I was reading the blog post about Verizon preparing or rumors about a PTT service coming to some Blackberry phones.

Before I got my first Blackberry(Storm 2) I had the Casio G'Zone boulder. What a piece of crap that turned out to be. Besides withstanding the water and some drops the phone itself sucked and was poorly designed. Instead of getting a third replacement phone I got out of my contract about 9 months early and was allowed to get my current Blackberry. Much better and next to no issues like the Boulder.

Now the one thing that was starting to grow on me while I had it was the PTT. Not great, not awesome but it was a cool feature that I enjoyed having. It worked almost anywhere I used it and it was a fun way for me to communicate with some of my other friends who had PTT on Verizon. But it wasn't good enough for me to keep the phone so I ditched it, and more then glade I did!! I gotta say if I have my choice I would stick with Blackberry phones.

I didn't see anything in the posts I read while searching and didn't hear anything about PTT being released to Storm 2 through this update. From what I understood it sounds like a software update so is it possible that we could see it come to the Storm 2? I know from what I read it is showing up in some of the most recent OS leaks but will it make its way to the Storm 2?

Has anybody heard and rumors or know anything more about what phones will be getting this new PTT feature?

-Russ03
    03-14-10 10:00 PM
    wish i could decipher "ptt".
    03-14-10 10:04 PM
    PPT. Push To Talk. Makes your phone into a handie talkie. Just like Nextel.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-10 10:08 PM
    wish i could decipher "ptt".
    Push to Talk - Similar to what Nextel built their brand on.

I personally don't see the S2 getting this. Though I could be wrong, I think that if/when Verizon implements this, you'll see specific devices being rolled out that are integrated with this feature. Not that current devices couldn't have software updates, etc. but I don't see any existing device getting this

Though it seems cool, I lost interest in it when I realized it's really not that different than initiating a phone call, and I was always annoyed when people had that stupid incoming beep when someone was trying to get a hold of them. To each their own.
    03-14-10 10:09 PM
    Push To Talk
    kinda like the "nextel" phone thingy.
    it acts like a walkie-talkie in a quick-connect way.

Oops, I was a bit slow on that reply!
    03-14-10 10:09 PM
    I liked it before I had a Blackberry but bbm does the same thing for me. Anything is possible at this point but I don't think they will offer it for us. They are trying to keep the 8350I market since that phone is being phased out eventually
    03-14-10 10:12 PM
    You should have bought switched to the Motorola it's much better.
    03-14-10 10:13 PM
    I actually came from nextel's curve 8350i to the storm 2. There are days where I miss my ptt. If the storm 2 had a ptt add on via convience key and an app or OS update, that would truly be amazing. It might actually get my parents to drop Nextel and come to big red.

03-14-10 10:20 PM
    Nice to have but not needed. If it was free then I'd use it but if it's a fee then I would have no use for it.
    03-14-10 10:33 PM
    Nice to have but not needed. If it was free then I'd use it but if it's a fee then I would have no use for it.
    I agree....
    03-14-10 10:39 PM
    With Verizon, don't hold your breathe. They love to charge for everything. There is no way they would release PTT for free.
    03-15-10 02:27 AM
    thanks to everyone who explained PTT. or should I have written,"TTEWEPTT"?
    03-15-10 01:00 PM
    Our current PTT service for capable phones os $6.00 per month , I would expect it would stay the same .
    03-15-10 01:17 PM
    PPT now available on the Tour. If you have the unlimited data plan there is no extra charge for the ppt service. I don't know if they plan to add more BB's but I wouldn't mind having it on my S2.
    03-31-10 08:26 AM
    Latest word from VZW is if you have a voice and data existing contract and you add the PTT feature between March 30 and April 30 and your BB phone supports it, then there is NO monthly charge.
    03-31-10 11:27 AM
    Latest word from VZW is if you have a voice and data existing contract and you add the PTT feature between March 30 and April 30 and your BB phone supports it, then there is NO monthly charge.
    They are offering a limited free trial for the service. Are you sure that's not what they meant?
    03-31-10 01:38 PM
    its free for the remainder of your contract
    03-31-10 02:17 PM
    Exactly, I agree 100%. Based on what I've read, VZW is offering a "free trial" so you can bet there will be a fee. In that case <yawn> no thanks. There are multiple other threads going on with the same subject. VZW is not one to give stuff away. The S2 will be history before they even consider it for another device.

Last edited by EnergyPlus; 03-31-10 at 02:28 PM.
    03-31-10 02:26 PM
    I don't really see a need for it so I'm not that worried. I might give the free trial a run when I get my Tour soon. But I don't intend to pay for it considering all my friends, family and co-workers are not on Verizon. If anything, I'm interested in being able to say I've used it and see if it really works.

03-31-10 03:22 PM
    So that means that VZW will wait until after April30th to roll out PTT to other devices..LOL
    03-31-10 09:53 PM
    INCORRECT, it's between now and JUNE 30TH, not April 30th.
    04-01-10 07:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD