05-13-09 11:56 PM
56 123
tools
    This is not a bash session....my last phone was a
    LG flip...solid little phone took a beating and barely
    Lasted my two year contract...by the end the battery
    Was glued on and the charger had to be just right...
    I don't think my storm will make it, I have insurance
    So 50 bucks will get me a new one, but does anyone
    Feel the storm can handle 2 two years of normal use?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-09 12:19 AM
    If you take care of it sure, if not then no.
    I second that !!
    05-13-09 12:32 AM
    I think it will last .... As long as u don't abuse the crap out of it.....

05-13-09 12:34 AM
    I second that !!
    Ok so apparently nothing unforeseen ever went wrong with something you took care
    Of? And what does take care of it mean? I keep mine in my pants pocket... Is that
    Taking care of it enough to last two years?

05-13-09 12:38 AM
    Its a legitimate issue! I agree with the guy who said to make sure to take care of it!

05-13-09 12:40 AM
    I don't care how well you take care of it I doubt anyone can make a storm last two years. Many people have had 6 already since it came out.

05-13-09 12:43 AM
    I think that the housing and the screen are solid its the space around the screen that bothers me.
    I am just waiting to get something wedged in it.

05-13-09 12:45 AM
    I find that the more capable a device is the more I focus on caring for it...my last phone was a Samsung Alias...great texting phone but that all I did with it and before my 2 years was up I had gone through 4 of them due to use and abuse. My BB is a different story though, I find myself doing everything to keep this thing looking and running like new. honestly it all comes down to how much you value the things you buy, take care of them and they will last
    05-13-09 12:49 AM
    I find that the more capable a device is the more I focus on caring for it...my last phone was a Samsung Alias...great texting phone but that all I did with it and before my 2 years was up I had gone through 4 of them due to use and abuse. My BB is a different story though, I find myself doing everything to keep this thing looking and running like new. honestly it all comes down to how much you value the things you buy, take care of them and they will last
    I agree with this 100%, but then there is a side of me that's wants to see what
    It can take...I remember a thread about a guy who dropped his in the toilet and it still
    Worked...I wonder what the long term was on that.

05-13-09 12:56 AM
    With a good case and screen protector, yes it will last 2 years.

My wife (who is tough on devices - see: RAZR looked like it went to heck and back after 2 years) had the Storm in a standard flimsy silicone case, but switched to the Seidio Innocase 2 a couple of weeks ago.

After 6 months you can only see the slightest wear in unprotected areas.

No degradation of screen click or buttons.
    05-13-09 01:13 AM
    I personally do not think it will because the click screen is a piece of crap.

05-13-09 01:16 AM
    Unforseen things have happened to items I took care of. Those unforseen things always involved my cats.

My 360, for example, never Red-Ringed. Once. Ever. But the cats had their fun with the video port. :P
    05-13-09 01:21 AM
    my curve is about to be a year old soon, and it's falling apart...idk if the storm will make 2 years, maybe "lose it" around 12 months if its lookin' rough?
    05-13-09 01:48 AM
    Wow, I guess I was lucky. My Samsung Alias was still working perfectly at 20 months and I really did beat the isht out of it. Most durable phone I've ever had.

And I do think the Storm is capable of lasting for two years barring any major impacts or severe abuse.

05-13-09 02:36 AM
    nope! i think it would start acting funky after 6 months at most 8. i say this because of the touch screen design... ive seen that to work on the phone, the touch or pressing on the phone, one would have to apply a certain pressure... not cool. such a bad design flaw, better off bitting the iphone tech.

i know someone who i've told this and its happened where he had to replace his phone after 7 months of owning that garbage... one would wonder why or how i know? lol i used to work for a supplier and did crap work taking apart phones plus recently i worked for at&t [all talk & torcher]

i think the bold 9000 and the curve 8900 is the only great phone worth getting for the time being. 8300 the all time champion* lol
    05-13-09 02:45 AM
    i personally think every phone will last 2 years+ if you take care of it.
    05-13-09 02:58 AM
    I had a Motorola Q before my storm, and I used my two insurance claims on the Q (center button failed on both). So I agree, its a valid concern. I bet the single switch behind the screen fails before 2 years of heavy usage (thanks dmglakewood for stormslots!). Look up this thread in 2 years
    05-13-09 04:08 AM
    nope! i think it would start acting funky after 6 months at most 8. i say this because of the touch screen design... ive seen that to work on the phone, the touch or pressing on the phone, one would have to apply a certain pressure... not cool. such a bad design flaw, better off bitting the iphone tech.

i know someone who i've told this and its happened where he had to replace his phone after 7 months of owning that garbage... one would wonder why or how i know? lol i used to work for a supplier and did crap work taking apart phones plus recently i worked for at&t [all talk & torcher]

i think the bold 9000 and the curve 8900 is the only great phone worth getting for the time being. 8300 the all time champion* lol
    I've had mine for six months. So you're telling me that in two more months my phone will fail? Interesting.
    05-13-09 04:12 AM
    If you take care of it sure, if not then no.
    simple and well said..
    05-13-09 04:13 AM
    Mines in the same condition it was when I got it 3 months ago, I just take care of it. yes, it has the bumps and bends it gets from a jean pocket, or when you get into the car (i tend to smash my between my leg and the steering wheel often )
    But it should last, like anything does when it is looked after _properly_.
    05-13-09 05:25 AM
    I guess that my biggest concern would be the action on the screen, how much longer will it keep
    Bouncing back...and how much crud is getting stuck in between it and the
    Housing?

05-13-09 10:57 AM
    I guess that my biggest concern would be the action on the screen, how much longer will it keep
    Housing?

After having 1 replaced within the 30days for not clicking on the top/middle and bottom/middle, I worry how long any can last. decided to get an exchange and will keep forcing vzw to do that if it keeps happening.
    05-13-09 11:45 AM
    isn't this why they make the annual upgrades!!1 lol.
    05-13-09 11:57 AM
    I believe it CAN make 2 years. However taking utmost care of your device will be the story here. I hope mine lasts. I have a great screen protector that cost me 23$, I keep it in its pouch on a daily basis and I TRY to be as careful as possible. Do I have a chance at breaking it? Sure do, but I hope it lasts until I see fit to get a new phone or upgrade.
    05-13-09 12:08 PM
    Housing?

This would be my only concern about it lasting 2 years...everytime there is a mechanical movement there is wear and tear no matter now much you baby the item. It is designed to click, but how many clicks can we get? I hope it lasts 2 years because I can't afford to buy a new one every year! I have a Pearl now and it is approaching 1-1/2 years and the trackball does stick sometimes.
    05-13-09 12:21 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD