IM going to post why I personally was upset at no wifi. It really for the most part didn't have anything to do with the speed problem. There is a few apps on my current phone that are really usefull for my job (being in IT)

1) being able to VNC a server/computer on the network. Now without wifi I will have to vpn in and this can make it quite a bit slower not that the verizon network cant handle it but the current vpn setup only allows for so much speed other wise it would get bogged down.

2) I have a speed test application for networks up/down speed. I didn't use it much to check anything but wifi speeds on the network.

without going into to many more details there was a bunch of other network admin tools that are nice to have that are pretty useless without wifi. Yes it is true I can accomplish all of this through a laptop or desktop but it was nice to have a few things on the phone when I was out and about fixing things around the network.
    i have no idea what you just said but i am sorry it doesnt have wifi in your case. like i said before tho i personally wont miss wifi. however i dont work in IT either. my goal is to just be independantly wealthy and just use the phone with a mobile net connection to help me manage my large sums of cash woohoo!
    11-18-08 01:22 AM
    i dont want a trial...for how much that plan costs i should get it free lol. if they wont give it to me free i will just look for external software to download that will have somethign similar to VZ Nav. would like voice turn by turn. that would be sweet!

oh wait thats right what was i thinking apps arent available for blackberrys. just go ask all the iphoney fanatics out there that flame blackberry as terrible cuz it has no app store LOL
    I dont know why people say blackberrys dont have apps... they have TONS! nearly as many as the iphone I am sure. the only difference is they dont go straight to your phone you have to connect it to your computer. There are tons of turn by turn apps you can download. Crackberry actually has an app store you can download that is blackberry compatible so you can download things directly to your phone

alright... well maybe not AS many as the iphone, but theres a crap load.
    11-18-08 01:26 AM
    IM going to post why I personally was upset at no wifi. It really for the most part didn't have anything to do with the speed problem. There is a few apps on my current phone that are really usefull for my job (being in IT)

1) being able to VNC a server/computer on the network. Now without wifi I will have to vpn in and this can make it quite a bit slower not that the verizon network cant handle it but the current vpn setup only allows for so much speed other wise it would get bogged down.

2) I have a speed test application for networks up/down speed. I didn't use it much to check anything but wifi speeds on the network.

without going into to many more details there was a bunch of other network admin tools that are nice to have that are pretty useless without wifi. Yes it is true I can accomplish all of this through a laptop or desktop but it was nice to have a few things on the phone when I was out and about fixing things around the network.
    thats understandable. If you work in IT and you work with networks a lot it would make sense to want wifi on your phone so you can test it and all that. It just bugs me when the average person who probably wouldn't ever turn it on says its a deal breaker. It's really not a big deal u nless you have a specific use for it
    11-18-08 01:28 AM
    I dont know why people say blackberrys dont have apps... they have TONS! nearly as many as the iphone I am sure. the only difference is they dont go straight to your phone you have to connect it to your computer. There are tons of turn by turn apps you can download. Crackberry actually has an app store you can download that is blackberry compatible so you can download things directly to your phone

alright... well maybe not AS many as the iphone, but theres a crap load.
    well i could certainly make a guess why people say that blackberry doesnt have apps. and my guess would be its the missinformed iphone lovers. seriously theres a lot of people with iphones that post around the net that think iphone was the first to do anything. ive never had a blackberry and i know they have a ton of apps out there...the difference? well i cant be insanely lazy to get them. i have to get the app thru my pc. yeah its more work to do it. HOWEVER who controls what apps i get in this way?? NOBODY apple controls the apps iphones get. They storm will be getting an app store. maybe all blackberrys for that matter, but i know the storm will have it sometime next year, but with that one your looking at the carriers controlling the apps you get to download thru the app store integrated right on the phone...do you think we will see something to compete with VZ Nav lol i would say not a chance! sorry i will give up the app store ANYDAY for the good old fashion blackberry way.
    11-18-08 01:32 AM
    thats understandable. If you work in IT and you work with networks a lot it would make sense to want wifi on your phone so you can test it and all that. It just bugs me when the average person who probably wouldn't ever turn it on says its a deal breaker. It's really not a big deal u nless you have a specific use for it
    yeah no kidding. when i got my last phone i was like sweet it has wifi then i used it one time. it killed my battery and my sweet it has wifi turned into hey what good is a phone with a dead battery.

really the biggest thing for me is in my area theres very few places that even have wifi hotspots. and actually without going 20+ miles away i dont know if there is even one. maybe the coffee shop here does. not actually sure. i dont drink coffee. but thats the thing for me. i have no place i really need it. besides a lot of wifi hotspots arent free anyway. actually i just remembered of all places mcdonalds was adding wifi the local ones here might have it they did just redo atleast one of them. but why bother with it i have 3g that doesnt suck up as much battery
    11-18-08 01:38 AM
    i am hoping that the blackberry 'store front' as they are going to call it, will be able to compete with the app store. Im just worried that with the carrier controlling it it is going to be too expensive and very limited in terms of what goes on.

another thing i am really hoping for are high quality designers! One of the few things the iphone has going for it is that they have accessories out the WAZOO! RIM needs to get some of those guys like incase and griffin to start making blackberry stuff
    11-18-08 01:38 AM
    damn it use the search function. i always got pissed off at mods on HOFO for shutting down usefull threads like how to "hack" your phone for free vz nav, or tethering, but this site is totally under patrolled
    11-18-08 01:41 AM
    im not much carrying about the accessories. its a mobile phone i dont think i will ever be looking for a pair of speakers for it lol. seriously i have a home stereo that would destroy any set of speakers i could ever find. and i dont want to pack up speakers to go with my mobile phone lol. i only mention this because some iphone lover mentioned it in a posting i had seen in the last few days. i think it was something like "oh the iphone is so awesome want proof look for bluetooth speakers for the iphone then look for them for the storm" i didnt even bother replying but it would have been something like ok look for STEREO bluetooth speakers for an iphone and see what you get lol besides if you would have looked for bluetooth speakers before the iphone came out i wouldnt think it would have that great of a selection itself

...of course i dont think that just because something has an abundance of "stuff" makes it better. just tells me that theres probably a bunch of stuff there for sale thats not worth owning.

on a side note. i hate fan boys. lol
    11-18-08 01:44 AM
    About wi-fi...for europe it would be a great extra to have wi-fi on the storm.
    especially when you have a limit on your data plan (Vodafone).

Why Verizon don't want wi-fi is because they sell data-plans! That way you have to take the Storm with their data-plan.Its part of the company and marketing strategy!Lucky that the US customers have a bigger limit, I've read between 1 and 3GB of data use.
    While overhere the Netherlands and Uk for example only have a max of 500MB!!!!

That's why wi-fi should be on it.
    And I think its up to the consumers to have and use wi-fi.
    Afterall they make the phone become a big sale**** or not.
    just how I look at it.
    ps.excuse me for my bad english......

still have 2 wait till the 21st or the 24st to get my Storm.the Netherlands got their launchparty on friday this week...and then its for anyone to buy it.
    I pre-ordered mine on 04-11-2008 and still don't know when to get it deliverd.just ac email that stated its delayed
    they did'nt got any Storm last week in their warehouse!!!

I wonder if its gonna be released tis month...hope so but ya never know!
    11-18-08 04:02 AM

Why Verizon don't want wi-fi is because they sell data-plans! That way you have to take the Storm with their data-plan.Its part of the company and marketing strategy!Lucky that the US customers have a bigger limit, I've read between 1 and 3GB of data use.

just how I look at it.

still have 2 wait till the 21st or the 24st to get my Storm.the Netherlands got their launchparty on friday this week...and then its for anyone to buy it.
    I pre-ordered mine on 04-11-2008 and still don't know when to get it deliverd.just ac email that stated its delayed

yes I completely understand why you guys complain about it. The 500 mb limit is pretty bad with how much more the phones do. 500 mb 10 years ago on a phone you didnt even come close but now the phones are getting closer and closer to usage of a computer.

Completely understand with the situation over there.
    11-18-08 04:09 AM
    maybe a stupid question but what about a micro sd wifi card. I know they have sd wifi cards?? or what about bluetooth is that fast enough of a transmission to run a wifi device??

just a thought....
    11-18-08 04:28 AM
    "noaim...thx for understanding.

I have this here price-data/plan;

vodafone Multimedia € 57,50 a month included...

- 300 minutes/sms € 35,00
    - Internet data-plan € 9.50
    - BlackBerry Email data-plan € 13,00

the first 12 months you get for € 44.50
    So a monthly rebate of € 13,00

Now I'm trying to get any info about the vodafone data-plans what can you do with the Blackberry email data-plan...any help or a link to this is very welcome.
    11-18-08 04:48 AM
    For me no WiFi is not a deal breaker if the data is good enough.

The Verizon plan looks good with 5Gigs

Vodafone is not, 500meg, and the small print says the navigator uses the same data plan so it comes off your 500meg.

So its dealwise broken for me at the mo, I'll stick with T-Mobile and go BB Bold or G1.

Pity, the storm was top of my very short list, there was only one phone on it.
    11-18-08 06:14 AM
    the premium plans (family or individual) comes with unlimited text/internet VZ nav and all the other basic stuff. For 450 its 80$
    Not to high jack this thread, but does anybody know if you can use a premium plan with the storm? Every time I try to select a premium plan on verizon's website it does not let me enter a smartphone /BB as my phone. Will we be required to go with a BB plan? The reason I ask is that their premium plan gives you unlimited data, texting, and Navigator for only $80 whereas you would have to go with the $99 BB plan and add on Navigator to get the 'same' setup. I'm using this as a personal phone so I don't believe I need all the added items that come with the BB plans.

As a side note, will I be hampering the phone by going with a premium plan and not a BB plan, if it is possible?

Again, sorry to high jack the thread...

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by Pyro515; 11-18-08 at 09:45 AM.
    11-18-08 09:40 AM

just how I look at it.

actually this is a great point. I have heard this one before. and in this case it would be nice. fortunately for me im in the U.S. actually what i think it was that i had heard was not that the limits were low just that the 3g network isnt very wide spread there and you get stuck with a very slow connection. also that wifi hotspots are pretty popular there. which they may be really popular here in the states in the larger cities but not around me they arent.
    11-18-08 09:59 AM
    ok please forgive cause i am new to the whole blackberry thing...
    do you have to pay for email or does it come with it...AND can you still surf the internet with the vzw network and without the wifi??
    11-18-08 09:05 PM
    well ladies and gents there is no wifi well let me tell u why becuz its on the highest 3g speeds know to man lol jk but the are fast so there is no need 2) yes you do need the data plan because it has part to do with verizons contract with bb there are two plans the $29.99 on is for basic unlm email and web $44.99 for unlm web and email but that one is used for corp email servers well i can tell u i know this because i work for verizonwirless
    11-24-08 02:26 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD