Is this even on the table?

Does RIM ever plan to include flick (rubber band) scrolling in an OS update to compete with the iPhone or Pre?

For searching long strings such as contacts I believe this is a must.

So what do you think?

Anyone? CX? Sith?
    Last edited by markdental; 02-24-09 at 09:29 AM.
    02-24-09 09:26 AM
    That would be nice. i doubt it but we can all hope. lol
    02-24-09 09:27 AM
    I hope so...even the dare has it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 09:27 AM
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I just checked my magic 8 ball and it said no.
    02-24-09 09:36 AM
    My most reliable contact (my uncle's cousin's sister's neighbor's dog walker's pool cleaner's half-nephew's step mother's ex-husband's aunt's mechanic) says that he's not sure.
    02-24-09 09:40 AM
    Ignorance is bliss. I can't miss what I don't know about or understand.
    02-24-09 09:41 AM
    Come on now! This just seems like a stupid ? to me. RIM hasn't even put together a stable OS for the device yet that actually performs as it should. My feeling on it is unless RIM has something top secret up their sleeve, we won't see it and if we do it won't be for a looooooong time. Probably not until they release a new version of the storm and we are all stuck with a sub-par BB storm.
    02-24-09 09:46 AM
    lol, tru dat. Flick scrolling lets you "throw" whatever it is you're scrolling. Instead of a 1:1 finger slide-to-page scroll ratio, you can throw the page and it will use momentum to slow down and stop. Very helpful for long web pages or menus with alot of options (like your application list).
    02-24-09 09:49 AM
    Well the Wall Street Journal app and MyPoynt app have this so how hard could it be?
    02-24-09 09:55 AM
    Well the Wall Street Journal app and MyPoynt app have this so how hard could it be?
    Agree completely.

All they would have to do is add the ability to certain portions of the OS, like the Contacts or the Call Log, etc...
    02-24-09 09:59 AM
    Adding this simple feature (that most of the good phones are coming out with) will definitely make the storm feel modern against the upcoming onslaught.

Can't believe RIM has missed this. I hoped that it would get included in the first couple of updates, but ....... hope is fading.
    02-24-09 10:20 AM
    I believe this this has been answered, but the sad truth is that it wont happen on the storm. Or any other device without the approval becuase it has been official copywritten so nobody else can use that tech without consent(money). It is possible on some other smart phones but ones made in the future or recently out will not have that technology.
    02-24-09 10:25 AM
    As does AP Mobile....
    02-24-09 10:33 AM
    Can't believe RIM has missed this. I hoped that it would get included in the first couple of updates, but ....... hope is fading.
    I've been waiting for my Storm to make me coffee in the morning. After the first couple updates.... hope is fading.

I guess you all are assuming that RIM uses CB as a suggestion box. RIM's development team isn't 5 guys sitting around playing video games and wondering what cool features people want on their phones. They have a large dev team, and they use the standard software development process.

You all act like they can pull magic features out of their hats, and include them in beta releases at will. In actuality, the development process is geared toward resolving bugs and plowing through the development timeline. If the 'features' we all want aren't on the timeline, they're not going to magically show up in a leaked beta that very few people are even supposed to have their hands on.

Hate to be the Debbie Downer, but you all post 25 of these threads a day saying "OMG RIM ISNT LISTENING TO MEEEEEE!!11!1SHIFTELEVEN". You all need to relax and wait for RIM to do its thing. If you want a feature so bad, apply for a development job at RIM and code it yourself.

02-24-09 10:35 AM
    If the flick scrolling is as badly implemented as it is in the AP Mobile News App, then they are better off not doing it at all.

The downward scroll is fine, but the upward one needs some serious work. Who knows how it may act on .109, but I feel the issue is a AP Mobile News Problem because it doesn't act like that in some other apps that have flick scrolling.
    02-24-09 10:40 AM
    Here's a thought experiment analogy for the heuristic:

Picture a globe. As in a model earth on a stand that you find in most classrooms. Now imagine you spin/flick it once with your finger. It will rotate and eventually slow to a stop. The harder you spin, the faster it rotates and longer till it slows to a stop. You can stop it yourself by putting your finger on it, like a brake.

That's flick scrolling. You 'flick' the screen and it scrolls to a stop. The quicker/harder you flick, the faster it scrolls and longer it takes to come to a stop. Putting your finger on the screen mid scroll will stop it instantaeously.

Viewing a long webpage? Want to get to the bottom? Hard flick and *bam*
    Looking for something on a long web page? Flick, browse as the page scrolls, touch screen when you find what you're looking for, and viola!
    Want to cycle through a bunch of pictures or songs without having to view/see them one at a time? Flick and there you go!

Didn't apple patent flick scrolling by the way? They patented their pinch zoom.
    Last edited by mikestorm; 02-24-09 at 11:19 AM. Reason: elaborated on analogy
    02-24-09 10:45 AM
    I doubt the OS could handle something like flick scrolling. The iPhone also has video acceleration which is absent from the Storm. The addition of flick scrolling would make an already slow and laggy OS back to square one, .109 would be as slow as .65, plus they would probably have to make all the colors 4 bit.
    02-24-09 10:46 AM
    I doubt the OS could handle something like flick scrolling. The iPhone also has video acceleration which is absent from the Storm. The addition of flick scrolling would make an already slow and laggy OS back to square one, .109 would be as slow as .65, plus they would probably have to make all the colors 4 bit.
    Ahh yes. Jazelle. If flickscrolling is that resource intensive and requires video acceleration, then don't expect it on the Storm.
    02-24-09 10:53 AM
    It's one thing to do it at the app level, doing it system wide is an entirely different beast. It might be easy to shift gears in your car, but rebuilding the transmission is an entirely different scenario. And yes, the example sucks, but it's early, I'm tired, so deal with it or come up with a better one on your own.
    02-24-09 11:01 AM
    As a troll, maybe you can satisfy my curiosity as to why it is trolls troll. Or maybe you can just add a new routine once in awhile instead of Jesus Phone this and Jesus Phone that.
    02-24-09 11:03 AM
    This is one of the biggest gripes with the phone. Getting through contacts, message lists, and music is an absolute chore. But we have been over this time and time again. It is obvious by looking at the direction of the beta's that RIM is focused on stability and speed within the current OS. As they should be...

Get the current setup running good and quick then try and implement something like flick scrolling. I still think we will see at some point in time.
    02-24-09 11:08 AM
    Is this even on the table?

Does RIM ever plan to include flick (rubber band) scrolling in an OS update to compete with the iPhone or Pre?

For searching long strings such as contacts I believe this is a must.

So what do you think?

Anyone? CX? Sith?
    See there is this thing called a keyboard on the device. Rather than mindlessly fingering things just click the text entry box. Type a name and move on with your life. If you want flick scrolling so bad and think that the storm not having it makes it so that the storm doesn't compete then please go take yours back!
    02-24-09 11:14 AM
    Flick Scrolling is what would make me update to a leaked OS. If they had that feature, it would make the entire UI feel diffrent. That would make the phone awesome. For now, I enjoy it with the Ipod Touch
    02-24-09 11:19 AM
    See there is this thing called a keyboard on the device. Rather than mindlessly fingering things just click the text entry box. Type a name and move on with your life. If you want flick scrolling so bad and think that the storm not having it makes it so that the storm doesn't compete then please go take yours back!
    Haven't you learned yet that this kind of practical commentary has no place here. Only wild speculation (the less it can be verified the better) and kneejerk reactions are allowed. Level headed reasoning has no place here.
    02-24-09 11:24 AM
    I believe this this has been answered, but the sad truth is that it wont happen on the storm. Or any other device without the approval becuase it has been official copywritten so nobody else can use that tech without consent(money). It is possible on some other smart phones but ones made in the future or recently out will not have that technology.
    this is wrong. "flick scrolling" is not copyrightable. you either made this up or repeated it from someone who doesn't know what theyre talking about.
    02-24-09 11:24 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD