So my cousin is pumped up about the LG Arena possibly coming to the US. I'm not one of these guys who bash other phones, I really couldn't care less what phone I have. I had some cash and my upgrade came at the right time. I enjoy my storm I think I got a pretty good one. No major problems. Ok. So my cousin starts saying how this phone is verizon's iphone and the storm was a bust really I could care less but it is my cousin and we have a healthy rivalry. After all the back and forth s' talking his "strong" point was the wifi and how wifi is better than 3g. I'm not a big tech guy and don't claim to be but I always thought you have to be in wifi hotspot to use wifi. Can anyone educate me on the differences between the two? Also anyone have some info on the lg arena? What do you think? Don't just blast the phone because were on crackberry some facts would be better some positive and negative. Don't worry I won't be switching I never pay full price for a phone no matter what phone. Thanks. Blaze.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-09 09:29 AM
    WiFi is an internet connection to an existing wireless hub on a wired internet connection (think house/hotel/store). You have a range issue.

3G follows you, full cellular service, not related to location (as much) though you may find a dead spot on occasion.

For me, WiFi would be great to have with the 3G as there are times you may be traveling in a distant country, and WiFi is faster and more readily available. But for most US locations, 3G does the job and does it just fine.
    03-20-09 09:33 AM
    I agree I think the ability to have both Wifi and 3G networking would be the way to go.
    03-20-09 09:37 AM
    Wifi is a nice option if you're someplace with reliable wireless signal... AND have no other means to connect to the internet.

The only place I go with reliable wireless is my own house. At which point I have a Sony Vaio and Playstation 3 to connect to the internet. WiFi will not assist me when using my phone to navigate (Garmin) nor 99% of the time when I use my phone's browser
    03-20-09 10:03 AM
    For me, WiFi would be great to have with the 3G as there are times you may be traveling in a distant country, and WiFi is faster and more readily available. But for most US locations, 3G does the job and does it just fine.
    he basically said all that needs to be said
    03-20-09 11:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD