while I am driving in my car. Phone call would be on Bluetooth headset or speaker, for sure. And I would be using whatever GPS software that would also give me turn by turn directions. Thanks, Dave
    10-19-08 05:29 PM
    I'm not sure if you would be able to hear voice directions however the gps software will still work
    10-19-08 05:35 PM
    You really should fill out your profile so that when you post a question, we know what device you have and what carrier you are on.
    10-19-08 05:38 PM
    I am not 100% sure but I would say yess u can. The whole point of 3g is that it allows for voice and data to be used the same time, as well as the better data speeds and voice quality.

Example... U can be talking to someone and be receiving/sending emails at the same time.

Like the last poster said, I doubt the you would be able to talk and get voice gps directions too cuz I guess the speaker can only be used for one thing

Btw this is based on what I know about gsm 3g. I'm not too sure if cdma 3g is the same.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by avmsam; 10-19-08 at 09:04 PM.
    10-19-08 05:46 PM
    Whoops, thanks for the answers. I will fill out my profile. Still new to this. Storm will be my first BlackBerry and Verizon is my carrier.
    10-19-08 11:15 PM
    Verizon blocks the internal GPS in all their current phones from being used with any GPS app other than VZNav, even if you subscribe to VZNav. No one knows whether they will block the GPS in the Storm or not. You can read the description of VZNav on their website. It gets very good reviews from people who use it. It's an additional $9.95/month.
    10-19-08 11:36 PM
    I am checking it out now.
    10-20-08 02:10 AM
    i think VZ Nav will be even greater of an application on the storm because of the big touch screen. i currently have the LG Chocolate 2, and i have vz nav, i use it sometimes when im walking around philadelphia looking for a certain restaurant or even new york city, but i would never be able to use it as a navigation system for my car. but with the proper suction cup holder or even stand i can see this as potentially a good thing for some people.
    10-20-08 02:20 AM
    Verizon blocks the internal GPS in all their current phones from being used with any GPS app other than VZNav, even if you subscribe to VZNav. No one knows whether they will block the GPS in the Storm or not. You can read the description of VZNav on their website. It gets very good reviews from people who use it. It's an additional $9.95/month.
    It seems that it will be unlocked on the Storm, and honestly I think it would be in the best interest for them to do that as it is with the iPhone.

They seem to be targeting the iPhone so this would put another yes mark for them.
    10-20-08 09:27 AM
    It seems that it will be unlocked on the Storm, and honestly I think it would be in the best interest for them to do that as it is with the iPhone.

They seem to be targeting the iPhone so this would put another yes mark for them.
    I hope you're right, but since Verizon's stated reason for blocking the GPS on their other phones is "to protect the safety and privacy of their users" it's hard to see how they could offer less privacy and safety to their Storm users ... would be grounds for a lawsuit for sure ...
    10-20-08 12:08 PM
    I hope you're right, but since Verizon's stated reason for blocking the GPS on their other phones is "to protect the safety and privacy of their users" it's hard to see how they could offer less privacy and safety to their Storm users ... would be grounds for a lawsuit for sure ...
    Because they need the Storm to contend with the iPhone. They might have had to bend over backwards to RIMs request to get the phone. This is all speculation though.
    10-20-08 12:28 PM
    while I am driving in my car. Phone call would be on Bluetooth headset or speaker, for sure. And I would be using whatever GPS software that would also give me turn by turn directions. Thanks, Dave
    I made a comment about something similar to this when RIM went public with the Storm on their website. The RIM website mentions that simultaneous data/voice usage is only available while operating over a HSPA GSM network. I don't know if that applies to VZNav, but it would seem that would be the case.

-SR-
    10-20-08 12:43 PM
    Finally, now I can post links!

At any rate, here is the simultaneous data/voice stipulation I was talking about.

-SR-
    10-20-08 12:45 PM
    I have Verizon so I had to get an external Bluetooth GPS receiver. When I use my bluetooth headset and GPS at the same time the GPS loses the connection till the conversation is finished. I have a Curve 8330. Use BB maps, Google Maps and Nav4all.....think I like Google maps best. Price is right.
    10-20-08 12:59 PM
    The GPS will stop working when you receive a call. This is one disadvantage of CMDA.
    10-20-08 08:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD