View Poll Results: Will RIM ultimately develop a way for users to turn Surepress off?

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

49 31.82%
  • No

75 48.70%
  • You are an ***** -this has been discussed elsewhere a million times

30 19.48%
    I know the issue of disabling Surepress is a sensitive one. Some argue that it increases accuracy and efficiency. Others support it for other reasons, arguing that it was designed specifically for the Storm, and it would be asinine to disable it. Others argue that we should be able to universally disable Surepress. And still others (like me), wish that users could selectively disable Surepress; say, for example, only for typing.

I think that Surepress is huge. It totally revolutionizes the experience. Not only is it cool to use, but it actually increases efficiency, accuracy, and flow in some applications. I also happen to think that it hinders in other applications. For someone that types very fast (like me), I wish there was a way to turn Surepress off, if only just for typing.

How many of you have just phantom typed by only touching the keys -- just so that you can get a feel for what it could be like if Surepress was off? I know I have. And damn, I could go extremely fast if Surepress was off. Maybe my accuracy might suffer, but it is something I would be willing to forgo (to a certain extent).

So, to the question: How many of you think that RIM will ultimately develop a way for users to turn Surepress off, whether it is selectively or universally?
    11-23-08 09:59 PM
    nope they wont .. its native with the OS . just wont work
    11-23-08 10:00 PM
    i dont think so. but maybe future apps will not require it??
    11-23-08 10:02 PM
    Oh, I didn't know that. Can you elaborate on that Sooks? I mean, I'm no programmer, but, if a touch makes the key blue (in landscape typing, for example), then why can't a touch send the signal to input the letter? You know what I'm saying? I'm not saying that the actual press be disabled. I'm saying, can it be made such that the touch alone could send the signal, as well as the press?
    11-23-08 10:09 PM
    I doubt it and i really dont know why there is the complaint about it. After a few days with the phone i already know the keyboard better and i can type at a pretty decent speed. by this time next week it will be a natural thing..

i think once you let yourself get use to it and you mess around with some of the settings you will be fine
    11-23-08 10:16 PM
    I sure hope so!!!! I'm getting a lot better at typing but I'm running into the problems other reviews have had with the phone not fully releasing the screen before selecting another button.

I will post a video of me typing

Edit: I hope they will let us selectively choose what we want to use the surepress on. I love it navigating websites and moving around the OS it works great! I love it! just not when I type.
    Last edited by xxraffyxx; 11-23-08 at 11:02 PM.
    11-23-08 10:59 PM
    how would they disable surepress...you need to press down on the keyboard, it would defeat the purpose of the phone. unless you crammed something in there u really can't "disable" surepress
    11-23-08 11:27 PM
    I think SurePress is really quite useful and I like it. I was playing with my friend's G1 and I was trying to click the screen the whole time!
    11-23-08 11:29 PM
    how would they disable surepress...you need to press down on the keyboard, it would defeat the purpose of the phone. unless you crammed something in there u really can't "disable" surepress
    not disable the fact that the screen clicks... but to only touch the keys instead of clicking the keys for it to register.
    11-23-08 11:29 PM
    you dont need to press down for anything when using opera mini and i LOVE that. If I had to option to disable it in a similar way I can adjust the sound settings for specific notifications (ie mms, sms, email, incoming phonecall, etc) for things such as text messaging, docs to go, and email any gripe i have with this phone would dissipate.
    11-23-08 11:34 PM
    I like the whole clickthrough technology, but sometimes I get lazy and a light touch for some things would be nice...

at least an option for this would be good
    11-23-08 11:37 PM
    Opera Mobile does not require you to press down, so applications can be designed without the "press". I think RIM should make this an option in the OS. Yes we loose some accuracy but sure would kick *** to the Iphone!

I like the whole clickthrough technology, but sometimes I get lazy and a light touch for some things would be nice...

at least an option for this would be good
    01-22-09 04:26 PM
    I will go out on a limb here and GUARANTEE that someone will develop a 3rd party app that replaces the OS keyboard with a keyboard that responds to the touch, not the click. But it will cost you! Like every other 3rd party app does...
    01-22-09 04:32 PM
    I've gotten used to opera and the light touch required, and its faster to navigate than the BB browser because I don't have to click. I would like the option to disable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 04:45 PM
    I hope they will let us selectively choose what we want to use the surepress on. I love it navigating websites and moving around the OS it works great! I love it! just not when I type.
    I totally agree with this statement, and I am confident RIM will do it. I believe RIM takes pride in the quality and functionality of their keyboards, hard or virtual, and that they want to give their users as many keyboard options as possible (e.g. portrait full keyboard). This is the RIM way. I just have to believe that they'll implement it sooner than later (barring any legal restrictions--I'm looking at you, Palm Pre).
    01-22-09 05:42 PM
    I totally agree with this statement, and I am confident RIM will do it. I believe RIM takes pride in the quality and functionality of their keyboards, hard or virtual, and that they want to give their users as many keyboard options as possible (e.g. portrait full keyboard). This is the RIM way. I just have to believe that they'll implement it sooner than later (barring any legal restrictions--I'm looking at you, Palm Pre).
    how do we get them to read this?
    01-22-09 05:50 PM
    how do we get them to read this?
    Are you sure you want them to? it almost 2-1 for NO.
    01-22-09 06:59 PM
    They should read this, because why wouldn't you want to be able to turn on/off sure press, if its possible WHY NOT?? there would be a lot more people that would like the phone if it was JUST touch... I don't mind the click, but i would like to turn off surepress if it was possible. Thats why i voted yes

SO LITSEN RIM!!! make it a option... ON/OFF
    01-22-09 07:17 PM
    this would defeat the whole purpose on buying a storm dont ya think??
    01-22-09 08:21 PM
    Deactivating SurePress would require a complete re-write of the OS.
    01-22-09 08:32 PM
    It wouldn't require a complete rewrite, but it would be a significant overhaul to add this feature. The entire OS has been designed around the idea of the separate click action. So it would take a pretty big rethink of how the OS works.

And there's also the bit about how this would just make it into yet another Jesus Phone clone. The whole point of SurePress is to set the Storm apart from the rest of the Jesus Phone clones.
    01-22-09 08:50 PM
    It wouldn't require a complete rewrite, but it would be a significant overhaul to add this feature. The entire OS has been designed around the idea of the separate click action. So it would take a pretty big rethink of how the OS works.

And there's also the bit about how this would just make it into yet another Jesus Phone clone. The whole point of SurePress is to set the Storm apart from the rest of the Jesus Phone clones.
    Have to agree with you bigman2. This is what the Storm is. Maybe people would like a choice, but the feature is what defined the Storm. There are plenty of touchscreen phones out there to choose from. Hmmmm ... I wonder if in their forums, they are asking if Apple, Nokia, LG or Samsung could possible have a click screen so they could do both?
    01-22-09 09:04 PM
    Native with the OS? You mean the same OS used on non touchscreen devices such as the Curve and Bold?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by jeffmvr; 01-23-09 at 08:49 AM.
    01-23-09 08:42 AM
    this would defeat the whole purpose on buying a storm dont ya think??
    um no, i have a storm because it has media capabilities, a big screen, is on verizon wireless, and fits most of my needs. surepress is not that big a deal to me as a storm feature

hahaha... no.
    They should read this, because why wouldn't you want to be able to turn on/off sure press, if its possible WHY NOT?? there would be a lot more people that would like the phone if it was JUST touch... I don't mind the click, but i would like to turn off surepress if it was possible. Thats why i voted yes

SO LITSEN RIM!!! make it a option... ON/OFF
    it was funny that there was a poll thread about if RIM should do this and people voted no and i was like... "why not?" its like voting to just keep something away from people who would want it. like, if you are going to leave it on, fine, but why vote that RIM not let others turn it off if it doesnt affect you
    01-23-09 08:48 AM
    It is disabled. It's just called an iPhone.
    01-23-09 08:48 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD