I really think I'm having an issue with my screen. The screen feels different to click from one portrait view to the other flipped.

I took in into verizon and three people played with it and said it was fine..nothing they can do and never heard of this issue before
    Is this the click issue others are seeing? Are your screens very loose (enough to get a CC in there)? I just feel the digg and the bastards at verizon just blew me off like I was ********....
    Any suggestions?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 12:05 AM
    Call VZW Customer Service and get a replacement. Stand up for yourself, don't take any of their ish, and get yourself a new phone. If you think your screen is messed up, it probably is. It's not like they are going to troubleshoot your click issue.
    01-06-09 12:14 AM
    That's what I plan to do again... I called the 800 number yesterday and the lady I talked to said she never heard of this issue and called a tech in my town for me to bring it to.... So, I didn't get gar on the tele

01-06-09 12:20 AM
    I might be totally crazy, but I just got a replacement storm with one of these click problems . Ironically I like the screen with less click travel, because for some reason I can type on it much faster than on the one with loud click and large amount of rebound. I also like that there is less noise while typing. My last storm was replaced because of dust inside of display.

01-06-09 12:58 AM
    01-06-09 05:54 AM
    I found the torx screw method referenced above to be very helpful. Made all the difference in the world on my screen.
    01-06-09 07:04 AM
    Thanks! I'll take a peek at the link. Honestly I'd rather fix it if it is something simple. No use in returning something that isn't truely broken.
    01-06-09 08:00 AM
    I only returned my Storm because the click issue was becoming worse over time. I tried the torx screw adjustment and before that, I tried the business card trick. When typing in the lower left hand corner, I had to press in VERY hard. I did not want to damage the unit, so I took it to my local corporate Verizon store. They ordered a replacement for me with really no questions asked.
    01-06-09 08:33 AM
    I think I'm going to have to wait for that to happen. The screen functions correctly, it just feels different depending on the part of the screen you push.
    01-06-09 08:42 AM
    The Torx screw fix will work but over time the problem will return. To really fix the problem you need to understand the root of it. There is no support directly under the PC board that the screen click button is mounted to so the button moves away from the screen, the support that is barely there is made of weak plastic. The Torx screws that were overtightened during assembly bowed the plastic support plus the added pressure that the SIM card spring loaded contacs add pressure to the SIM card (which slides under the support) makes it worse. To really fix this I'd suggest not only loosening the Torx screws a 1/4 turn (no more than that) and adding a felt pad to the battery door right above the sim card, this will give it the support it needs and fix it permanently. See this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/pe...oblems-125406/
    01-06-09 10:14 AM
    The Torx screw fix will work but over time the problem will return. To really fix the problem you need to understand the root of it. There is no support directly under the PC board that the screen click button is mounted to so the button moves away from the screen, the support that is barely there is made of weak plastic. The Torx screws that were overtightened during assembly bowed the plastic support plus the added pressure that the SIM card spring loaded contacs add pressure to the SIM card (which slides under the support) makes it worse. To really fix this I'd suggest not only loosening the Torx screws a 1/4 turn (no more than that) and adding a felt pad to the battery door right above the sim card, this will give it the support it needs and fix it permanently. See this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/pe...oblems-125406/

I posted this before.

I have found no evidence of this happening yet, not to say it you couldn't be right in the future. but you state it as fact. When you torx the screws properly(meaning not to loose,), there is still quite a bit of tension to them. I have done numerous friends/coworkers phones as well as mine, an I marked each screw points to see for later checking. I checked five yesterday including mine, which I have been greatly texting for a month, and none of the points have move at all.

If the screws do come loose for some people, a tiny amount of teflon tape would solve this.
    01-06-09 10:46 AM
    I posted this before.

I have found no evidence of this happening yet, not to say it you couldn't be right in the future. but you state it as fact. When you torx the screws properly(meaning not to loose,), there is still quite a bit of tension to them. I have done numerous friends/coworkers phones as well as mine, an I marked each screw points to see for later checking. I checked five yesterday including mine, which I have been greatly texting for a month, and none of the points have move at all.

If the screws do come loose for some people, a tiny amount of teflon tape would solve this.
    I didn't say that the screws would come loose I said that the main problem, which is the support area for the PC board that has the screen click, is not being addressed. The Torx screws being on tight the way they are out of the box puts more tension in this area causing the problem to be more pronounced. Loosening the screws relaxes it and makes it better but it doesn’t address the main problem, there is no support in that area that has a lot of tension on it. Between the spring loaded pins for the SIM card that puts pressure on the SIM card and the force from clicking the screen pushing it in the same direction, there is no adequate support to counteract it. That's why the paper trick works on the battery, that's why the felt trick works. Loosening the screws alleviates the pressure but still does not add support to counteract that pressure.

Some people have stated that loosening the screws helped a lot but that after a few weeks the click problem started to appear again. Why some are still having the problem after the screws are loosened is the same as why some people do not have a problem at all from day one. It could be a manufacture defect in some of the cases. By loosening the screws is part of the solution, not the whole solution. I loosened the screws before using the Felt and it worked great until it started to have the click problem again. I loosened the screws more and got the SIM card error. I actually took my entire phone apart (to seal the screen from getting any dust under it) and played with the screws as I was assembling it.

If you loosen them too much then you will get the SIM card error since the contacts (which are spring loaded) are on the same PC board as the click button but the SIM card is held onto it by the same flimsy plastic support that is moving away from it. Loosen it too much and it pushes the SIM card away.

What I am saying is that the Torx screw fix is part of the solution and I never said that it was wrong or incorrect. Also, the felt pad on some phones is only part of the solution and needs the torx screws loosened also.

This is a QA problem with RIM manufacture as I doubt they are using any torque wrenches to tighten any of the screws down to a certain torque but simply just tightening by feel and that's why some have the problem out of the box and some develop the problem over time.
    01-06-09 12:24 PM
    i got a replacement too, but only after i called...i first went to the store but they were little jerks so i called instead. at first the guy on the phone told me it would be better to go in the store to avoid getting charged, but i told them they were jerks and to just charge me haha. got the phone overnight and you have ten days to return your old phone. pretty easy imo.
    01-06-09 01:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD