I know it has been stated that there will be no WiFi for the Storm and many are pretty upset about that. My question is "Why?".

It is also my understanding that we are required to have a data plan. Many have been talking about BIS & BES. I do not know the difference between them. All I know is VZW websites says Email plan is required. Does this mean email, web, navigator, etc.?

If we are required to have the the data plan, what is the need for WiFi when we always have access to the Internet? With my current Moto Q, the Internet seems pretty quick.

Maybe I'm just uneducated on the benifits of a WiFi capable phone, so please educate me kindly.

Thanks,
    Jake
    11-17-08 11:00 PM
    the #1 rule in CB is....
    11-17-08 11:04 PM
    the #1 rule in CB is....
    reference that one guys avatar hehe
    11-17-08 11:07 PM
    Yea I don't get it either. Sure it would be nice to have speedy internet occasionally when you happen to be near a network you can use... but it's not that big of a deal.
    11-17-08 11:09 PM
    I know it has been stated that there will be no WiFi for the Storm and many are pretty upset about that. My question is "Why?".

It is also my understanding that we are required to have a data plan. Many have been talking about BIS & BES. I do not know the difference between them. All I know is VZW websites says Email plan is required. Does this mean email, web, navigator, etc.?

If we are required to have the the data plan, what is the need for WiFi when we always have access to the Internet? With my current Moto Q, the Internet seems pretty quick.

Maybe I'm just uneducated on the benifits of a WiFi capable phone, so please educate me kindly.

Thanks,
    Jake
    1) they didn't put it in because supposedly they couldn't fit it, and it would potentially be a drain on battery life. and with Verizon's really great network there essentially would be no need for wifi. but thats just speculation. i agree with you, because wifi can be helpful but not necessarily needed unless you don't have any reception and need internet.

2) BES & BIS, basically im not going to go into it. And unless you use Microsoft Exchange and use a BES server which is for the corporate junkies. you won't need BES, BIS is what you will be needing to get internet and e-mail.

3) Navigator is not included, that will be an extra 9.99, it does however include Unlimited e-mail and web browsing (BIS)
    Last edited by NFLBlitze1; 11-17-08 at 11:28 PM.
    11-17-08 11:18 PM
    Search is your friend. There are numerous posts on pros/cons of presence/lack-of wifi. No need to create a new one just for you.
    11-17-08 11:19 PM
    Do a quick search as I'm sure it has already been covered. However, I believe it was stated by RIM that they just did not have room on the device to include it.

Edit: Damn you guys are quick!
    11-17-08 11:20 PM
    Thanks everyone.
    11-17-08 11:28 PM
    what? there's no wifi on the storm?
    11-17-08 11:50 PM
    i asked my dealer whey there was no wifi on the storm when i was asking about it last week, and she actually laughed, and said something like "why would you need wifi? you have full web browsing on it, with 3G, its just as fast as wifi". i kind of agreed, it doesn't seem that necessary.
    11-17-08 11:54 PM
    i asked my dealer whey there was no wifi on the storm when i was asking about it last week, and she actually laughed, and said something like "why would you need wifi? you have full web browsing on it, with 3G, its just as fast as wifi". i kind of agreed, it doesn't seem that necessary.
    definatly not as fast as wifi, but for rendering web pages, its pretty fast. sort of like a crappy DSL connection. ha, typical verzion
    11-17-08 11:55 PM
    and lets be honest, no one is going to really take the time to find a hotspot and sit there and connect to one.

someone was talking about the VZ Navigator... for 80$ a month you get navigator, unlimited text and internet and 450 minutes so its not bad. but the GPS is unlocked so you dont even need the navigator, you can download your own free one
    11-18-08 12:32 AM
    and lets be honest, no one is going to really take the time to find a hotspot and sit there and connect to one.

someone was talking about the VZ Navigator... for 80$ a month you get navigator, unlimited text and internet and 450 minutes so its not bad. but the GPS is unlocked so you dont even need the navigator, you can download your own free one
    not to mention, most hot spots cost money. unless your in a starbucks or something of that sort, which it could be useful but most likely you'll either have you laptop with you, or have good reception.

also, to stick up for VZ Navigator, that really is a great program. I wouldn't say i actually use it for its turn by turn directions. But if i need something in the area, and i don't have access to internet or a computer, i can type in Pizza and it will find the nearest pizza shop to me, as well i can look up movie times in an instant and not to mention the GPS is quite good. and with a big screen on the storm. if you get one of those suction cup things for the front windshield you can most certainly use it as a solid GPS for ur car. i know i use when i use to walk around philadelphia trying to find a restaurant after i got off the subway. it worked great.
    11-18-08 12:39 AM
    i've never actually used it -- i dont have verizon yet. But i was just stating that if people dont want to pay extra they can use a free version. Although it is part of the premium package anyway, so its not really extra
    11-18-08 12:41 AM
    definatly not as fast as wifi, but for rendering web pages, its pretty fast. sort of like a crappy DSL connection. ha, typical verzion
    Well in all fairness to verizon that is still a true statement. if your trying to access the net with wifi and you have crappy dsl you are still limited to how fast that dsl is....so it is a very true statement

i will say i wont miss wifi. i have it on my current phone. and honestly i have used it maybe once and really...it was just to say that i used it. besides it its ruff on the battery. its just not an important feature to me.
    11-18-08 12:41 AM
    i've never actually used it -- i dont have verizon yet. But i was just stating that if people dont want to pay extra they can use a free version. Although it is part of the premium package anyway, so its not really extra
    oh i know i was just pointing out the great GPS that verizon offers. when it comes down to paying around 10 bucks a mont, a 2 year contract will give you an up to date, constantly updated UI plus tons of features always being added for 250 for 2 years. ain't so bad, i have it on my LG Chocolate right now, i don't use it for navigation because my car has built in navi. but it definatly comes in handy when walking around the city
    11-18-08 12:43 AM
    well i must say I am just excited for the storm. I dont get navi on my current phone, so this is going to be a big step up!
    11-18-08 12:45 AM
    well i must say I am just excited for the storm. I dont get navi on my current phone, so this is going to be a big step up!
    im not sure if they are still doing this, but i believe when you sign a new contract you can get VZ Navigator for free for one month, you should try it out, i doubt you'll be using it often unless you look up directions or restaurants alot but i like it.
    11-18-08 12:47 AM
    ican anybody confirm that without doubt VZ navigator comes free with unlimited internet plan from verizon? i have heard this but not really sure if its true.
    11-18-08 12:51 AM
    im not sure if they are still doing this, but i believe when you sign a new contract you can get VZ Navigator for free for one month, you should try it out, i doubt you'll be using it often unless you look up directions or restaurants alot but i like it.
    i am going on a family plan, but its part of the premium family plan so i will get to play with it
    11-18-08 12:52 AM
    ican anybody confirm that without doubt VZ navigator comes free with unlimited internet plan from verizon? i have heard this but not really sure if its true.
    the premium plans (family or individual) comes with unlimited text/internet VZ nav and all the other basic stuff. For 450 its 80$

Enter your location
    11-18-08 12:54 AM
    hmm well i do have unlimited text and net on a family plan. not all of the phones have net on them just mine but they all have unlimited text. not sure if i will have it or not. would know for sure if my current phone wasnt a gimp
    11-18-08 12:56 AM
    yea it looks like you have the connect plan. I've heard good things and bad things... but thats like everything in the world so its really up to you. I am sure you could ask them for a month trial
    11-18-08 12:59 AM
    i dont want a trial...for how much that plan costs i should get it free lol. if they wont give it to me free i will just look for external software to download that will have somethign similar to VZ Nav. would like voice turn by turn. that would be sweet!

oh wait thats right what was i thinking apps arent available for blackberrys. just go ask all the iphoney fanatics out there that flame blackberry as terrible cuz it has no app store LOL
    11-18-08 01:10 AM
    IM going to post why I personally was upset at no wifi. It really for the most part didn't have anything to do with the speed problem. There is a few apps on my current phone that are really usefull for my job (being in IT)

1) being able to VNC a server/computer on the network. Now without wifi I will have to vpn in and this can make it quite a bit slower not that the verizon network cant handle it but the current vpn setup only allows for so much speed other wise it would get bogged down.

2) I have a speed test application for networks up/down speed. I didn't use it much to check anything but wifi speeds on the network.

without going into to many more details there was a bunch of other network admin tools that are nice to have that are pretty useless without wifi. Yes it is true I can accomplish all of this through a laptop or desktop but it was nice to have a few things on the phone when I was out and about fixing things around the network.
    11-18-08 01:18 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD