View Poll Results: How Happy are you with your Storm (don't lie to yourself like I did)

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am Very happy. There are absolutely no issues the phone works perfect

26 13.83%
  • There are some issues with the touchscreen but I can deal with it for now.

95 50.53%
  • I'm starting to realize that the problems out weigh the benefits. RIM Needs to do something

55 29.26%
  • The touchscreen does not work well at all! RIM NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING NOW!

12 6.38%
    I've been a "crack" berry owner for quite some time now and have sworn by the brand. My curve was amazing, my pearl was ok, and finally I thought I had found the phone that would fit all my needs... The Storm.

After a month with the storm I have realized that blackberry seems years behind the IPHONE with their first all touch screen phone. I can barely type a text message or BBM... never mind an entire email. On occasion it works fine but most of the time the screen is simply NON-RESPONSIVE. I have to press buttons over and over to get it to register. It's not smooth, It's not easy, and It just doesn't feel like a blackberry.

I'm sure everyone has had similar issues but do you not agree that Blackberry needs to do something about it? I have expected nothing but the best from the company yet I have spent the last 2 months defending a company until today when I finally gave in and accepted the fact that the Storm is crap...

I am very unhappy with the typing/ screen response on this phone and I plead with you storm owners to join me and let RIM and Verizon know that WE NEED SOMETHING DONE ABOUT THIS!

REPLY TO THIS POST IF YOU AGREE AND MAYBE WE CAN GET SOMEONE TO NOTICE THAT WE NEED A FIX!

Also: Yes, I have updated to .85 and tried the screw in the back of the phone fix and even tried the business card fix... same result, I know this post is long but luckily my laptop is not does not have a RIM touchscreen.
    01-21-09 01:51 PM
    I think the main problem lies in the OS, it is very slow, buggy, lacking features and poorly designed.
    01-21-09 02:05 PM
    I agree....I'm a new "crackberry" user, on my way to being an "addict" lol.

First off, let me say that I like my Storm - and luckily - have not experienced many of the problems described in some of these forums. With that being said...

My last phone was the LG Dare, which is also a touchscreen. The software on the Dare is leaps and bounds beyond the Storm. Such things as the accelerometer and the camera work flawlessly. I don't understand why a company with such a great reputation (I'm talking about both RIM and Verizon) would release a superior phone with inferior software. I also own an Itouch - wich is also leaps and bounds above the Storm (as far as the software is concerned).

It's clearly possible to have the Storm running as smoothly as the products offered by the competition...why the Storm is running an inferior OS is beyond me.

Let me also say that I didn't expect a perfect product from a new release - I expect there to be some quirks and glitches, but what we were given on the Storm is nearing the unacceptable level.

RIM and Verizon need to get on the ball and get us a software package that meets or exceeds the performance of the competition. I'm by no means considering going to AT&T or any other provider, but this phone is two months old and still not at an acceptable level yet....

Come on guys - get with it....

My 2Cents.
    01-21-09 02:06 PM
    Stop whining or trying to get attention. If the Storm doesn't work for you, be proactive and find something that does instead of whining about it. If Hammer A is too light or heavy, and makes it difficult for me to pound nails, I don't just sit around whining all day feeling sorry for myself, I move on to Hammer B or Hammer C until I find one that works for ME.

If you just want to be one of the "cool kids" who likes to bash the phone, even though your actions of continuing to use it pretty convincingly prove you like it....
    Last edited by JeffH; 02-06-09 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Content Moderation
    01-21-09 02:07 PM
    I am also i new Blackberry owner possibly on my way to being somewhat of an addict, but thats how i am with all my gadgets.

Anyway, corresponding with my vote i feel that the Storm has some MAJOR flaws with it that prevent it from being a GREAT phone and keep it somewhere between mediocre and good. (the clumsy accelerometer, lacking OS, slow boot speeds, frequent freezing while performing mundane and everyday tasks, and the annoying fact that the ringer and vibration feature are off time leading to lots of missed calls, and yes i know about VibandRing but i refuse to pay money for a feature that should be built in.)

That being said, i feel (and hope) that all of these problems will be addressed. Given RIM's long standing good reputation and the fact that SO many people put their faith in RIM with the storm, i feel RIM has no choice to acknowledge these problems. In these arduous times and given RIMs tough competition in the market, they simply have no choice. We will see what happens, if RIM makes good and is pro-active about solving at least some of the STORMS problems, than i say good for them (i will stand by any company that at least makes a conscious effort to fix their problems.) However, if they choose to ignore these issues I for one will no longer be buying anymore blackberry products.

lets see what happens.
    01-21-09 02:20 PM
    I voted "There are some issues with the touchscreen but I can deal with it for now. " even though I have no probelms with the touch screen, rather i know there are probelms with the OS.

I do wonder though If Everyone who had problems posted their OS(& how they upgraded assuming they did), Manufacture date, list of 3rd party apps., BIs or BES ETC we mightbe able to replicate the problems &/or determine what is casuing them
    01-21-09 02:21 PM
    I am now completely satisfied with my newest Storm hardware wise but am growing slightly impatient with the OS.. If speed is of any essence to you I think you are completely out of luck with the Storm at this point. It has been over a month since the last OS update (.75) and while it is mostly solid for me I feel like I went from running on my newest Macbook to a pre-intel/ windows 95 machine.. It takes forever to accomplish the things that mean the most to me and I can only hope with all of these leaked updates that RIM is closing in on a much faster build.
    01-21-09 03:24 PM
    I also must agree. I love this phone and the potential is there to be one major player in the touch phone wars. But the os is so laggy and s l o w. For a blackberry user everything is go go go.
    The problem with the storm is definitely os and not the phone. Once that is fixed all will be good. Imo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-09 03:35 PM
    ...this poll were to be taken after the next release??? OR after it has been around a year and a half like its competitor.

I have told this story before:

A good friend of mine is an Apple FanBoy. And by that I mean he is all about Apple/Mac, phone and computers. This past weekend we were looking at each others and I asked him about the iPhone, and if there were problems when it first came out. He got his within a week of release, and he is the iPhone version of a "crackhead". Anyway when I asked, he laughed and told me that they had the same problems that the Storm has. In fact one could go to the iPhone forums and go back a year and a half and see for your self.

Get over it, either keep the device and move forward with it knowing that you were there in the beginning, OR jump ship now and get something that you think better fits what you want. The whining is getting old.
    01-21-09 04:12 PM
    I feel like I went from running on my newest Macbook to a pre-intel/ windows 95 machine..
    You sir, should have a iPhone.
    01-21-09 04:14 PM
    I'm in the uk and have a storm on Vodaphone, problem is over here that although they sent me another handset on day 10 of the contract, as the first one was completley useless, (battery about 5 hours etc), you only have 14 days trial before you are locked into a 18month minimum contract (�35 a month) my second handset works a little better but the screen seems tight in one corner and the - volume key works only if you push it a certain way! but my main gripe is the slow os and really poor signal reception i live in a major city and you can watch the storm go from sos to full 3g and back again without moving it on the desk i had a nokia n95 before (excellent) and wish i'd waited for the n97, i love the storms web and e-mail but its just so frustrating. my wife keeps asking me when i'm going to get a phone as "the thing in your pocket doesn't take or make calls,,,," come on rim help me out UPGRADE NEEDED NOW!!!!!!!!!
    01-21-09 04:19 PM
    ...this poll were to be taken after the next release??? OR after it has been around a year and a half like its competitor.

I have told this story before:

A good friend of mine is an Apple FanBoy. And by that I mean he is all about Apple/Mac, phone and computers. This past weekend we were looking at each others and I asked him about the iPhone, and if there were problems when it first came out. He got his within a week of release, and he is the iPhone version of a "crackhead". Anyway when I asked, he laughed and told me that they had the same problems that the Storm has. In fact one could go to the iPhone forums and go back a year and a half and see for your self.

Get over it, either keep the device and move forward with it knowing that you were there in the beginning, OR jump ship now and get something that you think better fits what you want. The whining is getting old.
    That is simply not the case, the original iPhone shipped with a stable OS, subsequent updates were buggy, however no where near the extent of the Blackberry Storm. Considering the storm lacks features, and the speed that the iPhone had at its launch, almost two years ago! is completely unacceptable.
    01-21-09 04:23 PM
    That is simply not the case, the original iPhone shipped with a stable OS, subsequent updates were buggy, however no where near the extent of the Blackberry Storm. Considering the storm lacks features, and the speed that the iPhone had at its launch, almost two years ago! is completely unacceptable.
    Features listed below.

1. Copy and Paste – it works by selecting a range of text with two fingers, then pressing the contextual menu/Blackberry key, then clicking on cut or copy from the pop-up menu. Apple is having a hard time implementing this important feature because iPhone lacks a dedicated button.
    2. Camera – Storm includes a 3.2MP camera with flash, auto-focus and video recording. It also has a well-placed, two stage button that acts as an autofocus and a shutter release. Everything about the Storm camera buries the iPhone’s wimpy 2PM shooter.

Nine ways that the Storm beats the iPhone (updated)
    3. Keyboard – In addition to capacitive technology (like the iPhone has) the Storm allows a physical click/press of the touchscreen. The feature is similar to the trackpad in the new MacBook which is one large button. This unique hybrid technology is completely unique and not available on any other phone. (Update: it’s not resistive according to VZW, but rather a “mechanical component that allows the screen to depress”).
    4. Landscape keyboard– The Storm allows you to enter text in email and their Web browser with a keyboard in landscape/horizontal mode. This is a small advantage that Apple should be able to address (?) in a firmware update but it’s an advantage nonetheless.
    5. MMS – Ever get a text message on your iPhone from someone trying to send you an MMS? They’re the ones that require you to go to a URL and enter a long, mixed case username and password. Since the iPhone lacks copy and paste (see #1 above) I never go through the effort of trying to read these messages.
    6. Turn-by-turn GPS – While the iPhone includes a GPS radio and antenna the software is sub-par. Storm includes a free Blackberry Maps application and for an additional $10 per month (or $3 daily) you can subscribe to the VZ Navigator service that provides turn-by-turn directions in the U.S.
    7. Removable battery – Apple missed the boat on this and created a cottage industry in external batteries.
    8. Expansion slot – Don’t worry about the Storms puny 1GB internal memory because it has a MicroSD slot under the battery door that supports up to 16GB cards.
    9. RIM email and messaging services – While this one is debatable for Mac users that subscribe to MobileMe, Enterprise Blackberry users will tell you that this is an important advantage for the Storm.
    10. (NEW) Voice dialing – Safety first. At minimum Apple needs to add this to the iPhone for safety reasons, then they can make a commercial about how convenient it is. I mean, come on, is Apple really going to let Google beat them to speech recognition?
    11. (NEW) Stereo Bluetooth (A2DP) – Handy for listening to music and movies without the cord. I’ve been critical about Bluetooth for music in the past because of poor sound quality, but I hear that it’s getting better.

As for the iPhone at launch, It was NOT perfect, all I will add to this is,GO BACK AND LOOK AT THE iPHONE FORUMS FOR A LENGTH LIST OF ISSUES THAT USERS HAD. How time fades the memory, just a lot quicker for some.

*edit* forgot to add that the storm has these features AT RELEASE.
    01-21-09 04:31 PM
    I voted "There are some issues with the touchscreen but I can deal with it for now."

This is my very first BlackBerry and I am on my original phone, with the official .75 on it.

Aside from the fact that I shouldn't have to do a "hardware hack" to fix the screen click on a device I paid good money for... I'm actually fairly pleased with the device itself.

The problem absolutely lies in the software. The laggy performance, the fact that it sometimes wont detect that it was turned, the fact that I often have to click things twice to get it to respond, the increasingly laggier keyboard input (seems to get worse the more words it learns... and it sucks at actually applying what it learns), and other various software issues.

Additionally... the random reboots. This was a major problem for me until I wiped the device and restored my databases. But it still reboots every few days randomly while its sitting on my desk doing nothing. Phones should NEVER reboot unless I reboot it. My last phone literally crashed only once in the whole 2 years I had it. (I'm one of those people that go months without rebooting my computers, too.) I understand that **** happens sometimes and that legitamately crashes will happen... but multiple times a day or even multiple times a week is unacceptable. But, these reboots would not be as bad if it didn't take 5 years, give or take 1 minute, to start back up.

The default fix for weird issues also seems to always be a battery pull. I tend to get the feeling that no one _really_ knows why the phone acts weird from time to time... almost like the underlying architecture is just overly complicated and so bloated that it's near impossible to really debug. Also possibly evident by how devices seem to act differently with the same exact software installed on them.

So yeah, overall I'm not fully impressed by BlackBerry OS itself (not specifically the Storm's OS).

However, I'm going to wait it out. I'm hoping they fix the lag issues, reboot issues, and improve the typing experience at the very least. I really think their entire OS needs to be rewritten and re-thought out from the ground up... but I know that isn't going to happen any time soon.

Edit: I feel I have to add (since the discussion seems to now be heading towards iphone comparisons) that I personally hate the iPhone. The iPhone is the worst toy I've ever seen... even considering the software issues on the Storm right now. The advantages at this point DO outweigh the problems on the Storm... don't get me wrong.
    Last edited by electrofreak2k7; 01-21-09 at 04:58 PM.
    01-21-09 04:48 PM
    I have one sitting in a drawer...
    You sir, should have a iPhone.
    01-21-09 06:08 PM
    the i phone also had many problems when it first arrived patience is a virtue and good things come to all that wait rome wasnt built in a day the storm will grow in intensity
    01-21-09 06:18 PM
    I truly do have a perfect Storm (hardware). My OS could surely use some improvements, but overall my Storm works great. However, I do admit my fist Storm had a click problem and I returned it for a new replacement. It is truly awesome.
    01-21-09 06:20 PM
    Mine is great, but I do look forward to additional OS upgrades.

I admit I had do to a QuickPull today, one week to the day I did the last one, because my phone started to become sluggish.
    01-21-09 08:38 PM
    I have one sitting in a drawer...
    Good place for it
    01-21-09 08:45 PM
    The issue isn't us wining about the storm, I love blackberry phones and want to keep one, however, theres no doubt that the Iphone at this moment in time is far superior. This doesn't mean that the storm will not surpass it but simply that with all the great 3rd party apps and much better OS on the Iphone it is a better product.

I am hoping that with this thread and others like it, RIM will feel more pressured to perfect their product. They are getting a bad reputation and in business reputation means almost everything.
    01-27-09 01:50 PM
    I have had my Storm since Dec. I have had the same problem with voice since day one. The exact feedback no matter who I am talking to is that I sound "far" away. I have had .75, .83, .85, .90, and .99 is this something others are having a problem with as well I broke down and ordered the FRU today just to see if it was my device. I just wanted to know what other's hear about voice issues on the phone.

P.S. sorry if it's not in the correct place, I couldn't find one that fits here.
    02-04-09 02:58 AM
    This is my first BB..i moved over from daily freeze up treo 700p..my wife uses the iphone and loves it. i was never a BB fan simply bec there were too many steps to perform a simple task..i also hated the sure type keyboards. i thought that with the Storm and touch screen those issues would be resolved or bypassed..Not so..its the same thing. its a beautful device and i am getting used to it but if verizon had the Bold i would change in a heartbeat..the keyboarding on this phone is horrendous and its Achilles heal..i dont mind the click..its the errors on typing and back and forth and back and forth with the Sure type and Medical stuff it never gets right. Add that to the daily Battery Pulls..which is like a 3rd world concept of a "smartphone"..and before anyone chimes in with Soft reset and quick pull i use them..but the fact you need to..is moronic to say the least..I will end by saying i own everything Apple..but never was a fan of the iphone.hated the touch screen and thats why i havent bought it and still sticking with the Storm. Hoping RIM fixes some of these bugs..the OS needs to be overhauled esp if they want a device like this to gather traction.
    02-04-09 04:20 AM
    Fix? There's nothing wrong.

I will gladly sign on though if it means an improving OS for everyone.

(I'm using .75 without any issues since 12/08)
    02-04-09 05:29 AM
    I have had my Storm since Dec. I have had the same problem with voice since day one. The exact feedback no matter who I am talking to is that I sound "far" away. I have had .75, .83, .85, .90, and .99 is this something others are having a problem with as well I broke down and ordered the FRU today just to see if it was my device. I just wanted to know what other's hear about voice issues on the phone.

P.S. sorry if it's not in the correct place, I couldn't find one that fits here.
    Sorry, but what is "the FRU"
    02-05-09 09:58 AM
    Fix? There's nothing wrong.

I will gladly sign on though if it means an improving OS for everyone.

(I'm using .75 without any issues since 12/08)
    I think you're the only person I've heard of that has not noticed anything wrong... You're telling me that your keyboard NEVER freezes when your typing, your corners click well all the time, and you don't have to ever do battery pulls?
    02-05-09 09:59 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD