I thought we were promised an App store in March, March is coming to a close and nothing has been set up. I love my storm don't get me wrong but it seems like the iPhone just does everything smoother and better then the Storm has. It's just annoying that the iPhone gets all this cool stuff and we get nothing.

(I might just be aggravated because I just watched their new 3.0 software but whatever)
    03-22-09 11:24 AM
    With the 3.0 update Apple has IMHO given the iphone an even bigger advantage than the Storm.

The Storm is better hardware wise but the OS needs a serious overhaul.
    In terms of functionality the Storm and BlackBerry phones in general beat the iphone but it would be nice if the Storm got some iphone like features like 'flick' scrolling and pop up letters to improve ease of use and overall efficiency.
    03-22-09 11:37 AM
    The storm has more room for potential and it can only get better so just give it time and we will have an amazing phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-09 11:39 AM
    the app store is due at the end of the month like the end end lol so dont worry it will come in time. as for the os i agree that it needs a major overhaul but im pretty sure the release of a brand new looking os is coming. based on the posts all thought crackberry im sure were gunna get what we want in the coming month
    03-22-09 11:43 AM
    the app store is due at the end of the month like the end end lol so dont worry it will come in time. as for the os i agree that it needs a major overhaul but im pretty sure the release of a brand new looking os is coming. based on the posts all thought crackberry im sure were gunna get what we want in the coming month
    Yeah near the end of this year ( info from Radio) but knowing RIM look for the overhauled OS this time next year.
    03-22-09 11:48 AM
    I feel the Iphone vs Storm flap is over blown The wife got a Iphone for work and
    After playing around with it for a week or two I'm seeing little advantage over the storm

03-22-09 11:52 AM
    just keep in mind that the storm has only been out for a few months. iphone has been out for a few years. so the iphone does have more of advantage. but remember, ipone had his major problems when it 1st came out too.
    03-22-09 11:54 AM
    just keep in mind that the storm has only been out for a few months. iphone has been out for a few years. so the iphone does have more of advantage. but remember, ipone had his major problems when it 1st came out too.
    RIM has much more experience making smartphones than Apple so IMHO poor excuse. Yes the iphone did have issue but nothing like the Storm.
    03-22-09 11:57 AM
    I thought we were promised an App store in March, March is coming to a close and nothing has been set up. I love my storm don't get me wrong but it seems like the iPhone just does everything smoother and better then the Storm has. It's just annoying that the iPhone gets all this cool stuff and we get nothing.

(I might just be aggravated because I just watched their new 3.0 software but whatever)
    If you don't think this phone would be as good of a tool for you or your business (or anybody) as the iPhone why aren't you using the iPhone?
    03-22-09 11:58 AM

I feel you man... This is America dang it we want instant results not steady increasingly better results. We don't want to have to wait for the best we want it now!! Now give us this new OS that will save this device and give us this App store so we can get some new toys for our bad *** device.

Just kidding but seriously the wait is getting old hopefully we will see something soon. So i can show this puppy off a little more. Kind of embarrassing when your in a light saber fight with some iPhone punk and your storm randomly reboots.
    03-22-09 12:07 PM
    I think right now, the IPhone works better for sure. Less glitchy than Storm. I still however love my Storm.
    03-22-09 12:09 PM
    Last time I used the Jesus Phone it was about 75% "flash", 20% substance, and 5% "WTF?!"

When you got past all the admittedly slick presentation, there really just wasn't that much there. You were tied to iTunes, which sucks... You are stuck with Safari and Apple's email app for better or worse. You have to "jailbreak" the phone to get a landscape keyboard... Battery life was horrendous. No background apps except for a few core services. No cut/copy/paste. You had to use Apple's proprietary plug to charge and sync it, and they do so love to change that plug every so often just to keep those accessory sales going. For all the hype about the app store for the Jesus Phone, no one seems to want to talk about the giant elephant in the room regarding how Apple has to approve each and every app, and won't allow any apps that compete with their own products (like Safari and the Jesus Phone email app). They reserve the right to yank any program for any reason (e.g. the "I am rich" app), and lately they have been having a difficult time keeping up with the demand evaluating apps and approving them, so plenty of developers are just stuck in a sort of purgatory. There's also the fact that Apple isn't afraid to play favorites. Some developers will simply get waived on through, while others will be rejected for the most trivial of things. There's also no MMS on the Jesus Phone, but I don't really knock it for that since I could give two craps about texting of any kind. It just does seem an odd oversight for such a "multimedia" heavy device. AT&T probably just didn't want it toppling their network. Which brings us to the final issue with the Jesus Phone: AT&T exclusivity (in the US at least). This has already prompted several lawsuits regarding how both Apple and AT&T knew that the AT&T wireless network couldn't handle the burden the Jesus Phone would put on it, but they went ahead anyway and marketed it as being able to do all these wonderful things.

Sure the Storm's two official OS releases were sluggish, and the app selection may be minuscule by comparison, but when you get down to it... The Storm is more like 75% substance, 20% "flash", and 5% "WTF?!" It's kind of the ugly workhorse, like my V1.1 Linksys WRT54GS. It's ugly, it's old, but with the Tomato custom firmware, damned if this thing doesn't run MONTHS without me needing to think about it beyond periodic checks for firmware updates. I've tried replacing it with newer routers, but I always need to reboot those things at least once a week with my usage patterns. The only time I reboot my WRT54GS is when there's a firmware update or I'm physically moving it somewhere I can't reach with the power cable. That's what the Storm is like IMO. May not always be much to look at, and it might be a little slow at times, but it gets the job done, and that's what matters most at the end of the day. Sure, it'd be great if it could get the job done AND look great doing it, but if I had to choose between getting the job done or looking good failing, I'd choose getting the job done any time.
    03-22-09 12:10 PM
    I mean the basic underlying point here is that RIM knows they need to do something and do it fast otherwise they are gonna go down the **** hole with this phone. I love my storm but would def drop it for a bold if it came to Verizon

03-22-09 12:18 PM

That's like saying the PS2 has an advantage over the Xbox 360 because it's been out for a few more years.

RIM has been in the phone business far longer than Apple. RIM should have the advantage.
    03-22-09 12:19 PM
    I agree with most others when I say hold tight, it will only get better... I feel its still the better selection as is myself. OTOH, most storm owners out there are tiring of feeling put off and ignored, having paid good money for a not quite ready product.

Keep in mind the iphone crowd aren't exactly in the VIP line either. My gf has one and she is frustrated because that 3.0 upgrade won't be available until Summer...whenever Apple defines it as summer that is (june? July? August?). She is envious of my storm's ability to have a keyboard in both landscape and portrait mode. At present, the iphone can't.

03-22-09 12:28 PM
    Not like the storm, they were SMALL problems. Besides, many people prefer the 1G iphone over the 2G one

Anyway, for now the iphone is a lot better and due to the fact that SO many people have it, I don't think the storm will ever be as good as the iphone. Blackberry makes a lot of phones too so eventually the storm will be old news, the iphone is the only phone apple makes and focuses on. So they're trying to perfect one phone, while blackberry tries to get a new bb out every 6 months.
    03-22-09 12:31 PM
    The Storm has a development team that can only be so big as RIM comes out with new phones every two to three months.

The iPhone has an entire team working just for that one phone constantly.

I feel as though that is a HUGE advantage to iPhone users. Not necessarily for customer service, but for efficiency of the product.

I currently have a storm and am trying to figure out how to switch to ATT without that much damage. I've experienced the technical quirks of the Storm, and it's just not delivering. I've also seen the iPhone used in a business sense to it's fullest, and, to me, it can perform. When side by side with an iPhone user, I find myself waiting for a sluggish os (I have the 114 beta) to respond to my every request. As a social networking device, the iPhone tops the Storm (at this point) 200%. Yes, it doesn't have push e-mail (yet), yes the storm ghas landscape (until the apple 3.0 update, and we're back on even playing fields). Some of the features that attracted me to the Storm over the iPhone was browser speed, potential, camera and video, tethering and MMS - it's too bad 3.0 is coming out, as now the storm has that much more to push for. Unless RIM is coming out with the "golden code" before 3.0 comes out, I feel the Storm is losing it's competitive edge. Apple has been given so much control over it's product that it's hard to top companies who control the type of information that is released to the public, making the Verizon Storm user shameful of it's product. As the Storm is getting better with every OS release, I'm finding that it will continue to have difficulties keeping up with it's competition - while Verizon CLEARLY has more bars in more places, most smartphone users don't see service as a top priority over functionality. I find myself slaving over trying to use my storm as a multifunctional device; but as I try to look at a web page while viigo updates it's rss reader while texting a friend and updating my calendar (exaggerated), as the phone should function (right?), it lags to all **** and forces me to do a battery pull. I personally don't want a phone where I am constantly questioning it's performance to improve over time. Some can stand it and play the game of hope, while others prefer losing hope to consistency. Granted the iPhone has been out for longer and had it's issues when it first came out, it is now a stable machine. The Storm has a long, long way to go and since it's service provider and lack of a full team of devs to improve the machine at a faster rate, the Storm is more an overcast then what it's title presumed it to be.

well, thats my $0.2 of the difference between the two.
    03-22-09 12:34 PM
    Just go get an iphone that simple my man

03-22-09 01:36 PM
    I don't think the current Storm will be as good as the iPhone. I think that the Storm will get one more official OS update to stabilize it, and that's it. I believe that this "overhauled OS" people seem to think is coming will be reserved for the Storm 2. RIM knows the Storm isn't as good as it could have been, and I think that instead of spending time trying to get it to where they wanted it, they'll focus on making the next version the best it can be.

03-22-09 04:56 PM
    If you're talking about core features, then it already is.

If you're talking about a stable OS, then yes, it will eventually get there.

If you're talking about having a visually pleasing OS, that is ultra touch friendly, with a crap ton of apps, then probally not. However, its still a great phone.

Last edited by natsfan7; 03-22-09 at 04:59 PM.
    03-22-09 04:56 PM
    I think right now, the IPhone works better for sure. Less glitchy than Storm. I still however love my Storm.
    I'll not part with my Storm. The more I use it the more I love it. Glitches are being worked out of 3rd party apps and the OS seems certainly more stable than back in December when I first got it.

One thing I like about Blackberry is that their phones are nearly infinitely tweakable. I like to tweak with stuff - I can't see that really being possible with iPhone.

I'm a satisfied customer for the most part - except for the weekly battery pull. But I guess that's a law of nature or something. :-)
    03-22-09 07:47 PM
    I feel the Iphone vs Storm flap is over blown The wife got a Iphone for work and
    After playing around with it for a week or two I'm seeing little advantage over the storm

Some people think GUI speed is the only important thing in a phone, unfortunately....
    03-22-09 11:02 PM
    That's like saying the PS2 has an advantage over the Xbox 360 because it's been out for a few more years.

RIM has been in the phone business far longer than Apple. RIM should have the advantage.
    Smartest thing I've heard all day.
    03-23-09 12:26 AM
    Yep, I agree with what most people are saying here. I couldn't stand my Storm anymore. The dust under the screen, the virtually unusable lag ridden OS and even the SurePress screen technology is a dud in my personal opinion.

I'm going to say it... I went out and bought an iPhone. There I said it. I live in Canada so our GSM network is actually better than CDMA networks like Bell. I switched to Rogers with my new iPhone and have had zero dropped calls.

Edit: Before anyone flames me for being a "fanboy" I can only say that this is the only Apple product I now own aside from my Apple AirPort. I think Macs are over priced status symbols. I live in Waterloo Ontario Canada and I know people who work for RIM. ****, I drive their main office everyday. If anything, I've been a BlackBerry fanboy because of where I live. There really comes a point where you have to ask yourself if blind devotion to a company is really worth it. Until RIM gets its act together I'm done with any of their future touch screen devices.

I didn't abandon my Storm, it abandoned me.
    Last edited by MeTHoD-X; 03-23-09 at 04:54 PM.
    03-23-09 04:44 PM
    Here is something for them to mull over at RIM.

Drop the multi-tasking "capabilities" on the Storm and maybe you will get some stability out of the device.

03-23-09 04:50 PM
109 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD