

I just can't understand these posts (and I've seen way too many...) Let's think Apple for a second, the coveted iPhone and company that nobody can talk bad about. Now let me preface by saying I'm hardly an Apple fanboy, I use a Windows XP PC, have a S2, have an HP desktop, etc. The only Apple thing I own is an iPod touch 2G.

Okay, so on with my rant...companies such as Apple and RIM are out to make money...They don't want your vag's, they want to stick the big fat one up your *** when it comes to them making money...

Apple EOL'd production of the first iPhone after a year when the 3G came out (nobody complained)...
    Apple EOL'd production of the 3G after another year when the 3GS came out (nobody complained still)...
    Apple EOL'd production of the 3GS when the .... Are we starting to notice a pattern here?

Yes, Apple still has legacy support for their older devices with iOS4, but some of the features aren't available (yes RIM should have just a webkit upgrade, I'm not saying I wouldn't love to see that BUUUUT....) Plus the OS runs like absolute crapola on the 1st Gen, and 3G (and both 1st and 2nd gen iPod touches...)

It's just what companies do to make money...It ended up being **** for RIM because the S2 being EOL'd after a year and NOT BEING ABLE TO SUPPORT OS6 (note that I didn't say they dropped us and didn't try) is going to screw them...I say F*CK IT! I've bought more expensive phones that did less...I never buy into a phone thinking of what it WILL DO IN THE FUTURE, but what it WILL DO AT THE MOMENT!!! Use that logic and you'll never be disappointed...

While this rant was pretty much all over the place I'm tired of seeing "RIM screwed us", "RIM owes us", "I'm jumping to Android", "It's iPhone for me"............

GOOD RIDDANCE!!!
    Go try the other brands, you'll be back...

And for all of those who don't agree I'll just :facepalm: now to take care of you...
    09-05-10 11:12 PM
    I dropped my Storm when I fell off my dinosaur, it broke, then I hopped in my Delorium, set the timer to 2010, and stopped at the local Verizon store and bought an incredible.
    It's DeLorean ... If you're going to make fun, please do so appropriately. Thank you, come again.
    09-05-10 11:14 PM
    I just can't understand these posts (and I've seen way too many...) Let's think Apple for a second, the coveted iPhone and company that nobody can talk bad about. Now let me preface by saying I'm hardly an Apple fanboy, I use a Windows XP PC, have a S2, have an HP desktop, etc. The only Apple thing I own is an iPod touch 2G.

Okay, so on with my rant...companies such as Apple and RIM are out to make money...They don't want your vag's, they want to stick the big fat one up your *** when it comes to them making money...

Apple EOL'd production of the first iPhone after a year when the 3G came out (nobody complained)...
    Apple EOL'd production of the 3G after another year when the 3GS came out (nobody complained still)...
    Apple EOL'd production of the 3GS when the .... Are we starting to notice a pattern here?

Yes, Apple still has legacy support for their older devices with iOS4, but some of the features aren't available (yes RIM should have just a webkit upgrade, I'm not saying I wouldn't love to see that BUUUUT....) Plus the OS runs like absolute crapola on the 1st Gen, and 3G (and both 1st and 2nd gen iPod touches...)

It's just what companies do to make money...It ended up being **** for RIM because the S2 being EOL'd after a year and NOT BEING ABLE TO SUPPORT OS6 (note that I didn't say they dropped us and didn't try) is going to screw them...I say F*CK IT! I've bought more expensive phones that did less...I never buy into a phone thinking of what it WILL DO IN THE FUTURE, but what it WILL DO AT THE MOMENT!!! Use that logic and you'll never be disappointed...

While this rant was pretty much all over the place I'm tired of seeing "RIM screwed us", "RIM owes us", "I'm jumping to Android", "It's iPhone for me"............

GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

And for all of those who don't agree I'll just :facepalm: now to take care of you...
    I think perhaps you missed something integral - the S2 has been EOL'd after nine months. Yes there's other devices that were EOL'd at the same time, like the original Droid. Difference is they have real replacements, not insubstantiated rumors of a device that doesn't even have a code name.
    09-05-10 11:22 PM
    I think perhaps you missed something integral - the S2 has been EOL'd after nine months. Yes there's other devices that were EOL'd at the same time, like the original Droid. Difference is they have real replacements, not insubstantiated rumors of a device that doesn't even have a code name.
    Blackberry Storm 3 – Early Specs � Salomondrin

I can't remember the last time Sal was wrong about an unreleased phone. My guess is secrecy due to Verizon's LTE network as the article states. They can't release an LTE phone until the LTE network is tested... RIM is smart enough not to release a phone that is LTE capable before testing is possible in major areas...

Soooooo S2R upcoming, and S3 early next year. They don't need "code names" for me to believe they're probable phones. Like I said...

:facepalm:
    Last edited by xxcatcher16xx; 09-05-10 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Additions
    09-05-10 11:27 PM
    Blackberry Storm 3 � Early Specs � Salomondrin

I can't remember the last time Sal was wrong about an unreleased phone. My guess is secrecy due to Verizon's LTE network as the article states. They can't release an LTE phone until the LTE network is tested...

Soooooo S2R upcoming, and S3 early next year. They don't need "code names" for me to believe they're probable phones. Like I said...

:facepalm:
    I've not seen Sal fail before either, he's always gotten good info. The point I was making was in your earlier post you said the S2 was discontinued after one year, and that would be incorrect (unless it was an oversight). And what I said in my last post still stands - the S2 doesn't have a definite solidly confirmed replacement of any kind while others do. Moto Droid - Droid Pro/Droid2 being prime example as it launched about the same time and EOL'd at the same time.
    09-05-10 11:35 PM
    You are correct, point still made.
    09-05-10 11:37 PM

GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.......

I can assure you that this longtime Blackberry owner will not be coming back, not unless RISM can actually squeeze out some imagination for OS 7 but somehow I doubt it.

Oh an your app list is might impressive, I have that many apps loaded onto my SD card to go along with an equal number that are not.

so again....

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.......
    09-06-10 12:12 AM
    This may have already been said before, but just in case I'm going to throw it in anyways. My thoughts are that the storm3 (not the odin-refresh the next one) that is supposedly having a unique new OS different from OS6 will have webkit. RIM put alot of emphasis on the pinch zoom and the general ease of webkit on the torch, so why is it the only touch screen to get it? I also hope that the new stormOS will be backward compatible. Because really, storm2 is barely a year old. Are they were really that stupid to alienate a percentage of their customer base? only time will tell
    09-07-10 10:53 AM
    This may have already been said before, but just in case I'm going to throw it in anyways. My thoughts are that the storm3 (not the odin-refresh the next one) that is supposedly having a unique new OS different from OS6 will have webkit. RIM put alot of emphasis on the pinch zoom and the general ease of webkit on the torch, so why is it the only touch screen to get it? I also hope that the new stormOS will be backward compatible. Because really, storm2 is barely a year old. Are they were really that stupid to alienate a percentage of their customer base? only time will tell
    What blows my mind too (and what our American neighbours to the south keep forgetting) is that Bell Canada, the Canadian equivalent to verizon, launched the S2 in April.

Bell to release BlackBerry Storm2 on April 13th � Boy Genius Report

This means that bell users that adopted the phone on day one have only had it for 5 months. To me this is an even bigger slap in the face.

Do you all think that 5 months is reasonably long enough to EOL a device? Or be content that it wont receive OS6?

I'd be furious.
    09-07-10 12:26 PM
    What blows my mind too (and what our American neighbours to the south keep forgetting) is that Bell Canada, the Canadian equivalent to verizon, launched the S2 in April.

Bell to release BlackBerry Storm2 on April 13th � Boy Genius Report

This means that bell users that adopted the phone on day one have only had it for 5 months. To me this is an even bigger slap in the face.

Do you all think that 5 months is reasonably long enough to EOL a device? Or be content that it wont receive OS6?

I'd be furious.
    My local carrier is too small to get the newly released phones. They got the S2 in July and I was one of the first ones to get it.
    I'm fine with what the S2 can do.
    09-08-10 07:37 PM
    Even Telus only launched it in December.

09-08-10 08:10 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with what it can do too. It's what it could be doing that bothers me. From what I understand the lack of flash memory isn't whats keeping storm2 from getting OS6 its the way the processor interacts with the software(or something to that effect, a techy friend explained it to me that way) So with the refresh getting 512 flash instead of the 256 thats on the s2, doesn't really matter. Give it 2gb of flash and it's still not going to run OS6. You just have more room for apps.
    And yes telus did release it in december, and I realize that in today's tech world 9 months is a long time, but come on... they had to have been working on OS6 at that point. They knew what they were doing.
    And bell only getting s2 in april??!! highway robbery. I'd be pissed.
    09-08-10 09:59 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD