does anyone know if already available - looking for hardware/software solution whereby BB bluetooth would connect to carryalong convertor device for WIFI connection- combined bluetooth/WIFI chip is tiny and cheap (I think) and someone has either done this already or is thinking about it - BB Storm should have had WIFI built in but Verizon probably wanted to block that route onto Internet -- never will be an iphone killer with that thinking!

Thanks out there!!
    02-24-09 08:37 PM
    not.gonna.happen.
    02-24-09 09:02 PM
    and why not - if enough people think it is a good idea, the technology is out there!
    02-24-09 09:05 PM
    So try it.
    02-24-09 09:06 PM
    Or buy a phone with wifi....
    02-24-09 09:07 PM
    now that was helpful
    02-24-09 09:09 PM
    Who needs WiFi when you have the most reliable network with the best coverage?

Besides, public WiFi IS NOT safe. I will never use public WiFi if I can help it. When I am at home, I would rather use my laptops.
    02-24-09 09:13 PM
    You are with Verizon, Verizon literally cripples their blackberries as stated several times on this website. No Blackberry has WiFi at the moment (The awaited Niagara is rumoured to have it). However the ONLY Storm that has WiFi is the 9520, the GSM phone from ROGERS, a group in Canada. It will not work on Verizon or Sprint.
    02-24-09 09:16 PM
    Thats really a good idea. My co-worker takes his bluetooth enabled phone with internet and uses it as a wireless modem for his laptop. Couldn't it be kinda like that small wifi device bluetooth enabled. Sounds like a good idea to me. Why can't a wifi device adapt to the storm. My old Palm treo had a SD wifi card.
    02-24-09 09:17 PM
    Ok... this must be said.

It is not necessary on this device because Verizon's 3g network virtually covers every populated area in the states. The iPhone NEEDS wifi because AT&T's 3g coverage is only available in select highly populated area's.

You have a data plan, use it. Wifi is not going to give you much of a speed boost because currently the only reason webpages appear slow is because the phone is taking time to render the page/images. Try a different browser and you will get a major boost in speed.

Wifi would be a stupid idea for RIM... It increases the cost of an already pricier to manufacturer phone and drains battery life like no other. The storm has the best battery life of any of the big 3. (The G1, Storm, iPhone)
    Last edited by Ravr; 02-24-09 at 09:28 PM.
    02-24-09 09:20 PM
    Thats really a good idea. My co-worker takes his bluetooth enabled phone with internet and uses it as a wireless modem for his laptop. Couldn't it be kinda like that small wifi device bluetooth enabled. Sounds like a good idea to me. Why can't a wifi device adapt to the storm. My old Palm treo had a SD wifi card.
    What your talking about is Tethering, something that you can already do with the storm by paying $15 a month more for the appropriate data plan. This is not WiFi.
    02-24-09 09:22 PM
    now you are getting it... with WIFI you could use Skype etc. --I hate watching my friends use wifi to internet on their iphones -- the speed of their internet connection far exceeds anything I can get from Verizon
    02-24-09 09:23 PM
    Buy a netbook

- Higher Resolution
    - Larger Screen
    - Wifi
    - Small
    - Cheap

You can't go wrong. If you going to go through the trouble of carrying around devices, wires etc just to get wifi, why not carry around a laptop / netbook?
    02-24-09 09:23 PM
    What your talking about is Tethering, something that you can already do with the storm by paying $15 a month more for the appropriate data plan. This is not WiFi.
    If only I could get it for $15.
    02-24-09 09:24 PM
    you may be correct about the battery drain but not the cost of such a solution - check it out - a chip less than 2mm square contains both bluetooth and WIFI hardware and costs less than $1 - but yes, the battery drain for WIFI transmission may be high
    02-24-09 09:26 PM
    I love the BB - just wish WIFI came along for the ride - I wouldn't want to use a netbook as a phone but not a bad idea with skype aboard - just would look stupid holding it like a phone!
    02-24-09 09:29 PM
    now you are getting it... with WIFI you could use Skype etc. --I hate watching my friends use wifi to internet on their iphones -- the speed of their internet connection far exceeds anything I can get from Verizon
    1. I doubt an add-on wireless bt/wifi module you crave will be successful on the market. Not enough demand.

2. wifi add-on devices will also need software drivers/mod to the OS. Not easy.

3. if you want wifi that badly, return your storm and get a phone with wifi, or wait for the 9520. If you're jealous of the iphone, remember that there's plenty of things your storm can do that the iphone can't. Sure wifi would be nice, but so would a fuel cell battery, wireless charging, free tethering, LTE, wimax, hdmi out, etc.
    Last edited by buxleyp; 02-24-09 at 09:38 PM.
    02-24-09 09:36 PM
    the software would be a separate app - it would not need hooks into the BB kernel - it would just be BT full duplex data transfer to duplex WIFI
    02-24-09 09:43 PM
    ....if you want wifi that badly, return your storm and get a phone with wifi....
    Amen to that. People always think the grass of your neighbor is greener.
    02-24-09 09:47 PM
    [QUOTE=Ravr;1780243]Ok... this must be said.

It is not necessary on this device because Verizon's 3g network virtually covers every populated area in the states. The iPhone NEEDS wifi because AT&T's 3g coverage is only available in select highly populated area's.

Poor 3g service in Schuylkill and Berks Counties in various areas. Although advertised Verizon has issued a statement that these are 3g fringe areas. I am sure there are others. When you are a power business user and you use "America's most reliable Network" you expect their maps to be correct and not be told that you are a fringe customer once the contract is signed. I agree for those who can afford the device, Want the WIFI it would be a GREAT idea.
    I dont doubt that Verizon has great service and probably the best. But no cellular service at this time can possibly state they are reliable just lucky.
    02-24-09 09:51 PM
    Who needs WiFi when you have the most reliable network with the best coverage?

Besides, public WiFi IS NOT safe. I will never use public WiFi if I can help it. When I am at home, I would rather use my laptops.
    i have telus and i think it sucks the only reason im on it is casue they are the cheapest... where i am i get 1-2 bars if im lucky (urban house)
    02-25-09 04:06 AM
    1. I doubt an add-on wireless bt/wifi module you crave will be successful on the market. Not enough demand.

2. wifi add-on devices will also need software drivers/mod to the OS. Not easy.

3. if you want wifi that badly, return your storm and get a phone with wifi, or wait for the 9520. If you're jealous of the iphone, remember that there's plenty of things your storm can do that the iphone can't. Sure wifi would be nice, but so would a fuel cell battery, wireless charging, free tethering, LTE, wimax, hdmi out, etc.
    the storm has wireless charging? how? hdmi out? not sure waht free teathering, wimax, is...................... explain how to do this stuff
    02-25-09 06:43 AM
    Public wifi is both unreliable and unsafe.

I don't need it.
    02-25-09 06:47 AM
    the storm has wireless charging? how? hdmi out? not sure waht free teathering, wimax, is...................... explain how to do this stuff
    Stick one finger in the USB port, another in the socket. Boom! wireless charging.
    02-25-09 06:49 AM
    Its annoying when people say wifi is unnecessary because we're on the nations fastest network. If you have 100% 3G signal indoors every time then you are the only lucky one. Wifi speed beats any wireless network

And if anyone figures out something close to the OP's idea count me in

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by NBAJWill55; 02-25-09 at 07:03 AM.
    02-25-09 07:00 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD